Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

iPhone 4S launch at the Gateway Apple Store, Salt Lake City, Utah

Apple has announced the iPhone 4S which will be available October 14. This thread is for those meeting up and waiting in line at the Gateway Apple store in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

By the way, I do plan on waiting overnight at the Gateway Apple Store on October 13.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:52 AM   #3
falcora
macrumors 6502

I'll be camping out for sure. My friend is coming too. What time are you planning on getting there?
falcora is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:55 AM   #4
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Thursday afternoon, thinking about around 3:00 p.m., what about you?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:40 AM   #5
falcora
macrumors 6502

Dang, that's early. I was planning on 9 or 10 pm. My friend might want to come earlier though. Do you remember what it was like last year for the iPhone 4? I did the 3GS launch at the gateway, came at 10:30pm and was #8 in line.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:07 PM   #6
All*hail*Apple
macrumors newbie

Although I have never waited in line for an iPhone and have no idea what to expect, I did wait in line for the iPad 2 and got there at 11:00 a.m. on launch day and was about 150th in line.

I'm planning on going 8:00 a.m. Friday morning, I'll still be earlier than 90% of the people getting a 4s and won't have to wait in line nearly as long.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:43 PM   #7
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcora View Post
My friend might want to come earlier though. Do you remember what it was like last year for the iPhone 4? I did the 3GS launch at the gateway, came at 10:30pm and was #8 in line.
I got there at about midnight for the iPhone 3GS line and was 17 I think. For the iPhone 4 I got there about 6:00 p.m. the day before and was 70 in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All*hail*Apple View Post
I'm planning on going 8:00 a.m. Friday morning, I'll still be earlier than 90% of the people getting a 4s and won't have to wait in line nearly as long.
The store opens at 8:00 a.m. Friday morning, I'd get there earlier if I were you.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:25 PM   #8
falcora
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
I got there at about midnight for the iPhone 3GS line and was 17 I think. For the iPhone 4 I got there about 6:00 p.m. the day before and was 70 in line.

The store opens at 8:00 a.m. Friday morning, I'd get there earlier if I were you.
Holy crap, I didn't realize it had changed that much. I might try to get there by 7 or 8 at night then. Keep us posted on how long the line is when you get there.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:31 PM   #9
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Keep us posted on how long the line is when you get there.
Will do for sure.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:34 PM   #10
falcora
macrumors 6502

Preorders sold out super quick, I bet demand for this phone is going to be high. I've got nothing scheduled for thursday so I can get there as early as it takes.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:35 PM   #11
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Preorders sold out super quick, I bet demand for this phone is going to be high. I've got nothing scheduled for thursday so I can get there as early as it takes.
Same, what time do you plan on going to check it out?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:41 PM   #12
falcora
macrumors 6502

It depends. I've got a ton of work I can get done from my laptop. How is the power / wifi situation? I know two years ago we plugged an extension cord into a lamp post, but I can't remember if we picked up wifi.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:44 PM   #13
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It depends. I've got a ton of work I can get done from my laptop. How is the power / wifi situation? I know two years ago we plugged an extension cord into a lamp post, but I can't remember if we picked up wifi.
The lamp post power only works when the light is on, so don't expect power from that until dusk probably. You can pickup WiFi from the Apple Store but it is not a good connection. I have a Clear hotspot anyone can use, well up to eight, if they want.

I plan on going there in the afternoon, thinking about 3:00 p.m., just to see. If anyone sees a line there sooner be sure to post here. I don't want to be first in line but in the first ten maybe. I am going with a friend and cousin.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:49 PM   #14
falcora
macrumors 6502

Nice. I'll probably bring a power strip and just use my iPad until it gets dark. I wouldn't mind being in the top 10-20. I need to coordinate with my friend and see when he can get there.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:53 PM   #15
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Nice. I'll probably bring a power strip and just use my iPad until it gets dark. I wouldn't mind being in the top 10-20. I need to coordinate with my friend and see when he can get there.
Cool, power strip will be good. I have a long extension cord but it only has three outlets on the end. I plan on bringing that. I am thinking about a TV but not sure, I have a Slingbox at home which would be good to use with a TV.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:58 PM   #16
falcora
macrumors 6502

That would be sweet! Yeah I can bring Three 6 outlet power strip. I just hope we don't overload the system and flip the circuit breaker. That would put a damper on things fast.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:20 PM   #17
falcora
macrumors 6502

I talked to my buddy and we are going to be there no later than 5 pm Thursday. I think it's gonna be crazy, especially with the one million preorders in 24 hours.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:55 PM   #18
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I talked to my buddy and we are going to be there no later than 5 pm Thursday. I think it's gonna be crazy, especially with the one million preorders in 24 hours.
Good to know, I will probably be there sooner. I think that I'll get everything ready in the morning then go check about noon. If nobody is there I'll just go to the Gateway until people show up. I don't want to be number one.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:33 AM   #19
appleisgod
macrumors regular

Just decided I'm Joining the Camping

What is your guys plan as far as sleeping goes? This will be my first product camp and have absolutely no idea what to bring.
appleisgod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:34 AM   #20
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisgod View Post
What is your guys plan as far as sleeping goes? This will be my first product camp and have absolutely no idea what to bring.
I am bringing a tent and food and drink. Other than that everything that we already stated above. What time are you planning on going?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:36 AM   #21
appleisgod
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am bringing a tent and food and drink. Other than that everything that we already stated above. What time are you planning on going?
I wont be able to get there until about 8, hopefully that doesn't put me too far back in the line.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:40 AM   #22
falcora
macrumors 6502

whatever you need. I don't think i've seen anyone with an actual tent, but maybe a camp chair, blanket or sleeping bag, food and drinks, games, etc. Once your position in line is established, you can run to your car or go take a leak without losing your spot in line.

----------

i have a genius bar appointment at 10:30 tomorrow morning and then i have to run up to the U to work on a project for a couple of hours. I'll probably be in line by 5pm. Hopefully no one is in line when i get there at 10:30 tomorrow morning for my appointment, but if there is, i'll be sure to post here!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:41 AM   #23
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

I am going to drive by around 10:00 a.m. just to see. I have to be downtown early in the morning and will probably just stay there. I'll update on the situation.

As for tents, I have seen tents. I think more people will have them because it is cold now. I am bringing one only because the people I am going with want one.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:43 AM   #24
appleisgod
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am going to drive by around 10:00 a.m. just to see. I have to be downtown early in the morning and will probably just stay there. I'll update on the situation.

As for tents, I have seen tents. I think more people will have them because it is cold now. I am bringing one only because the people I am going with want one.
Yea, let us know if people are already there in the morning. I think I'm just going to go for the chair approach, sleep will be hard to come by out there no matter what.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:43 AM   #25
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
i have to run up to the U to work on a project for a couple of hours. !
That's where I am going also, except I have to be there at 7:00 a.m.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups