Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
The CCTV may prove useful as although they won't have recordings of their faces at the Apple Store, they would be able to trace the bikes as they travelled through the city getting a good idea of where they ended up.

They should perhaps consider bollards in front of the windows. Those that lift up only at night and are concealed underground during the day. That way it wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the store front during the day.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Hmm...bikes aren't ideal for carrying bulky boxes of electronics. Did they steal floor demo models?

They sound like a bunch of idiots. Didn't they think to bring a van? How much can a moped rider carry? They'll probably make far less than £5K each once they divvy up the goods between riders and passengers. Then they'll do 6 months in jail. That's below minimum wage.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
They should perhaps consider bollards in front of the windows. Those that lift up only at night and are concealed underground during the day. That way it wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the store front during the day.

Bollards may stop a car or van, but I think they would be useless against motorcycles and mopeds!

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I read somewhere that store display iPhones (and presumably 3G iPads) don't have SIM slots, so they won't be worth much :p

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Idiots.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
My first thought, 'You think they'd have a more elegant solution in place for boarding up the window.'

Yeah right so when the window company gets a call in the middle of the night to secure some premised do they need to ask if the customer wants flake board or some nice wood panelling? Mahogany or Walnut?

raybanboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
News update-

Several of the businesses in the local area have been targeted by the same gang in the past couple of months including, The Ray-Ban Store, Chanel, Vision Express and several high profile fashion stores. It appears to be the same gang using the same tactics, and it has been seen in some of the burglaries that they've no problem in harming the security on duty.

This isn't the first in the area and by no means the last, they drove a bike through two 4m high 2 inch thick glass doors and down a staircase in the ray-ban store in August...not cool, hope the cops catch the gits soon!

J

porky2017

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Australia
Where were the security guards-my local apple store has security guards sitting in the store from closing till they open again..

----------

Several of the businesses in the local area have been targeted by the same gang in the past couple of months including, The Ray-Ban Store, Chanel, Vision Express and several high profile fashion stores. It appears to be the same gang using the same tactics, and it has been seen in some of the burglaries that they've no problem in harming the security on duty.

This isn't the first in the area and by no means the last, they drove a bike through two 4m high 2 inch thick glass doors and down a staircase in the ray-ban store in August...not cool, hope the cops catch the gits soon!

J

yes i agree not cool-:mad:these idiots need to be caught & fu#@ked up..

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California

J

^That sounds pretty bad-ass.

Well, you know the best thing to cure looting biker gangs right?

0358cf067919773b317b147a3ec9732c.jpg

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
transparent aluminum?

doesn't every iPhone 4 already have AluminoSilicate glass? Sapphires are aluminum crystals, it already exists. Al2O3 I believe.

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Apple can activate "Find my iPhone" and track the missing devices

Surely Apple have the serial numbers of the missing devices and are able to remotely activate "find my iPhone" and track them down through that or other methods like when they are activated/synced etc.

Someone in Australia stole an iPad and the owner/victim told the police exactly where it was - in the thiefs house, and they arrested him.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I read somewhere that store display iPhones (and presumably 3G iPads) don't have SIM slots, so they won't be worth much :p

I know that in the US they phones have SIM slots and cards, but the cards and IMEI numbers are logged and when someone tries activating it they'll be in deep you know what.

I doubt that anyone will try to activate a hot iPhone though.

Our stores don't have 3G iPads on display, so no need for a SIM.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

In the Netherlands many businesses have security fences like this.
Still can look trough but very secure.

Attachments

• TitanTec BM.JPG
    TitanTec BM.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 59

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I know that in the US they phones have SIM slots and cards, but the cards and IMEI numbers are logged and when someone tries activating it they'll be in deep you know what.

I doubt that anyone will try to activate a hot iPhone though.

Our stores don't have 3G iPads on display, so no need for a SIM.

Maybe in the US they track you but in many countries the police doesn't see this as a priority, even not in Europe, only when real crime is involved like drugs and murder they can track but even then they have to ask a Judge first.
Its petty crime and there is too much time involved to track stolen phones IMEI numbers.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Maybe in the US they track you but in many countries the police doesn't see this as a priority, even not in Europe, only when real crime is involved like drugs and murder they can track but even then they have to ask a Judge first.
Its petty crime and there is too much time involved to track stolen phones IMEI numbers.

Never said they'd track you. The worst they'd do is take the phone when you try activating it.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
From the pictures, the window caved in is around the corner, and the farthest away from where he was camping.

I'm sure that if he heard anything he would have preferred to remain unnoticed to avoid getting beaten up or killed.
And who knows, maybe he called the police.

----------

Well, you know the best thing to cure looting biker gangs right?

Yep, only Jackie would have been able to save the Apple store. He's much better than a loaded weapon. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.