Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I currently have an iPod Touch 2nd Generation that is very old and slow. Because Apple didn't release an upgrade (it might have a white model but I don't consider that an upgrade) should I just buy a new iPod Touch 4G or should I try and wait it out for the 5G model? Please help! I really can't decide.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you really want a new touch (and I can imagine you do coming from a 2nd gen model, just buy one now. I have had my 4G for almost a year and I love it. You would have to wait at least a year to see a new model, so an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
I currently have an iPod Touch 2nd Generation that is very old and slow. Because Apple didn't release an upgrade (it might have a white model but I don't consider that an upgrade) should I just buy a new iPod Touch 4G or should I try and wait it out for the 5G model? Please help! I really can't decide.

Buy it

I am going to knock my self out and but it.
Waited several months for a decent upgrade...oh well

I was going to buy no matter what happened :cool:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I recommend trying to find an iPhone 4 for the same/similar price as a comparably sized (GB) iPod Touch. I bought a pristine 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 with a bad ESN for $210. Except for the inability to use FaceTime (requires cell service), it functions even better than an iPod Touch.

I tried locating an AT&T iPhone 4 so that I could get FaceTime via a prepaid SIM, but the AT&T models are insanely expensive.

If you can't find an affordable iPhone 4, then by all means get the current iPod Touch 4G... it's a very fine device and even the substandard camera can be tweaked with optional software for higher res/quality images.

cplego7

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I recommend trying to find an iPhone 4 for the same/similar price as a comparably sized (GB) iPod Touch. I bought a pristine 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 with a bad ESN for $210. Except for the inability to use FaceTime (requires cell service), it functions even better than an iPod Touch.

I tried locating an AT&T iPhone 4 so that I could get FaceTime via a prepaid SIM, but the AT&T models are insanely expensive.

If you can't find an affordable iPhone 4, then by all means get the current iPod Touch 4G... it's a very fine device and even the substandard camera can be tweaked with optional software for higher res/quality images.

----
I've been thinking about buying an iphone 4 with bad esn but i want to figure out what all i will need to do in order to make it pretty much like an ipod touch. Is it easy? What all does it take? Does everything working just like an ipod touch( except of corse the facetime).

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA

What is this camera tweaking software you speak of? Google doesn't seem to want to tell me.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
The iPod Touch is now old tech at a high price.

Do NOT buy at the current price.

If I were in the market, I'd look for a used iPhone 4 or get one of the new Samsung PMPs, they look awesome. Also, if you have a BIG pocket, the Kindle FIRE is $200 tax free and shipped.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The iPod Touch is now old tech at a high price.

Do NOT buy at the current price.

If I were in the market, I'd look for a used iPhone 4 or get one of the new Samsung PMPs, they look awesome. Also, if you have a BIG pocket, the Kindle FIRE is $200 tax free and shipped.

It really isn't that expensive. For 199, you're getting an impressive PDA. The 64GB model is expensive, but if your in the market for a pocket size media player, streaming can be done quite well on the iPod touch.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What is this camera tweaking software you speak of? Google doesn't seem to want to tell me.
ClearCam in the iTunes App store. It takes a rapid sequence of pictures, analyzes them, and creates a higher res photo. It's only $1.99 and I've been very impressed with the results.

I don't always use ClearCam, but when all I have is my iPod Touch and need to take a higher res photo, ClearCam does the job.

----
I've been thinking about buying an iphone 4 with bad esn but i want to figure out what all i will need to do in order to make it pretty much like an ipod touch. Is it easy? What all does it take? Does everything working just like an ipod touch( except of corse the facetime).
It is easy. Doesn't take anything special. It works exactly like an iPod Touch (except FaceTime) only better. I put the iPhone into Airplane mode (to disable useless cell communication) and then turn Wifi on. I took the iPhone-specific apps, threw them in a folder, on a far screen so that they're out of the way.

Last edited:

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
It is easy. Doesn't take anything special. It works exactly like an iPod Touch (except FaceTime) only better. I put the iPhone into Airplane mode (to disable useless cell communication) and then turn Wifi on. I took the iPhone-specific apps, threw them in a folder, on a far screen so that they're out of the way.

Where can I get one of these? And is there any way to get charged money for a data plan or anything on accident while using it?

cplego7

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
ClearCam in the iTunes App store. It takes a rapid sequence of pictures, analyzes them, and creates a higher res photo. It's only $1.99 and I've been very impressed with the results.

I don't always use ClearCam, but when all I have is my iPod Touch and need to take a higher res photo, ClearCam does the job.

