Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airport_utility_ios.jpg
Apple continues to make preparations for today's iOS 5 launch with the release of its new AirPort Utility [App Store] app to allow users to administer AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, and Time Capsule base stations.
Use AirPort Utility to manage your Wi-Fi network and AirPort base stations, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and TimeCapsule - right from your iPad, iPhone, ir iPod touch. See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network and devices. Change base station and network settings, or manage advanced features such as security modes, wireless channels, and more. AirPort Utility works with all Apple 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule.
Apple appeared to originally be preparing to integrate AirPort Utility directly into iOS 5, but apparently decided to break the functionality out into a separate app. Users entering the Wi-Fi portion of the Settings app in iOS 5 will be offered the ability to download the app to manage their networks. AirPort Utility is a universal app compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and requires iOS 5.

Article Link: 'AirPort Utility' for iOS 5 Hits the App Store

MightyMac007

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
More great news!

I've been looking forward to this type of application for a while now. Apple surprises me pleasantly once again :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
FINALLY!!! This should have been a systems app from Day 1. Amen, Apple.

+1billion

this was one of the most annoying omissions of iOS. I was stuck countless times in hotels with my Airport Express unable to set it up for wifi and unable to use Ethernet on my iPad or iPhone.

Unbelievable that it took Apple 4 years to make this App. :mad:

Now please release Keychain Access for iOS5!

And since you are at it provide Keychain syncing in iCloud like you did in MobileMe!

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This is awesome. I had no idea they were coming out with an Airport Utility app. Will be a lot more convenient to reboot the Time Capsule from my phone!!

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I searched for this and Find My Friends on both iTunes 10.5.1 and on my iPhone with 5.0 GM and couldn't find them. What gives?

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I hope this fixes a the situation where my iPhone sees but can’t connect to my Airport Express that’s connected the Airport Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.