Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AppleCare+ to End Informal Free Replacement Policy for Damaged iPhones

Last week, we noted that Apple had introduced a new "AppleCare+" offering for iPhone, replacing the previous $69 AppleCare with the new $99 warranty extending coverage to two years from the date of device purchase and including new coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage. Incidents of accidental damage covered under the new AppleCare+ program will also incur $49 service fees.

One Apple retail store source has contacted us to explain in more detail how the new AppleCare+ program will also change the way the Genius Bar handles damaged devices. Previously, Genius Bar staff had some flexibility in waiving the $199 out-of-warranty replacement fee as a "one-time exception", giving customers a free replacement for a damaged phone. With the shift to AppleCare+, Genius Bar staff will no longer have the option of offering free replacements, so customers who have been aware of Apple's informal replacement policy should be mindful of the change.

Apple is also now requiring that AppleCare+ be purchased at the same time as the device, a change from other AppleCare offerings that have allowed customers to purchase AppleCare anytime before the standard warranty expires. That requirement has been causing some confusion with iPhone 4S pre-orders through carriers and other outlets, as many of them have not been offering AppleCare+ as an option.

Customers seem to be hearing different stories from Apple sales representatives regarding adding AppleCare+ to iPhone 4S purchases made elsewhere, adding to the confusion. Some representatives have suggested that a simple phone call to Apple can resolve the situation, while others have suggested that users should bring their unopened iPhone 4S boxes to Apple retail stores and have staff members set up the devices and add AppleCare+.

But while Apple's official policy requires AppleCare+ to be purchased at same time as the device, the source who reached out to us notes that Apple will allow users who did not purchase AppleCare+ to add it to a replacement phone if they damage their device and need to have it replaced. Under the program, customers needing to replace a damaged iPhone would be given a $50 discount on Apple's standard $199 replacement fee if they also purchase AppleCare+ for the replacement device, for a total cost of $249. That program would then cover the consumer for additional accidental damage incidents in the future.

Article Link: AppleCare+ to End Informal Free Replacement Policy for Damaged iPhones
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
darthraige
macrumors 68000

Apple Care is a waste of money. I have tons of friends who work at the Apple Store and they say just walk in with a smile, feed them the usual of how much you lover their products, blab blah blah, and they'll bend over backwards for you and fix or replace for free. Works all the time.

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   -40 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to TC400
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
Apple Care is a waste of money. I have tons of friends who work at the Apple Store and they say just walk in with a smile, feed them the usual of how much you lover their products, blab blah blah, and they'll bend over backwards for you and fix or replace for free. Works all the time.
Ha! if that was only true.
TC400 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
Quote:
Did you not read the article? It explicitly says that they apparently no longer have the leeway to waive the $199 fee for replacing a damaged phone.
Abyssgh0st is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5
macrumors 65816

wait and see .... one of the reasons why people are so happy with the customer service of apple is because they are very tolerant in bending the rules to make the customer happy - I don't think this will change, they don't want to destroy the good reputation they got. I know many people where the buying decision was highly influence by the knowledge of the great customer satisfaction and flexible return/repair service.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #6
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
That's exactly what Applecare+ is going to stop.
adztaylor is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Must be a US only routine, where I live, and worked at AppleCare, there's absolutely no flexibility
Lennholm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:56 AM   #8
nampramos
macrumors 6502

Is this Apple Care+ for USA only?
I could not find it on the Canadian Apple Store when I pre-ordered my iPhone 4S yesterday!
nampramos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:56 AM   #9
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Depends on the issue. If it is a cosmetic issue like the white Mac books had. They would replace the KB free of charge if you were nice. Bring an out of warranty Mac Pro with a dead logic board in and let me know how far smiling gets you.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:57 AM   #10
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC400 View Post
Ha! if that was only true.
Hey this guy is laughing in your face man. You gonna just take it?
RobertMartens is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:58 AM   #11
haydn!
macrumors 6502

It's only in the US store at the moment. I want to know if it will make its way to the UK any time soon?
haydn! is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Hardtimes
macrumors regular

Customer service is the only reason I bought an iPhone over one of the competitors and the only reason I paid around 40% more for my macbook that a similar spec'd competitor.

