Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NttDocomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I can't find such option in both the AT&T and Apple websites. But I was able to place an order with the retail no commitment price through AT&T CS, just wonder if anyone tried doing so or is there any other way to order one without extending existing contract?

Just wonder even without commitment, will the phone be locked? Also what's the return policy with AT&T? Once I opened the box, is there restocking fee? Thanks :)

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
No commitment option isn't available until sometime in November. That's what I saw when pre-ordering my wife's 4S.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Rethink possible.

Or, buy a plane ticket to Canada or Hong Kong on October 14th.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I came here to ask the same question. I spoke with an Apple rep and she said that none of the preorder options online allow a no commitment price. Sneaky AT&T

dmblue

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
that sucks.. i guess it must be for us only.

i ordered my unlocked 64gb this morning. i was kind of worried when i read this but realized it only applies to US.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
No one in the us has been able to order an unlocked iPhone 4s.
I'm sure some people ordered a locked iphone 4s at full price.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
It's hard to order even at full price. You have to call AT&T customer service. None of the online options allow it. I'm probably going to just return this AT&T locked one to buy the Apple unlocked one for the same price in November.

NttDocomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
yes I was able to order an iPhone 4S from AT&T at retail price $649. I think it's likely locked since it's from AT&T.

However, at this price, I am thinking about cancelling and just wait for the unlocked version, which will be at same price!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
yes I was able to order an iPhone 4S from AT&T at retail price $649. I think it's likely locked since it's from AT&T.

However, at this price, I am thinking about cancelling and just wait for the unlocked version, which will be at same price!

Definitely wait for the unlocked version in Nov. It's a month. Why would you pay so much more for a phone w/o extra benefit?

NttDocomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I'm on VZW. Will I be able to go to Europe and pop in a SIM from over there and it work?

it seems the unlocked version will only work with AT&T. But I am also curious, I heard that the new 4S has both GSM and CDMA in it so would it work for any carrier? Any idea? Thanks.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
it seems the unlocked version will only work with AT&T. But I am also curious, I heard that the new 4S has both GSM and CDMA in it so would it work for any carrier? Any idea? Thanks.

It will work ONLY with SIM carriers. So that means AT&T and T-Mo in the US. On T-Mo, it will be on 2G speed. (They say AT&T because this is who they have an existing relationship with. It's just marketing.)

You can definitely take an unlocked iPhone to any carrier that uses a SIM card.

Verizon & Sprint do not use SIM cards, therefore the unlocked 4S would not work on their service.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
It will work ONLY with SIM carriers. So that means AT&T and T-Mo in the US. On T-Mo, it will be on 2G speed. (They say AT&T because this is who they have an existing relationship with. It's just marketing.)

You can definitely take an unlocked iPhone to any carrier that uses a SIM card.

Verizon & Sprint do not use SIM cards, therefore the unlocked 4S would not work on their service.

Are you sure about that? The iPhone 4s uses a CDMA/GSM chipset. It's likely every version has a slot for a SIM even if it doesn't use one.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
are you sure about that? The iphone 4s uses a cdma/gsm chipset. It's likely every version has a slot for a sim even if it doesn't use one.

From Apple:

The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.
Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 2.01.11 PM.jpg

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
That specifically says iPhone 4 and not iPhone 4s. It's the same text as their unlocked iPhone 4

I doubt they would include such info on the iPhone 4S pre-order page if it didn't also apply to that product. But if you insist:

4. CDMA available only if iPhone 4S is sold and activated for use on a CDMA network.

Last edited:

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010

unlocked iPhone 4s 64 GB will be $849.99 (in Nov)
AT&T locked no commitment iphone 4S 64GB is still $849

if you paid $649 for 64 GB at AT&T you just signed another 2 years contracts ! and its locked to AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.