Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
That's so stupid, why do they make you go there to change a battery?

I just like having two batteries for my computers and phones.

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's so stupid, why do they make you go there to change a battery?

I just like having two batteries for my computers and phones.

Because an internal battery consumes no space for replacement mechanisms like a replaceable battery would, thus it can offer much more power storage and longer battery life.

HyperMac was a company offering external batteries using the MagSafe adapter, but Apple got an injunction on them using the MagSafe adapter, thus you have to use other sources like eBay to find those external batteries.

Btw, even if the battery was user replaceable, you know, that you would have to always unscrew the bottom plate to do so?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I can take it out in less than a minute but I'm not allowed to replace it on my own?

Just sounds weird.

You can take the current battery out in less than a minute? Wow, that is unscrewing twelve tiny screws.
That is a lot of hassle for a battery switch, but maybe you can find an Apple Authorised store/repair shop, which carries those batteries and is willing to sell them to you, as you already seem to have voided your warranty.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Because an internal battery consumes no space for replacement mechanisms like a replaceable battery would, thus it can offer much more power storage and longer battery life.
I think the replacement mechanisms don't really take up all that much space. For that alone it wouldn't be worth it. The problem is same they had with cars those cells need to be packed in a very tough case in order to be secure and meet all the regulations. But you can skimp on that stuff if it is always protected by the notebook case.
The protection is probably 1.5-2 mm in all which is on top and bottom quite a bit. Now it is probably like .5mm or less.
The replacement mechanisms in the last MBP didn't make it any thicker and neither was the space for the battery pack significantly smaller.

In marketing they don't say such things. Yeah we removed the replace option so we could make less secure battery packs which can store more energy because they don't waste so much space for a tough enclosure. No they say "This whole mechanisms just take soo much space thats all."

That is probably also the reason they don't want to allow every idiot to ship those packs around and throw them on the desk or in bags and replace them even if it can be done fairly quickly(or they could have built the notebook in a way that allowed a much quicker replacement).

Nov 28, 2010
located
I think the replacement mechanisms don't really take up all that much space. For that alone it wouldn't be worth it.

It was worth it for going from 45 Wh (5 hours of battery) via 58 Wh (7 hours of battery to 63.5 Wh (10 hour of battery) from the 2008 13" Unibody MacBook via the 13" MacBook Pro (2009) to the 2010 13" MBP.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I think the replacement mechanisms don't really take up all that much space. For that alone it wouldn't be worth it.
It's too much to ask for, reading the whole post before quoting it, is it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It's too much to ask for, reading the whole post before quoting it, is it.

It is not too much to ask.

Anyway, the percentage of people using replaceable batteries is so small, that Apple said to itself, screw those few. It is the same with all the fancy video adapters and Apple Remotes, that came with Macs as standard for a time. To few people were actually using it.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
Wow, you are planning to carry two battery and switch them even if it takes unscrewing 12 screws and only way to charge them back is place inside the mbp and charge?
o_O

RayStray

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Apple is Big Brother

First I wanna say I love Mac OSX and I love my Apple Computer like everyone else. But the real reason for the internal only battery is that by making it not user replaceable, when we all know that it is a consumable item and will need to be replaced eventually, Apple is guaranteeing a steady stream of "for Pay" service work. Since they would probably sue the pooh out of any one that made a battery that would fit inside their computer, they can now cut out third party competition. Since the battery is almost guaranteed to last through the one year warranty, they will replace almost none of them for free. Next even if your system is out of warranty, they will not sell you a replacement battery and the last time I checked I could not find any from other vendors, although I have found a few for 09 uni body Mac Book Pros, I have a 2011 and there do not seem to be any. They want to control the system completely and make sure that they get a piece of any work required, how much of the $179.00 replacement cost is actually the battery and how much is the labor that half or more of the people on this forum could do themselves? I hope someone does come out with replacements. After my warranty is up and my battery goes bad, I would rather replace it myself and save the money, even if the Apple product is superior, when an average replacement is about $49.00 installed myself and Apples is $179 installed by them, it can fail three times before I am at the same cost. Assuming the original lasts 1.5 to 2 years (Lets Hope) and a $49.00 replacement lasts even 1 year, by that time (3 years) I will be ready for a new laptop and can use the extra $100.00 I save to buy a new overpriced Apple laptop. And the extra length on the battery life is the bait with which they get away with this, by the way the Mac Book C2D I replaced, ran about 5 hours. This one only runs about 5 hours too, but I cannot pack an extra battery(possibly a non apple brand) in my back pack with me. When I questioned Apple about my battery life they indicated that I would need to turn off BlueTooth, turn the brightness on the screen way down to get the advertised battery life, that the 5 hours I was getting was typical of average use. So where it the extra battery life that I am loosing an easily replaceable part for? And maybe someday they will start including the disks for the system software I own by buying the computer again. Oh wait, that would stop them from making a couple hundred bucks off of every non-technical user that has a complete hard drive crash, if the disks were included they might have the ability to get another hard drive in there and reinstall themselves. But with no media they hope it will result in a trip to the Apple store and more money. Apple should really change some of their ways before customers that have been loyal for years start to lose all respect. Fear the Cloud, with the Cloud they control the software that used to be on your computer. Make Apple mad, loose your Itunes and the money you spent.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.