Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I asked about insurance to find out weather I wanted AppleCare+ or att insurance. Call att if you don't belive me I was just relaying the info. Why in the he'll would I lie over something like insurance, get a life people.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Even if I called and talked to a rep who said:

"Yeah you want Insurance? Sure, yeah we will blacklist the IMEI if it ever gets stolen"

I STILL wouldn't believe it, you know why? Reps lie their asses off about stuff they don't know in order to help the companies (and their own) bottom line.

Unless there is a source I can read/print off of the company website then I will look like a crazy person if I get the insurance and if my phone gets stolen later on and I say "so a rep from a long time ago told me your going to blacklist the imei right?" ;)

I got better things to do.
And without an official link what some AT&T rep told you don't mean much.
They're well known to be misinformed.
Not saying you made it up just my opinion that you probably got bad info that's all.

Exactly.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Even if I called and talked to a rep who said:

"Yeah you want Insurance? Sure, yeah we will blacklist the IMEI if it ever gets stolen"

I STILL wouldn't believe it, you know why? Reps lie their asses off about stuff they don't know in order to help the companies (and their own) bottom line.

Unless there is a source I can read/print off of the company website then I will look like a crazy person if I get the insurance and if my phone gets stolen later on and I say "so a rep from a long time ago told me your going to blacklist the imei right?" ;)

Bingo.
Op don't take it personal.
AT&T reps make things up as they go all the time.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Bingo.
Op don't take it personal.
AT&T reps make things up as they go all the time.

I didnt take anything personal, But the guy seemed to know a lot about the insurance and applecare+ and was telling me about the differences between the two.

If anyone has some extra time to waste call att and see if its true.
1-800-331-0500

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
If att contracts a company for their insurance, the insurance company has the IMEI of the phone. If the phone gets stolen/lost and a claim is filed, isn't it considered fraud if att reactivates a stolen/lost phone that a claim has been filed on?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If att contracts a company for their insurance, the insurance company has the IMEI of the phone. If the phone gets stolen/lost and a claim is filed, isn't it considered fraud if att reactivates a stolen/lost phone that a claim has been filed on?

I am sure a good case could be made in court... Maybe more that fraud, maybe complicity in committing a crime by enabling the thief!!!

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Correct ESN. So is it possible then to block a IMEI like CDMA does ESN?

Yes it is possible. Various jurisdictions in Europe have been doing it for years. In fact, in some countries all the carriers have allied to form an industry-wide national registry of blacklisted IMEIs, so you can't just steal the phone from a customer on one carrier and then unlock it for re-activation on a different network.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
nobody should pay for this service. It is free in Europe. They can even track it down if you have the police report or phone gets a text msg about it's being stolen etc. And look at here, just blocking and even for that we need to pay a premium!!! :mad:

My first iPhone4 was stolen in a UA flight, I reported IMEI to Apple, At&T and the police. Guess what, nothing happened, most likely phone ended up in craigslist... :mad:

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Seeing as how none of the carriers have done this in the recent past, I find it hard to believe that AT&T will be implementing it now. MAYBE they'll do it for people who bought insurance since they don't to be scammed. I've heard of tons of people reporting their phone lost/stolen just so they can get another phone @ contract pricing basically. For the regular consumers who didn't get insurance and report their phone stolen, AT&T will definitely do nothing.

melharma

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I had my iphone 5 stolen, did not have any type of insurance thru them and they just blacklisted my phone today. So not sure where you people are getting your information, you don't need insurance to use that service.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
What's the point? Is the thief going to be like "Oh, okay fine. I'll return it to the guy I stole it from since I can't activate it."

Chances are, they'll just sell it on CL.

Crime prevention > Crime punishment.

If a thief knows the iPhone he is going to steal is semi-worthless to him on the open market he is less likely to swipe it.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I had my iphone 5 stolen, did not have any type of insurance thru them and they just blacklisted my phone today. So not sure where you people are getting your information, you don't need insurance to use that service.

Crime prevention > Crime punishment.

If a thief knows the iPhone he is going to steal is semi-worthless to him on the open market he is less likely to swipe it.

You both failed to notice that this thread has been dead for more than a year. Things change. Next time, check the date of the last post in a thread before you reply. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.