Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
One of the things im looking forward to most other than the new notification system is imessages. It would be useful to just be able to send text messages from my ipad if i'm using it at the time instead of taking out my iPhone.

I have a question about it though. Say I'm texting another iPhone user from my iPhone, because that would use imessage are those texts going to also come up on my iPad?
The HP Touchpad has something similar to this,all Pre business pops up on the TouchPad screen when the phone is put on the charger at home.

Last edited:

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
One doubt: does reading list save the web page for offline viewing? I thought it did but now I think it doesnt, and that it just works like favourites.

Does someone know?

This.

They say it's like Instapaper, but I haven't seen anyone mention if it saves the articles for when you don't have signal and / or WiFi.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I dont know if this has been mentioned but when you press the home button three times for multitasking and swipe to the right twice you get a volume option.

I don't know but they should really change (or add) the ability to adjust brightness in the same fashion. I hardly ever adjust volume this way as i'ts much quicker to just hit the buttons. I'd really like the ability to adjust the brightness!

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
When you slide to answer a text the sound of the text is cut off, previously in iOS 4 and lower it would continually play through especially if JB and you had longer sounding messages.

Also when you click on something and it makes the selection blue when you let go it fades away, when it used to just cut back to the white color without fading. url's in the we browser fade out instead of just being cut off.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
In SMS / iMessage - pull down on the keyboard to make it disappear and have full screen messages. Love this.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm not sure if it has been implemented since I do not have iOS 5, but I want to be able to access recent webpages visited by holding the back button in Safari. Anybody care to check?

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I'm not sure if it has been implemented since I do not have iOS 5, but I want to be able to access recent webpages visited by holding the back button in Safari. Anybody care to check?

Just checked, nope it's not there. It wasn't in any of the beta's either, so doesn't look like there was ever any plan to implement it.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
Just checked, nope it's not there. It wasn't in any of the beta's either, so doesn't look like there was ever any plan to implement it.

Thanks for checking. It works this way on Desktop Safari, but not Mobile. I'm not sure why they don't implement the feature.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK

This DOES work on the iPad in iOS 5.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Oh, i stand corrected. I have an iPhone 4, so i wasn't aware it was in the iPad betas. My bad.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Really liking the GM on my iPhone 4, been rock solid and butter smooth so far, but I wish wish WISH there were gestures enabled simply due to the unreliability of the home button. 3rd iPhone under warranty here since launch and already the home button is flakey - cant be bothered returning this one as the problem always comes back it seems :(. Everyone I know with the 4 has same issue.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Really liking the GM on my iPhone 4, been rock solid and butter smooth so far, but I wish wish WISH there were gestures enabled simply due to the unreliability of the home button. 3rd iPhone under warranty here since launch and already the home button is flakey - cant be bothered returning this one as the problem always comes back it seems :(. Everyone I know with the 4 has same issue.

The gestures wouldn't work on the iPhone screen, you cannot comfortably do the 5 finger pinch to home screen and 3 fingers or less are given to devs for apps.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I've had my iPhone 4 since january and I've had no problems with my home button

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The gestures wouldn't work on the iPhone screen, you cannot comfortably do the 5 finger pinch to home screen and 3 fingers or less are given to devs for apps.

I had no trouble using gestures under jailbroken iOS 4. It's different, but it's not that bad. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't believe in "not that bad".

I've had my iPhone 4 since january and I've had no problems with my home button

I'll second that, never had an issue with mine.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
  • It seems that Reminders sync with Exchange (Tasks basically), but you can’t set location-based reminders if you’re on Exchange, just with iCloud. You can selectively choose where to sync the reminder.

How do you do this?

mfor1234

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011

I've had the same problem on my 3GS of late. See if you like using Assistive Touch. I didn't think I would, but it's actually grown on me and has massively helped get around my ********* home button.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I've had the same problem on my 3GS of late. See if you like using Assistive Touch. I didn't think I would, but it's actually grown on me and has massively helped get around my ********* home button.

That's interesting, didn't know about that, cheers.

To the others who've had zero problems with their home button - lucky you! Everyone I know irl has intermittent issues ie 2 presses don't register sometimes, 1 press might throw the multitasking bar, 1 or 2 press does nothing. If you think just because you haven't experienced it, it doesn't exist, think again - Apple have exchanged mine for a new one with no argument each time I've took mine, surely a sign, and there's lots of threads/responses talking about it.

As for gestures, a 4 finger swipe up gesture is simple enough on even an iPhone screen, it's only horizontal swipes that are arguably a bit janky due to screen size.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
As for gestures, a 4 finger swipe up gesture is simple enough on even an iPhone screen, it's only horizontal swipes that are arguably a bit janky due to screen size.

I can't do 4 fingers for swiping up, tho it is easier horizontally, but you cannot do the 5 finger pinch to home screen. The only way you can do them all comfortably is with a bigger screen, so no chance until then.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
This.

They say it's like Instapaper, but I haven't seen anyone mention if it saves the articles for when you don't have signal and / or WiFi.

It doesn't, it's basically a bookmark folder. No internet = you can't read your reading list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.