Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm a new mac user...in my photos folder there is iPhoto library and photo booth libary could i delete these two icons?

Trance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
heres a screenshot:
screenshot20111006at257.png

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you delete them, you will loose any pictures in iPhoto now. You can, but you probably don't want to. If you don't have any pictures on your Mac, then it won't make a difference. Although, iPhoto and photo booth will probably create new versions whenever you open the apps.

Goober0311

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
I don't want to delete my iPhoto but do have a question about it now that we are talking about the icon/file. When I open up my hard drive, from the desk top, and click on iPhoto it opens iPhoto. I am wondering how do I just find my pics that are in iPhoto without opening it everytime I want to send a pic/file somewhere.

And also how do you take screen shots. I'm pretty new to Mac's and I am trying to learn everything that I can. Thanks. Not trying to steal the thread.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I don't want to delete my iPhoto but do have a question about it now that we are talking about the icon/file. When I open up my hard drive, from the desk top, and click on iPhoto it opens iPhoto. I am wondering how do I just find my pics that are in iPhoto without opening it everytime I want to send a pic/file somewhere.

And also how do you take screen shots. I'm pretty new to Mac's and I am trying to learn everything that I can. Thanks. Not trying to steal the thread.

When you open the OPEN dialog in any application, that supports it, you can look at the left and hopefully see a "Media" section, where you can browse your iPhoto library, as iPhoto stores all photos you import into one "file", which is a package of several files and folders, in which you shouldn't mess around. But you can set iPhoto to not store the imported photos in that library and use the location you import them from. Take a look ate the iPhoto preferences for that.

Taking screenshots

Goober0311

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
When you open the OPEN dialog in any application, that supports it, you can look at the left and hopefully see a "Media" section, where you can browse your iPhoto library, as iPhoto stores all photos you import into one "file", which is a package of several files and folders, in which you shouldn't mess around. But you can set iPhoto to not store the imported photos in that library and use the location you import them from. Take a look ate the iPhoto preferences for that.

So what do I do if I want to take all my photos and put them on an external hard drive for example?

Nov 28, 2010
located
So what do I do if I want to take all my photos and put them on an external hard drive for example?

If you use the iPhoto Library file to store your photos, then simply copy the iPhoto Library file to the external HDD, and upon starting iPhoto hold down the OPTION key to select the correct library.

Btw, with digital photos it is always good to have at least one back up, I have two back ups of my photos and videos, thus I have three copies, but as they are irreplaceable, the more the better.

Goober0311

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
If you use the iPhoto Library file to store your photos, then simply copy the iPhoto Library file to the external HDD, and upon starting iPhoto hold down the OPTION key to select the correct library.

Btw, with digital photos it is always good to have at least one back up, I have two back ups of my photos and videos, thus I have three copies, but as they are irreplaceable, the more the better.

So there is no way to just get the files of pics with out iPhoto. My external is formatted for both OS X and windows, my fiancee would like to have most of my pictures and emailing a huge file or multiple files would suck. So that is why I want to put them on the external as just files.

You also said "if i use iPhoto to store the photo's", where else could I store them. I usually take them right off the camera to iphoto but if there is a better place to store them I am all ears.

And I agree about having back ups, this is the other reason for my question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.