Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
i have an ipad2 32gb, which is good enough for video, music, and games.
you think 16gb is enough? or 32gb worth for extra 100?

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
I have almost 10 gigs of music and if I am going to be using the phone for 2 years there's no way it will be enough space. I've had my Android phone for a year and 70 apps is over 6 gigs so I'm definitely going with 32.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
i have an ipad2 32gb, which is good enough for video, music, and games.
you think 16gb is enough? or 32gb worth for extra 100?

Your iPad should give you a pretty good idea about how much stuff you can fit in 32GB, so why don't you take it from there and extrapolate?

Just estimate how much you will sync to the phone (and add some gigs of free space to that if you're going to take a lot of pictures or record video).

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
It depends what you need. I have a 16GB iPad and it's more than enough. I've had it for over a year, and there is still 10.8GB of space left. I sync everything to my iPad, too. For an iPhone, I will not be syncing everything - I will be picking and choosing what to put on it, so 16GB is more than enough. I could probably make do with 8GB.

Like I said, it all depends how much stuff you want to have on your device. For me, I mainly use Safari, Mail, maybe one or two extra apps such as Angry Birds, and about 100 songs from the iTunes store. Other people have a lot more stuff, so they will need the 32GB. I think 64GB for a phone is very impressive, but I definitely would not need that much space.

I have a 1TB iMac that I bought in 2009 as my primary computer, and I still have 976.75GB available. I really wish it was only 500GB, because I really don't know what I'm going to do with all that space!

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I have always bought the entry level size and have been fine but with iCloud, 1080p recording and 8MP camera, I'm going to go for the 32GB this time.

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
Someone said 1080p files will be HUGE. Which is true, But it doesn't affect me because any videos taken will be Imported onto my Macbook, Then deleted off the iPhone.

16GB here. :)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Someone said 1080p files will be HUGE. Which is true, But it doesn't affect me because any videos taken will be Imported onto my Macbook, Then deleted off the iPhone.

How often? My 1080P camcorder runs ~6 minutes per gigabyte. Assuming you have SOME music and apps on your phone, you won't have much room left - you're going to sync to your laptop every 15-20 minutes?

abbaabba82

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
How often? My 1080P camcorder runs ~6 minutes per gigabyte. Assuming you have SOME music and apps on your phone, you won't have much room left - you're going to sync to your laptop every 15-20 minutes?

Well...when are you gonna film more than 6 or 12 minutes a day lol...its usually a few seconds that you film anything at all...well for me at least...im not gonna spend my day filming hrs of video over an iphone... besides, that is how you will create great videos...u film seconds of vid...and then u combine and edit it after to make your final video...which you do on your macbook anyways so...yeah... but again, it depends, if u have 16gig of songs on ur iphone u cant film anything at all lol...btw, lets see... like 3 gigs of songs is what...over a thousands songs on your iphone??? 16 gig is more than enough if you manage it well...if u got money to spare then go higher of course...

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Just been out all day and taken quite a few photos on it, plus a couple of 3-4 minute videos which are great quality (so I'm using it more).

I've had to delete a lot of music so I have 4GB space left for photos and videos like this. I wish I'd got the 32GB because I'm having to delete videos and photos once I've synced them.

32GB all the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.