Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
42!!!!
Hi guys, I almost laughed my butt off when I got this response from Garbagesoft. It started with me updated my Mac Pro to Lion, Netflix's Watch Instantly stopped working instantly, Silverlight just simply won't install, I followed every steps Netflix recommaneded, two phone calls to Netflix led to nothing but frustration. naturally Netflix bounced me to Garbagesoft which led to this ridiculous "solution"-Garbagesoft style. If Garbagesoft only had done it right in the first place, none of these 42 steps will take place. And I did all these steps it still won't work, what a piece of junk this Silverlight, does anyone have this problem? I keep getting the error code 2104.

Hello Rich,

Thank you for requesting support for Microsoft Silverlight my name is Syed and I will be working with you to resolve your issue.

Rich, I am sure it is frustarting when things don't go as you want it to be. Let me see what best I can do for you in order to resolve this issue.

I understand from reading your email you are attempting to view content in Silverlight for Mac and Silverlight is not working.

I know that you have already removed and reinstalled but in the past we have seen success with the plug-in being manually reinstalled to rule out a corrupt installation of Silverlight.

To manually uninstall Silverlight please perform the steps outlined below:

1. Quit all open browsers (Firefox/Safari), please ensure that they are completely quit and not just minimized to the Dock by going to the Apple menu and choosing Force Quit, when a browser is still running in the force quit window, force the browser to quit.
2. Click on Go in the top menu in Finder.
3. Choose Computer.
4. Open the hard drive, usually named Macintosh HD.
5. Open the Library.
6. Go to Internet Plug-ins.
7. Drag Silverlight.plugin and WPFe.plugin (when this file is there) to the Trash.
8. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.
9. Open the Application Support folder.
10. Open the Microsoft folder.
11. Move the Silverlight folder if it is there to the trash.
12. Move the PlayReady folder if it is there to the trash as well.
13. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.
14. Open the Receipts folder.
15. Look for the Silverlight.pkg, Silverlight_W2_MIX.pkg and WPFe.pkg files and move them to the trash.
16. If you are using Snow Leopard (10.6), follow these additional steps:
1. In the Finder, click Go, and then click Go to Folder.
2. Type the following text in the Go to the folder box:
/private/var/db/receipts
3. Click Go.
4. Drag to the Trash all receipts that start with "com.microsoft.installSilverlightPlugin", you will be prompted for your Admin password when you move files from this location to the Trash.

17. Click on Go.
18. Choose Home.
19. Open the Library folder.
20. Open the Preferences folder.
21. Look for the com.microsoft.silverlight.plist, com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin.loader.plist and com.microsoft.playready.plist files and move them to the trash.
22. Go back to the (Home) Library folder.
23. Open Application Support.
24. Open Microsoft.
25. Move the Silverlight folder to the trash when it is there.
26. Check your Trash to make sure there is nothing you want to keep then empty your Trash.
27. Restart your Mac.

To install Silverlight please perform the steps outlined below.

1. Launch your web browser (Firefox/Safari) and visit http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight
2. You will see a blue "Click to Install" button.
3. Click this button to download the file.
4. After the file is downloaded, the installer will warn you that "This package contains a program that determines if the software can be installed." Click Continue.
5. On the Introduction page, click Continue.
6. On the License page, click Continue and choose Agree on the next screen when you want to install Silverlight.
7. On the Installation Type page, click Install.
8. You will be prompted to authenticate. Enter your Administrator user name and password. Click OK to continue.
9. On the Finish Up page, click Close to exit the installer.
10. Restart your Mac.
11. Visit http://www.Silverlight.net/ and go to Showcase, if you can view this page without being prompted to install Silverlight then it has installed successfully. If you have both Safari and Firefox on your Mac, attempt to access this site in both.

njchub

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
so many steps

MacPC: Thank you for posting...I though I was never going to be able to watch Netflix on my mac again.

belleyflop67

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
42 steps that didn't work for me

42 steps that didn't work for me. same spot i was in. i restarted & when i tried to install fresh, it asked if i wanted to replace the silverlight that was already there. i followed every, single step to trash it.

Hello Rich,

Thank you for requesting support for Microsoft Silverlight my name is Syed and I will be working with you to resolve your issue.

Rich, I am sure it is frustarting when things don't go as you want it to be. Let me see what best I can do for you in order to resolve this issue.

I understand from reading your email you are attempting to view content in Silverlight for Mac and Silverlight is not working.

I know that you have already removed and reinstalled but in the past we have seen success with the plug-in being manually reinstalled to rule out a corrupt installation of Silverlight.

