Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

covent_garden_robbery_police.jpg

Police at Covent Garden store following the robbery (Source: Rob Shoesmith)

The Indepdent reports that Apple's Covent Garden store in London was the target of an organized smash-and-grab robbery conducted by a group of moped and motorcycle riders last night, and it appears that at least seven vehicles and as many as fourteen individuals were involved.
Police were called at around 1am after one of the store's windows was smashed and a haul of Apple devices, including valuable iPads, was stolen.

It is believed around seven masked raiders riding mopeds and motorcycles were involved in the incident.

All suspects were wearing full face crash helmets and most, if not all of the motorbikes were carrying a pillion passenger, the Met said.
Two individuals, a 16-year-old and a 21-year-old, were later apprehended carrying bags of property believed to have been stolen from the store.

covent_garden_robbery_boarded_window.jpg

Boarded-up window at Covent Garden retail store (Source: The Next Web)
The Metropolitan Police Service has requested that anyone with information on the robbery please contact law enforcement.

Article Link: Apple's Covent Garden Retail Store Raided in Organized Motorbike Robbery

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Oh no!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
In other news, Apple's iOS products include a "Where's My iPod/Pad/Phone?" service with instant live updates of the device's whereabouts, and the ability to remotely "brick" those devices.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
In other news, Apple's iOS products include a "Where's My iPod/Pad/Phone?" service with instant live updates of the device's whereabouts, and the ability to remotely "brick" those devices.

It doesn't brick the device, it wipes it to be like a fresh one out of the box.

A fresh one that does not have Find my iDevice enabled anymore since that info was wiped.

Unless I just don't have the new "Brick my iPhone" app?!?

Gary

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

bigjobby said:
What I'd like to know is where was this fella who was supposed to be camped outside that store for the iP4S launch.

He must have been moved on by the boys in blue (probably under the Prevention of Terrorism Act :rolleyes: ). I was in the CG store yesterday and didn't see him

Hope the thieves didn't destroy the sizeable memorial to SJ outside the store!!!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Appearantly the thiefs don't realize that London is blanked in CCTV.

They were wearing motorbike helmets, apparently, so CCTV not so helpful.

----------

What I'd like to know is where was this fella who was supposed to be camped outside that store for the iP4S launch.

He is still there, but apparently slept through the actual robbery - woke up to the sound of alarms going off and motorbikes speeding away.

The first photo in this article was taken by him. See http://robshoesmith.blogspot.com/

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
These guys were obviously still in jail during the July riots, and felt a bit left out.

rayray5884

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
My first thought, 'You think they'd have a more elegant solution in place for boarding up the window.'

lc25

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
Isn't that bloke still camping outside for the new iPhone launch ? he should have stopped them :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.