If the customer service goes so will my future money.
No wonder Steve apparently made a plan for the future as this lot seem more bothered about pandering to the shareholders than the customers.
Hardtimes is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:59 AM   #13
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
wait and see .... one of the reasons why people are so happy with the customer service of apple is because they are very tolerant in bending the rules to make the customer happy - I don't think this will change, they don't want to destroy the good reputation they got. I know many people where the buying decision was highly influence by the knowledge of the great customer satisfaction and flexible return/repair service.
Being helpful and providing great customer service is one thing, replacing something the customer damage is another.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #14
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssgh0st View Post
Did you not read the article? It explicitly says that they apparently no longer have the leeway to waive the $199 fee for replacing a damaged phone.

And it was never admitted that Apple Store employees ever bend the rules, buy in practice they do.

Anyway, bottom line, it has glass on both sides, get a case, duh!
RobertMartens is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Uffish Thought
macrumors member

Less expensive to buy AppleCare+ upfront.

"Under the program, customers needing to replace a damaged iPhone would be given a $50 discount on Apple's standard $199 replacement fee if they also purchase AppleCare+ for the replacement device, for a total cost of $249. That program would then cover the consumer for additional accidental damage incidents in the future."

So, it would be $99 less if you bought it up front, and had a damage claim.
I think they will allow new iPhone 4S buyers to purchase AppleCare+ after the fact.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Fainer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodog View Post
Depends on the issue. If it is a cosmetic issue like the white Mac books had. They would replace the KB free of charge if you were nice. Bring an out of warranty Mac Pro with a dead logic board in and let me know how far smiling gets you.
Ok, I will let you know. I have had 2 HDs replaced for free in my Macbook. No AppleCare. The guy working there at the time pretty much told me it was my fault. Heck, I didnt even have to smile to ge the replacements.
Fainer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #17
darthraige
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Hey this guy is laughing in your face man. You gonna just take it?
Hahaha. I don't care. People can think what the want. Fact of the matter is Apple just needs it in the fine print. Something can ALWAYS be done when you walk in an Apple Store. Guess it's who you know.

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #18
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Hi there!

You have to wonder if customer service isn't one of the first areas to take a hit in Steve's absence.
Four oF NINE is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #19
dball4
macrumors regular

Even though the article clearly states that they will not do it, I bet it will still happen since Apple has always taken care of us customers. If not then I will take my money elsewhere. I buy products from companies that treat me well and I'm not afraid to move on
dball4 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:01 AM   #20
majortom1981
macrumors member

Hmm so they are making it more expensive to get your phone fixed at apple? Does apple like ruining their image? One of the only reasons to buy apple products is there customer service. I will not buy apple products if they become just like dell .
majortom1981 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Boomchukalaka
macrumors regular

This program isn't available in Canada, and I don't understand why. iPhones don't suffer damage from dropsies or water here? I'd also like to see this program extended to the iPad.
Boomchukalaka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
tigres
macrumors 68040

It was not even an option online to purchase for me via the iphone app.

Then I got an email a couple of days later stating that I was not offered the Applecare:

"Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.

We would like to let you know that every iPhone comes with one year of
hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to
90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your
coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone
and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each
subject to a $49 service fee.

We noticed you weren’t given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your
iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please
reply to this email.

Thank you for shopping with Apple.

Sincerely,
Apple Online Store Team "

So- how do you interpret this, I did not reply thinking I had a year.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:04 AM   #23
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
Customer service is the only reason I bought an iPhone over one of the competitors and the only reason I paid around 40% more for my macbook that a similar spec'd competitor.

If the customer service goes so will my future money.
No wonder Steve apparently made a plan for the future as this lot seem more bothered about pandering to the shareholders than the customers.

You bought the MacBook for its customer service? Not for Mac OS X? Not for its beautifully design Aluminum case? I guess you came from another company with a lot of heartache.
RobertMartens is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:04 AM   #24
futch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
Hi there!

You have to wonder if customer service isn't one of the first areas to take a hit in Steve's absence.
I highly doubt it.
futch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:04 AM   #25
Scott6666
macrumors 65816

Now we have to come into the stores to purchase AppleCare+ if we pre-ordered without it thinking we'd have a year?

That's lame. Means we can't activate our phone on Friday and coming into the store will be a non-option with the crazy lines.

Last edited by Scott6666; Oct 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Scott6666 is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion