Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
I don't suppose there's any chance that Siri will come to the iPod Touch after the beta stage...

Nope, no chance at all. As others have mentioned, Apple claims that this is because it requires an A5 chip, but I don't quite believe this since the language processing is passed off to the Apple servers (hence the internet connection required). Mostly, I think it's pretty clear that they see this as the big differentiating feature of the 4S and I'd say there's zero chance of Siri coming to the iPod touch for at least several years. Beyond that, who knows, but I suspect they want to keep it on the new iPhone only for a while.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I still think its funny how apple are using iPads to sell all of their products, including... iPads!

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
I know it doesn't work on IP4, but was hoping since the iPod is supposed to be a gaming device they somehow turned it on since they didn't update it this year.

makes perfect sense. video games makers should be very worried about this feature. i'm bummed it's not coming to iPhone 4. o well, i'm getting a 4s pretty soon anyway!

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Nope, no chance at all. As others have mentioned, Apple claims that this is because it requires an A5 chip, but I don't quite believe this since the language processing is passed off to the Apple servers (hence the internet connection required). Mostly, I think it's pretty clear that they see this as the big differentiating feature of the 4S and I'd say there's zero chance of Siri coming to the iPod touch for at least several years. Beyond that, who knows, but I suspect they want to keep it on the new iPhone only for a while.

Again, it WILL get Siri. See my post on page 4.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
If these iPods have Siri I would be expecting it to be added to the 4th gen models because they have the same insides as far as I've heard. Very unlikely it will be on either though since the iOS 5 GM doesn't have it. Would be nice though.

Also, am I the only person who thinks the white is ugly?

Yes, I have a white iPad 2 and I would not trade it for a black one ever. White to me just looks more mac like where I normally associate black with pc and android and cheap plastic. :eek:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
makes perfect sense. video games makers should be very worried about this feature. i'm bummed it's not coming to iPhone 4. o well, i'm getting a 4s pretty soon anyway!

Try same here but I do take issue that now Apple is fragmenting their line with A5 and A4 when it comes to games. I would seem that the iPod touch will be regulated to lower spec from now on. It will never come close to the cash cow called iPhone. :( designer will have to take into consideration for the first time to lower specs on some of apples products.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Oh the saints be praised! A white iPod Touch!

No A5, lame.

I don't understand the Touch. Apple says it is the most popular hand held game platform in the world - so we did not update it just unlike every other year. Battery could not do it? What was the reason. I am worried they plan to drop it which would be a disaster I think. I really love ours.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The most reasonable explanation that I've seen put forth is that Apple has supply constraints on the A5 chip, so they have deliberately held back any design upgrades.

The A5 actually has a smaller TDP (uses less power) than A4 SoC so battery performance wouldn't be an issue.

I am not concerned about the future of the iPod touch. Apple sells about two iPod touches for every three iPhones, and the two devices have very different demographics (iPod touch 13-24 yr. olds; iPhone 25-49 yr. olds). The iPod touch owners are future iPhone buyers: Steve said it himself that the iPod touch was training wheels for the iPhone.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I have to say, for some reason the white looks much better on the iPod Touch. I think that the white on the front of the iPods looks much better than a completely white iPhone. Maybe it's because the chrome back just makes it looks awesome; almost retro. If you squint... While imagining a Clickwheel... You can almost see the past. Kind of.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Everytime there is an new update on MR, my heart skips a beat.
I really strongly recommend that you get that checked out. It's all well and cute until one day you realize it's skipped two beats this time, and then three…

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't suppose there's any chance that Siri will come to the iPod Touch after the beta stage...

yeah there's actually a big chance. Next year when they upgrade the processor.

----------

I still think its funny how apple are using iPads to sell all of their products, including... iPads!

Why not.

they also use iPod touches for their hand held registers

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
white_ipod_touch_apple_retail_store.jpg

does anyone know what app this is? looks kinda cool (sucker for music apps)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.