Thanks for the reply! Ok I have two more questions, did you restore it in itunes when you got it in order to put all your music and things on it? If you did that, on the lock screen, does it say "waiting for activation" (like if you bought it new) or does it not say that because of a bad esn? Thanks again for your help!:)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Where can I get one of these? And is there any way to get charged money for a data plan or anything on accident while using it?
I got mine on eBay. The Verizon iPhones, especially those with a bad ESN are the cheapest.... No, there is no way to accidentally be charged for a data plan.

Thanks for the reply! Ok I have two more questions, did you restore it in itunes when you got it in order to put all your music and things on it? If you did that, on the lock screen, does it say "waiting for activation" (like if you bought it new) or does it not say that because of a bad esn? Thanks again for your help!:)
Yes, I restored it. No, it didn't say "waiting for activation" probably because it was already activated before.

If you guys can score a Verizon iPhone 4 w/bad ESN for the similar price as an iPod Touch I highly recommend it.

Agilitizer

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Yes, I restored it. No, it didn't say "waiting for activation" probably because it was already activated before.

If you guys can score a Verizon iPhone 4 w/bad ESN for the similar price as an iPod Touch I highly recommend it.
I was wondering, will a Verizon iPhone with a bad ESN would still work if its iOS was upgraded?

Agilitizer

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
As a phone it wouldn't, but as an ipod I think it would still work. Is that what you ment?
What I meant was would you be able to get past the emergency calls activation screen (if you updated the firmware one a phone with bad ESN)?

Last edited:

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
What I meant was would you be able to get past the emergency calls activation screen (if you updated the firmware one a phone with bad ESN)?

Yes it would work just like an ordinary iPod touch. The phone will just not work.

Thanks to this thread I decided to skip the iPhone 4S and just got a verizon 32gig (bad esn) white iPhone 4 for a little over $300. Next I'll add a nokia unlocked phone for my calls and data/ wifi hot spot needs and I'm set to go! All this will be below $600 and beats waiting for apple to release an unlocked 4S 16gig which would have been about $700 with tax.

A Verizon (bad esn) iPhone is the best iPod touch ever!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes it would work just like an ordinary iPod touch. The phone will just not work.

Thanks to this thread I decided to skip the iPhone 4S and just got a verizon 32gig (bad esn) white iPhone 4 for a little over $300. Next I'll add a nokia unlocked phone for my calls and data/ wifi hot spot needs and I'm set to go! All this will be below $600 and beats waiting for apple to release an unlocked 4S 16gig which would have been about $700 with tax.

Excellent.

I have a similar setup, but use an LG Optimus V on VirginMobile for data/wifi hotspot needs. I was grandfathered into their $25/month 300 talk/unlimited text/unlimited data. Works great. But even with their new pricing structure it is still worth it.

I have Skype with the Skype in/Skype out features ($60 a year combined) and can use that with my iPhone as a VOIP handset. So if I wanted to, I could relegate my Optimus V to simply being a "smart" hotspot and use my iPhone for everything else.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

Sorry, I don't know much about the Touch since I never owned one, but have own a copule of iPhones. What is the advantage of an iPhone without cell service as an iPod instead of a current gen iPod Touch?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

If you have a 1st gen, 2nd gen or an 8gig 3rd gen, then upgrade.

Otherwise, don't.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Sorry, I don't know much about the Touch since I never owned one, but have own a copule of iPhones. What is the advantage of an iPhone without cell service as an iPod instead of a current gen iPod Touch?

The iPhone 4S has better hardware than the current touch, but those are expensive. I'm really not sure how an iPhone 4 is better than the touch other than cameras.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The iPhone 4S has better hardware than the current touch, but those are expensive. I'm really not sure how an iPhone 4 is better than the touch other than cameras.

Really depends on the person and need. For me Better Camera (also volume + - makes a better shutter button), Vibration, Led Notification (with iOS 5), GPS (a must for me) and better battery.

Hopefully the next iPod touch has a bit of the above features.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The iPhone 4 is a better iPod Touch than an iPod Touch because (just a few reasons):
  • Camera. The camera is significantly higher quality.
  • Screen. A true retina display.
  • Battery. Battery life (with the cell communication portion disabled via airplane mode) is significantly better.
  • Speaker/Mic. Speaker is far louder and mic more sensitive.
  • Button placement. The flat edges of the iPhone make accessing buttons easier than on the severely sloped edges of the Touch.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Get the 4 I have it since last November and its great. I really don't need a good camera or that much RAM. Battery life is awesome on mine usually a day and a half. I really only multitask a couple apps maybe 2-8 and no slow downs.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
So I am thinking of getting an iPhone 4 but how would I get it? Sorry I am a little confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.