Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the hallmarks of Steve Jobs' career was his attention to detail, particularly in areas of design, whether it be from an aesthetic or functional point of view. The New York Times takes a look at how Jobs influenced the design of computers and other consumer electronics, turning what had been utilitarian appliances into works of art with strong aesthetic appeal. Apple's product designs, spearheaded by Jobs and Jony Ive, are regarded so highly for their aesthetics that a number of them have been included in museums of design and modern art.
Mr. Jobs "had an exceptional eye for design, and not just an eye, but an intelligence for design," [senior curator at New York's Museum of Modern Art Paola] Antonelli said. "We don't talk just about the looks, but how objects communicate: The specific shape, how it feels in the hand, under the fingers, how you read it in the eye and the mind. This is what Steve cared passionately about."
jobs_imac_g3.jpg

The report makes reference to comments Jobs made to Fortune back in 2000, an interview which made clear his drive to bring good design to Apple's products.
"We don't have good language to talk about this kind of thing," Mr. Jobs replied. "In most people's vocabularies, design means veneer. It's interior decorating. It's the fabric of the curtains and the sofa. But to me, nothing could be further from the meaning of design. Design is the fundamental soul of a man-made creation that ends up expressing itself in successive outer layers of the product or service. The iMac is not just the color or translucence or the shape of the shell. The essence of the iMac is to be the finest possible consumer computer in which each element plays together. ... That is the furthest thing from veneer. It was at the core of the product the day we started. This is what customers pay us for -- to sweat all these details so it's easy and pleasant for them to use our computers. We're supposed to be really good at this. That doesn't mean we don't listen to customers, but it's hard for them to tell you what they want when they've never seen anything remotely like it."
And while Jobs will no longer be a part of the Apple design process, it's clear that he helped chart out a course for Apple's future that will see consumers still reaping the rewards of his attention to detail years into the future. Yesterday, we noted that Jobs was reportedly actively involved in overseeing development of the next-generation iPhone even as the iPhone 4S is yet to make its way into customers' hands. And the Daily Mail reports that Jobs is claimed to have left behind four years' worth of product plans across Apple's product lines, leaving the company well-stocked as it looks toward the future.
He has also been overseeing the development of the delayed iCloud project, which will allow Apple users to store their music, photos and other documents remotely and masterminding updated versions of the iPod, iPad, iPhone and MacBooks, ensuring at least four years' worth of products are in the pipeline, according to Apple sources.
Those designs will obviously have to evolve to respond to the changing technological and competitive landscape, but it is clear that Jobs was looking toward the future up until the very end, leaving behind a legacy of focus on design and a company culture infused with the ideals to carry that legacy forward into the future.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Leaves Apple's Pipeline with Four Years of Products

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta
That good to know but it will be interesting to see if the new CEO will adhere to those plans. Still cant believe he passed away.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I find that very hard to believe, considering the fast-changing nature of the tech industry.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
What an extraordinary human being. I can't see anyone's vision in the Tech industry come close to Steve's.

:apple:

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Be interesting to see what happens over the coming years. I am hopeful and skeptical at the same time. I know they have a great team that is very creative, just hope management has the same drive collectively to push for greatness even when it seems impossible.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Just watched his keynote at the '97 WWDC yesterday and it almost makes me think there could be 10 years of plans in the pipe line. Early on, he basically lays out iCloud and the MacBook Air. My impression is that things like iPod and iPhone spent less time between concept and reality, but he clearly had an idea of where the hardware and storage were moving a full decade in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnO7D5UaDig

Reactions: Schwyz

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I think his greatest gift was his passion for working at Apple and making these amazing things. He didn't do things because he was the CEO. He didn't do things because he wanted to mint money (he could've easily been way more wealthier). He did things because he really really wanted to make the most amazing products. Which he did!

It's good news that we're set at least for the next 4 years :)

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Delayed iCloud project?

I wonder why the article mentions that the iCloud project/feature is delayed? Was it supposed to debut sooner? Or maybe they mean that .Mac/MobilMe/iSync was supposed to do what iCloud promises now to do? But that seems to assume too much reading into that statement. Has iCloud been delayed?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Apple's the one that changes it.

In a way yes they do. But Apple does adapt and respond to outside innovations as well. I suspect these are only roadmaps, all subject to change or modified in some way as the world changes.

It's best not to focus too much on this pipeline, instead just concentrate on being the best.

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
The Daily Mail?

In the UK we don't generally rely on what the Daily Mail reports; you just have to look at the photo-stories to the RHS of featured story in DM website to understand why.

The Daily Mail would normallying be pilfering tech leads from sites such as this and I'm not sure it should be the other way around.

We've been blessed to live at the same time as Steve and benefit first hand from his work. Steve was cursed to be fully aware of his own mortality and such a passioned and prolific (if the patents give us any clue) individual no doubt had been rolling the clock forward at a greater and greater rate in the past years.

RIP Steve.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I think apple is in good shape. Jobs has known what condition he was in and set them up nicely for the future

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
Just watched his keynote at the '97 WWDC yesterday and it almost makes me think there could be 10 years of plans in the pipe line. Early on, he basically lays out iCloud and the MacBook Air. My impression is that things like iPod and iPhone spent less time between concept and reality, but he clearly had an idea of where the hardware and storage were moving a full decade in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnO7D5UaDig

It struck me that we'll probably find a Steve had a Da Vinci-esque 'notebook' of a thousand ideas that are probably now way ahead of their time. Much like their author.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.