Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
While it is a nice photo, it's about as useful as that plate of sushi that was accidentally posted on Flickr. Can AppVV walk outside and take a picture of some scenery?
Apple has scenery photos on their website. But yes, the more the merrier. :)

I'm more interested in low-light shots, where we'll see its limitations. Still, I'm pretty sure its slightly wider aperture will make it perform noticeably better even there.

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I disagree. I've never seen a photo from a $200 (or even $300 for that matter) Android phone with photos that look this good. Outdoor shots, yes, but indoor, no.

But the iphone isnt a $200/$300 phone, its a lot more, your paying the cost of the phone as part of your monthly contractual payments (thats why theres a minimum contract peroid, so they can recoup their initial loss), to give you an idea of how much the iphone really costs, in the UK its sold unlocked from an Apple store for £499 (780 USD)

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
I also want "low" or "dim" lit shots!
The big aperture is good for low light, but it also means that one has to watch the shallow depth of field... as one can see in the provided image. The upper half is out of focus, not blurred due to shaking or such!

I wonder if one can set anything like aperture priority?

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
HA, yeah, such a pathetic update to the 4 aswell.
Oh, what more do you want? It's got this fantastic camera, iOS 5, the fancy voice-recognition feature, it can download stuff way faster, it's got a super-powered processor... what in the world are you missing out on here? A second screen on the back, perhaps? :confused:

harrylee773

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
8MP will make no difference to the image quality other than the files will be bigger and will allow you to blow them up to the size of roughly A4. The real difference will be the now, F2.4 aperture. Low light photos will be less noisy and of higher quality. This is really isn't a key selling point for the 4S. In my eyes, the key selling point is Siri, even then, they're pushing it.

I may be in the minority, but an 8MP camera was a huge factor in my decision to purchase. The day after iPhone 4S was announced, I got a Groupon deal for a 12 MP Fuji camera for about 50% off ($70)- I figure that an 8 megapixel, along with everything else the 4S offers, is a pretty good deal for $200. I realize that a point and shoot has it's advantages, but still, in deciding which phone to replace my 3G with, the camera in the 4S definitely played a big role.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
It's okay, but the Nexus Prime will be better: It will take a picture of a $1 dollar bill and turn it into a twenty!

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Apple has scenery photos on their website. But yes, the more the merrier. :)

I'm more interested in low-light shots, where we'll see its limitations. Still, I'm pretty sure its slightly wider aperture will make it perform noticeably better even there.

So, yes, the picture does show it performs admirably under low-light situations.

I guess I live in Hawaii, so I'm more concerned about how much difference I can see in scenic shots. I did see the photos on Apple.com. The thing is, they were taken by people who know what they're doing.

I want to see pictures by people who are less than amateur. I want to know if an "idiot" can still take decent pictures with this phone, if you now what I mean. This is not a knock against AppVV.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
What spider?
it's very small... top left corner of the emblem the 1 in the top right corner is in. The spider is just outside of that, and it is a little fuzzy in this picture... but you can see it! Google spider one dollar bill, that should help.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
The camera is pretty good and the lens is improved, but the Camera app is still lacking. Until I can have more control over the settings (aperture, shutter speed, white balance), it won't replace my point-and-shoot--which can do all of those things.

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
does anyone know what ISO the iPhone can do?

This image was taken with
  • ISO40 (!)
  • 1/40th shutterspeed
  • F2.4

For this particular image it would have been better to close the aperture and up the ISO for less shallow depth of field!

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Oh, what more do you want? It's got this fantastic camera, iOS 5, the fancy voice-recognition feature, it can download stuff way faster, it's got a super-powered processor... what in the world are you missing out on here? A second screen on the back, perhaps? :confused:

try a bigger screen for one thing, more than half a gig of ram for another

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I may be in the minority, but an 8MP camera was a huge factor in my decision to purchase. The day after iPhone 4S was announced, I got a Groupon deal for a 12 MP Fuji camera for about 50% off ($70)- I figure that an megapixel, along with everything else the 4S offers, is a pretty good deal for $200. I realize that a point and shoot has it's advantages, but still, in deciding which phone to replace my 3G with, the camera in the 4S definitely played a big role.

And remember, more megapixels doesn't mean a better pictures. That's why Apple had to add one more lens and widen the aperture.

I definitely know 1080p video is NOT equal across the board. I won a Sony Bloggie at a Best Buy event and, in many ways, I prefer the 720p video on my iPhone 4 than the 1080p video on the Bloggie. The Bloggie seems to artificially boost the brightness on the colors while the colors on the iP4 are more true-to-life.

iOS users are all about taking pictures. Instagram proves that. It smashes other photo sharing apps and websites that are cross-platform. So, I'm sure the camera upgrade alone is a reason many are upgrading.

----------

It's okay, but the Nexus Prime will be better: It will take a picture of a $1 dollar bill and turn it into a twenty!

And NONE of that money goes back to Android developers! :p

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
But the iphone isnt a $200/$300 phone, its a lot more, your paying the cost of the phone as part of your monthly contractual payments (thats why theres a minimum contract peroid, so they can recoup their initial loss), to give you an idea of how much the iphone really costs, in the UK its sold unlocked from an Apple store for £499 (780 USD)

This is a pointless statement. If he's referencing a contract-priced iPhone then he's obviously referencing a contract-priced Android. It's not like they're only sold without two-year contracts...

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

Don't EVER talk about the Nexus piece-of-sh** in a macrumors FORUM! It always and will never beat the iPhone 4S! :p

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
8MP will make no difference to the image quality other than the files will be bigger ... This is really isn't a key selling point for the 4S. In my eyes, the key selling point is Siri, even then, they're pushing it.

Not really. Apple has now probably the fastest camera on a phone market and it's supposedly have a much improved image processing as well on top of an improved sensor and a better lens. The combined result should be a pretty big leap over the previous generation and could be reason enough for many to upgrade if it means they don't have to carry a separate P&S camera.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Amazing photo coming from a device less than half an inch thin that's also a million other things and lasts the whole day in your pocket. We really are living in the future now.

What reason is there to carry around a point & shoot now? Other than battery concerns/don't care as much if you lose it/break it/etc. For most people, like Apple said, this will be the best camera they've ever owned that is also an iPhone to boot.

Obviously you can't compare this to anything coming out of a D-SLR, but the difference between this and a regular point & shoot is negligible, especially when you consider most people will never be printing up ANY of their photos, and they'll all be uploaded to facebook in crappy resolution anyway.

Here's to the 4S! (I'm still gonna wait for the 5 though, my iPhone 4 is doing me just fine)

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
That is cool, better than any of the cameras i own.

You must seriously have some really bad cameras. There is nothing impressive about the quality of that pic. I'm willing to bet that some of you would actually believe this pic is as good or better than what you would have got from an entry level DSLR. :eek:
You wanna show how incredible the camera is? Wait for a third party shoot out of all the current phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.