Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_10_5_1_beta.jpg

With Apple having pushed iTunes 10.5 out to the public earlier today, the company has already seeded developers with a beta version of iTunes 10.5.1 to continue testing of its forthcoming iTunes Match service.
iTunes 10.5.1 beta 1 includes several performance enhancements and bug fixes, and is a required update for all subscribers to iTunes Match beta. iTunes Match is not included in the iTunes 10.5 GM release.
As with previous builds testing iTunes Match, Apple notes that iCloud libraries will be deleted at the end of the beta testing period.

iTunes Match was initially part of iTunes 10.5 and appeared set to debut alongside iOS 5 and iCloud, but at Apple's media event last week the company announced that iTunes Match would not launch until the end of October. The last beta version of iTunes 10.5 still had some remaining issues with iTunes Match functionality, and Apple has given itself a few more weeks to address those problems by pulling the feature out into a separate iTunes 10.5.1 release.

iTunes Match is a $24.99/year service that allows users to have their music libraries matched to Apple's database of over 20 million tracks, making those songs available for use on any iCloud-enabled device associated with the user's accounts. Songs not available in the iTunes Store can be uploaded to Apple's servers and also made available across devices. iTunes Match will be a U.S.-only feature at first, but Apple is apparently working to extend it to other countries soon after its initial launch.

Article Link: Apple Continues iTunes Match Developer Testing with iTunes 10.5.1 Beta

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Funny. I just downloaded the 10.5 GM & while downloading figured I'd check the dev site "just to be sure" there wasn't a new beta. lo and behold, 10.5.1.

/facepalm

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So anyone using Match...how good is the matching success rate in these updated versions?

Popinbottles

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
two accounts

So will I have an issue with itunes match if I have made purchases under two different account id's?

rafaltrus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Champaign, IL
So anyone using Match...how good is the matching success rate in these updated versions?

It's very good; at least for me. I've got ~50% of my music ripped from CD's and most of them were matched with the songs on their servers, i.e. they were not uploaded again to the servers of my hard drive.

The entire service is obviously still in Beta, but it looks promising.

AxeluteZero

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
It's very good; at least for me. I've got ~50% of my music ripped from CD's and most of them were matched with the songs on their servers, i.e. they were not uploaded again to the servers of my hard drive.

The entire service is obviously still in Beta, but it looks promising.

I really need to review exactly what iTunes Match will do. I've got a ton of ripped MP3s/music, but my last Match session only match around 100 of 2000 songs that aren't top-quality songs... I was under the impression that the songs would be "redownloadable" in higher quality.

iOS 5 won't come until tomorrow (or very late tonight). Expect tomorrow morning at some point (10 AM PST?).

Speaking of iTunes 10.5.1 Beta... anyone got a download link yet?

@shurcooL - Hopefully soon? They might just be working out languages, so it probably won't take very long. Maybe with the release of iTunes Match towards the end of October? :)

AxeluteZero

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
On the Apple Developer portal.

Pardon me, an outside download link. :)

Dunno if you can post those here though :\

Oh well, if anything, I'm excited to get the full release of iOS 5 tomorrow. I'm running the GM (which is basically the full release anyway) but it's still a bit buggy (slow downs mostly). I'm betting they'll have a few glitches taken care of with the full release... and if not, maybe we'll see 5.0.1 come end of October.

RaggieSoft

macrumors member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any 3G users on iOS 5? I'm wondering what the experience is.

Looking forward to my 4S (preordered before the cutoff) as I have to fight with my 3G to charge it :/

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Pardon me, an outside download link. :)

Dunno if you can post those here though :\

Oh well, if anything, I'm excited to get the full release of iOS 5 tomorrow. I'm running the GM (which is basically the full release anyway) but it's still a bit buggy (slow downs mostly). I'm betting they'll have a few glitches taken care of with the full release... and if not, maybe we'll see 5.0.1 come end of October.

It's not allowed.

Im quite excited to see iCloud in action to. Shame that in the UK iTunes match doesn't yet have a release date.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Did Apple ever sort out the issue with people who have an AppleID associated with purchases, and a MobileMe account?

I am holding off on iTunesMatch, and iCloud until I understand how this will work out. (I don't want to lose my purchases, and I also don't want to lose my email, calendar, etc.)

This dual account problem happened because Apple didn't allow you to use an existing Apple ID when you created your .Mac account. So anyone who had used iTunes and then signed up for .Mac has this problem.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I had pretty good matching success with 12,000 songs. It just takes forever and took many tries to get it to go. There are a few things they could improve on: Need to improve the updating of the cloud when you add new songs. Currently you need to redo all of them. Also need some way to remove unwanted songs from the cloud.

funkyche1

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
@RaggieSoft

Yes, it works very well so far on the 3gs. My wife has that phone and so far no problems at all. Hasn't slowed the phone down either.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any 3G users on iOS 5? I'm wondering what the experience is.

Looking forward to my 4S (preordered before the cutoff) as I have to fight with my 3G to charge it :/

Has worked pretty nicely so far on my 3GS. Started with beta 2... Had a few bugs, most either:
- had already been fixed in new beta before I had a chance to create a bug report
- were already know when I reported it (I can say I did do my part and not just leeching)

Experience has been really enjoyable, as smooth as iOS4 for me.

I didn't get to experience iTunes Match since I'm in Canada.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

I haven't used it since beta 1, but it did ok. Just a lot of missing artwork and unknown artist/album errors. It'd still play the songs, but since I spent a lot of time getting all my tags right....it was frustrating. It also didn't upload a few albums, mostly Stevie Ray Vaughn.

sigjuice

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
iTunes Match developer features?

What does iTunes Match have to do with developers? Do third-party developers have the ability to include iTunes Match in their own apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.