Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I went to play The Sims 3 for the first time in a while today and everything is working fine except for the textures on the sim people. They end up looking like this:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

I've had no issues but I recently upgraded the RAM in my system from 4GB to 8GB. I have the 13" 2.3GHz Core i5 MacBook Pro running Lion.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I've recently been experiencing similar problems in Rome Total Realism VII. But it's random and not nearly as bad as your problem. Plus I just reloaded my bootcamp partition and think I might be missing an Intel driver update.

I would suspect VRAM right off the bat, at least it's usually related to it in the past 18 years or so of experience I have. It used to be pre-AGP you could actually swap out the memory on the card. Secondary to bad memory, I would guess a driver.
But as I understand it, there is no VRAM. It just uses some of the base memory as VRAM. 384MB with 4GB or less, if you upgrade to 8GB it will use 512MB as VRAM. So it might be related to this new memory. Addressing it wrong, at the incorrect speed, who knows...

The first thing I would do is swap your old memory back in and see if it still happens. If it doesn't put the new memory back in. If it still occurs after putting the 8GB back in, start looking into brand, speed of the new memory, etc.

Personally I think that there are probably some driver tweaks that can be done by Intel/Apple to improve the reliability and efficiency of this chipset. I've been pretty impressed with what it can do for what it is. Here is to hoping they continue to update the drivers.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I was running the GM for 10.7.2, so I rolled back to 10.7 so I could install the new build. Just out of curiosity I tried out The Sims 3 without any of the Lion updates and it worked great. So I updated to today's 10.7.2 update and the issue is back. I'm thinking some driver changes Apple made are causing this. :mad:

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
France
I've got a similar problem on my 13" MBP i7. When I go to the ''dressing room'' to change their outfit, the sims' clothes appear all weird. I noticed this happens only when the sim is muscular (it disappear when they don't have any muscles). I don't have the problem during gameplay though (however, the objects are incredibly long to show up, first they are white and then the texture shows up :().

I guess its just the graphic card and there's not much to do? =/

ElectropopBoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Mac Mini 2011 - Same issue

I've had the Sims 3 on my Mac Mini 2011 for a while now, and it has been fine until recently. I'm getting the same texture issue as posted above with the Sims characters. I hope this will be resolved soon!

I should also note that I have the Intel HD3000 graphics.

ElectropopBoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Ooh, I've just found this information:

"The Sims 3 graphics are black/textures missing

Customers who have purchased The Sims 3 Pets and have the graphics card Intel HD 3000 are having an issue due to an Apple bug. EA is creating a patch that should be out in the next few weeks or sooner. You will be prompted to download it automatically when it's available."

I haven't bought Pets, but I assume this is the same problem as it sounds identical. Good news that a patch is coming out! :)

Ally-Cat

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
Graphics on Mac

I went to play The Sims 3 for the first time in a while today and everything is working fine except for the textures on the sim people. They end up looking like this:

[url=https://img.skitch.com/20111009-qttipbdysjmnidtxi49ui8e556.preview.jpg]Image[/url]Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

I've had no issues but I recently upgraded the RAM in my system from 4GB to 8GB. I have the 13" 2.3GHz Core i5 MacBook Pro running Lion.

I have had EXACTLY the same problem, only i'm quite unskilled with computers, so all i've done is uninstalled/reinstalled the game... I have NO idea what you are talking about as far as technical terms, but i know i have the exact same laptop as you and don't know what to do! Aside from all the technical jargon, i have deduced that the solution is to simply wait for a patch for the game to come through?
Also, my game says "latest version 1.27.5", don't know if that means anything in relation to your statement about downloading the "10.7.2" update... I know i'm not good with computers, but i just want to play the goddamn game!

----------

Has anyone got the patch? or figured out how to fix this?

YES! I would stop losing my **** if this is the case! Because i thought it was just my bad luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.