Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
I've been trying to get a hold of the 9.1 update from apple but the links on apple.com to the download are broken (can get to the 9.1 Software and Before install page). Does anybody know where I can get it? I'm stuck at 9.0.4 :). Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've been trying to get a hold of the 9.1 update from apple but the links on apple.com to the download are broken (can get to the 9.1 Software and Before install page). Does anybody know where I can get it? I'm stuck at 9.0.4 :). Thanks.
You aren't running Mac OS 9 in a virtualized environment on an Intel Mac, via SheepShaver, are you? If so keep in mind that SheepShaver doesn't support 9.1 and above.

As far as downloading Mac OS 9.1 goes, I'm having the exact same problem, getting redirected to a Not Found page. Odd.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
You aren't running Mac OS 9 in a virtualized environment on an Intel Mac, via SheepShaver, are you? If so keep in mind that SheepShaver doesn't support 9.1 and above.

As far as downloading Mac OS 9.1 goes, I'm having the exact same problem, getting redirected to a Not Found page. Odd.

Nah, just got my old Bondi Blue Rev. B back from my Dad. Figured I'd see how well it works :).

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Try just using the built-in software update. IIRC, last time I installed and updated 9, it just pulled the updates from Apple's servers automatically, just like it does with X.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Only seems to be those downloads affected by the "Export Compliance Agreement"

ie:

9.1 Update
9.2.1 Update
9.2.2 Update
and
URL Access 2.3

Which may have been stored on a server other than download.info.apple.com many years ago for that very reason. Now that redirect no longer works. URL Access 2.3 still works fine, which probably means it was those 3 updates hosted elsewhere to take the load off Apple's servers at the time.

It seems that the 3 MacOS updates were at:

supportdownload.apple.com/speedera.info.apple.com/Mac_OS/9.BLAH/full/Mac_OS_9.BLAH_Update.smi.bin

but that now returns/redirects to the "Not Found" error page

IIRC that redirects to apple.speedera.net which no longer seems to be working properly. Apple should really fix it. The load on their servers would no longer require hosting it on speedera.net.

Which is all really useless information. :rolleyes:

The iiNet link posted by Intell should work fine.

I'm intrigued as to if the "Software Update" control panel still works for these updates. :confused:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Besides, back in the day, going from 9.0.x to 9.1 was not an update, it was an upgrade. $$$

Has that changed now, since it's so old?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Besides, back in the day, going from 9.0.x to 9.1 was not an update, it was an upgrade. $$$

Has that changed now, since it's so old?

Actually, no, it never was a paid upgrade. At the time, Apple's .x updates were mostly free for download, something which changed somewhat for OSX.

You could purchase a CD of the update or the full retail version of OS9.1 but if you allready had OS9.0.x, the update to 9.1 was free.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20337

I attempted this and downloaded StuffIt Expander 15.02, but I just get 15 .part files.

That is correct, but you should also have a Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi (expanded from Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin). Just make sure they are all in the same folder and double click on the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi in OS9 and it will mount the entire disk.

.smi is a Self Mounting (disk)Image.

Last edited:

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
That is correct, but you should also have a Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi (expanded from Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin). Just make sure they are all in the same folder and double click on the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi in OS9 and it will mount the entire disk.

.smi is a Self Mounting (disk)Image.

Unfortunately, upon downloading all the files and putting them in the same folder, and double-clicking the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin file, I get the message 'The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error -43".

A new file called 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' appears, but double-clicking it gives the message 'Unable to execute "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1". Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are missing or corrupted.'

Not quite sure what's wrong here :-S

Sorry to dig this up, but it's a shame I can't upgrade to 9.1.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Unfortunately, upon downloading all the files and putting them in the same folder, and double-clicking the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin file, I get the message 'The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error -43".

A new file called 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' appears, but double-clicking it gives the message 'Unable to execute "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1". Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are missing or corrupted.'

Just to clarify, did you attempt to open the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin, or the expanded version of it?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth

If you have a 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' file, this implies that you should also have a 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi' file. The latter is the one you should double click on.

Also, you may want to check the file sizes to make sure the original download wasn't truncated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.