To manually uninstall Silverlight please perform the steps outlined below:

1. Quit all open browsers (Firefox/Safari), please ensure that they are completely quit and not just minimized to the Dock by going to the Apple menu and choosing Force Quit, when a browser is still running in the force quit window, force the browser to quit.
2. Click on Go in the top menu in Finder.
3. Choose Computer.
4. Open the hard drive, usually named Macintosh HD.
5. Open the Library.
6. Go to Internet Plug-ins.
7. Drag Silverlight.plugin and WPFe.plugin (when this file is there) to the Trash.
8. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.
9. Open the Application Support folder.
10. Open the Microsoft folder.
11. Move the Silverlight folder if it is there to the trash.
12. Move the PlayReady folder if it is there to the trash as well.
13. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.
14. Open the Receipts folder.
15. Look for the Silverlight.pkg, Silverlight_W2_MIX.pkg and WPFe.pkg files and move them to the trash.
16. If you are using Snow Leopard (10.6), follow these additional steps:
1. In the Finder, click Go, and then click Go to Folder.
2. Type the following text in the Go to the folder box:
/private/var/db/receipts
3. Click Go.
4. Drag to the Trash all receipts that start with "com.microsoft.installSilverlightPlugin", you will be prompted for your Admin password when you move files from this location to the Trash.

17. Click on Go.
18. Choose Home.
19. Open the Library folder.
20. Open the Preferences folder.
21. Look for the com.microsoft.silverlight.plist, com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin.loader.plist and com.microsoft.playready.plist files and move them to the trash.
22. Go back to the (Home) Library folder.
23. Open Application Support.
24. Open Microsoft.
25. Move the Silverlight folder to the trash when it is there.
26. Check your Trash to make sure there is nothing you want to keep then empty your Trash.
27. Restart your Mac.

To install Silverlight please perform the steps outlined below.

1. Launch your web browser (Firefox/Safari) and visit http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight
2. You will see a blue "Click to Install" button.
3. Click this button to download the file.
4. After the file is downloaded, the installer will warn you that "This package contains a program that determines if the software can be installed." Click Continue.
5. On the Introduction page, click Continue.
6. On the License page, click Continue and choose Agree on the next screen when you want to install Silverlight.
7. On the Installation Type page, click Install.
8. You will be prompted to authenticate. Enter your Administrator user name and password. Click OK to continue.
9. On the Finish Up page, click Close to exit the installer.
10. Restart your Mac.
11. Visit http://www.Silverlight.net/ and go to Showcase, if you can view this page without being prompted to install Silverlight then it has installed successfully. If you have both Safari and Firefox on your Mac, attempt to access this site in both.[/QUOTE]

Pval

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Holland
I was pretty sure I heard Silverlight had been discontinued, but I can't find any reference to it on google. The latest version of Silverlight is however dated Dec 2011, also the latest post on the Silverlight homepage was made in that same month: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Compatibility with current browser versions and OS versions. If needed of course.

What might help this thread is people mention what OS and browser versions they are using.

It's just a plugin like Flash..

MBP 10.8.2 and safari 6.02 as well as FireFox 18, Chromium 24, and Opera 12.11

MP is on 10.7.5 uses all the other browsers but uses Safari 5

My daughters MacBook is on 10.6.8 Safari 5 and all the other browsers minus Opera.

Wife's MBP 10.8.2 Safari 6.02 and FF 18

jubilea

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
excellent advice and clear instructions!

I followed this person's advice to the letter and it finally worked! (after about 10 unsuccessful tries). Thank you! I also wanted to commend you for your clear, detailed instructions so that even someone who's a little computer savvy but not much could complete each step with ease. Yeay! I finally have Netflix again!

brentwalker

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Un-fxxxxing believable. This is typical Microsoft modus operandi.

I'm so happy I don't develop software for Windows anymore... that means I don't have to use it.

Microsoft suffers from having a lot of brilliant people that love to sit in meetings debating the proper way to develop software (my friends worked there for a while). When it comes to actually doing something though, they fail. It's similar to the old adage: Those who can't do, teach.

If Netflix would pull it's head out of *ahem* the sand, they might be able to rid themselves of the MS disease.

Many thanks to you for the multi-page/multi-reboot work around.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Is Silverlight running out of steam? I see many websites once requiring it now DUMPING it for flash.

----------

If Silverlight is dying... and everyone abandons it this means flash will triumph though I would much rather see HTML5 win over flash and silverlight.. At last maybe my G5 Quad might be able to run Netflix.

Un-fxxxxing believable. This is typical Microsoft modus operandi.

I'm so happy I don't develop software for Windows anymore... that means I don't have to use it.

Microsoft suffers from having a lot of brilliant people that love to sit in meetings debating the proper way to develop software (my friends worked there for a while). When it comes to actually doing something though, they fail. It's similar to the old adage: Those who can't do, teach.

If Netflix would pull it's head out of *ahem* the sand, they might be able to rid themselves of the MS disease.

Many thanks to you for the multi-page/multi-reboot work around.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Errr… old thread~

I much prefer Silverlight over Flash. Main reason being my computer doesn't get hot running Silverlight (oppose to running Flash).

As for installing Silverlight, it takes me two steps (download and install) and I don't even need close my browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.