Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

alerttones.jpg

Apple has launched a new store within iTunes specifically for Ringtones and Alert or text message tones. Many of the new alert tones are dialogue clips and sound effects from famous movies including Star Wars and Jaws. The most popular tone at the moment is a beep-boop-beep from R2-D2.
The iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch now includes the Tone Store -- an incredible spectrum of music ringtones and alert tones that can be assigned to any alert setting on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Ringtones have been available for purchase for a while, but the Alert Tones are a brand new offering. For a long time, the limited selection of alert tones was a big complaint of iPhone owners, especially those with several iPhones in a single household.

Ringtones are $1.29 and alert tones are $0.99.

To get to the Tones Store, head to Settings/Sounds and select any of the tone options. Then click "Buy More Tones" at the top of that window.

Article Link: Apple Launches Store for Text Message/Alert Tones

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
I think this is more tragic than awesome. Something so simple shouldn't require a store and cost £0.99. iTunes should have a proper way of making them for free rather than hacks..

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
That's pretty cool. Only thing is $1.29 for a ringtone? Didn't Apple once let you create ringtones from songs on the Music Store for only $0.99? I'll admit, I may be wrong & could have hallucinated it. Hallucinating is pretty fun, you know. :p

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Won't be long before we can make out own I presume.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I'd rather find/convert my own. $1 for a 5 second sound? That's insane!

Can you do that? Is that still possible? I've been on Android for 2 yrs, and I don't want to mess with my wife's phone to figure it.

I'm sure for many people, though, (read: folks who don't read Mac message boards) this will be a no-brainer and easy money for Apple. There's a certain convenience that comes along with such an offering, and judging by the money people pay for virtual goods, I'm sure Apple will make LOTS of money off of these tones and alerts.

iCandii

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
For a long time, the limited selection of alert tones was a big complaint of iPhone owners, especially those with several iPhones in a single household.

#firstworldproblems

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
So does this mean we can FINALLY have different tones for a each different app? One for Twitter and a different one for facebook? :confused::confused::confused:

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Can you do that? Is that still possible? I've been on Android for 2 yrs, and I don't want to mess with my wife's phone to figure it.

I'm sure for many people, though, (read: folks who don't read Mac message boards) this will be a no-brainer and easy money for Apple. There's a certain convenience that comes along with such an offering, and judging by the money people pay for virtual goods, I'm sure Apple will make LOTS of money off of these tones and alerts.

You've been able to do it for years on the Mac. All you need is Garageband and you can make any ringtone, from your iTunes songs. PC users, not sure about.

However, I don't know of any way that you can make text tones.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think this is more tragic than awesome. Something so simple shouldn't require a store and cost £0.99. iTunes should have a proper way of making them for free rather than hacks..

Making them would be awesome—but you can already do that for ringtones, which are what is important to me. Custom text tones would be a neat extra as well of course.

But giving them away free was never in the cards, if they’re intellectual property like Star Wars.

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
Faq

FYI to everyone to asked. You can use ringtones as your text / alert tones (scroll down past the ‘alert tones’ list), so making your own text tone is the same process as making your own ringtone.

Also you can choose different sounds for:
Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

And you can use your (homemade) ringtones for any of those as well.

edit: This all works on an iPhone 3GS.

Steven.nevets

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vancouver, BC
cash grab... unreasonable... rip-off...

I don't care about any of that, every time I get a text C-3PO tells me "We're doomed".

And that makes me happy. Worth at least 99 cents for me.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
FYI to everyone to asked. You can use ringtones as your text / alert tones (scroll down past the ‘alert tones’ list), so making your own text tone is the same process as making your own ringtone.

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

AWESOME! Just what I wanted to know!

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
NC
It is very easy to make your own from a song
1) Choose song you want
2) Change length to the part you want (Get info-options- start time and end time). Turn up volume to +100%
3) create AAC version
4) I always add an extension to the name here so it does not interfere with another ringtone. for example change name from "song" to "song_t1" or any other number
5) Drag song to desktop
6) change extension from m4a to m4r
7) double click, it should play the text tone in the ringtone portion of iTunes

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

xFenixKnightx said:

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

AWESOME! Just what I wanted to know!

FINALLY .... iPhone catching up with Nokia - at last lol ... now
give me scheduled profiles like my $2 work Nokia has and I am happy(er)

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Yes making text tones is as simple as ringtones, that you can import directly into iTunes.
I understand paying licensing rights for Star Wars, Godfather, etc. But man I CAN'T BELIEVE how pathetically short they are! Like 2 seconds, not even a full 30!!

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love it when we are all looking one way and apples catches us off guard. Very nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.