Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
The file is not corrupted, if it was I wouldn't have been able to get mine to work eventually. My guess is that the problem is when the phone is about to get restored, it has to check in with Apple's servers. If a lot of people are doing it, you can't always make a connection with the server, so iTunes says there is an internal problem.

kerunt

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
I'm in the same boat. Tried about 20 times now.

// edit - tried again and it seems to be updating; 21st try for the win!

fluxboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I had the same issues! Re-booted phone and iMac and it's now working. must just be the numbers trying to do it.

sv1223

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I get this too on my iPhone 3GS running 4.3.5. Tried 3 times plus installing 10.7.2 and still doesn't work. If it's happening to this many people then it has to be more than a coincidence.

Steve

Tommeh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Had this issue as well. It seems to be an error when checking at Apple. Instead of updating I chose restore without backup ( did that already ). Tried like 5 or 6 times and now it works, iPhone is upgrading to 5.0.

rockhard

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Am I the only one getting the error "this device isn't eligible for the requested build"?

iP4, not jailbroken.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
This is FUBAR - they must have predicted this in the download protocol and spread the time spread for verification if it needed to ping the server - ??

SpaceKyd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
The word I am getting is that Apple's servers are swamped and rejecting half the update requests. Keep trying. Don't go and do something that'll screw up your phone!!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Am I the only one getting the error "this device isn't eligible for the requested build"?

iP4, not jailbroken.

Maybe worth backing up and doing a restore to current firmware then trying again?

My ipad is just restoring now, then onto my iphone :)

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
UPDATE: I think I found a workaround. Instead of just hitting restore or update in iTunes, press option and click restore. Then navigate to your .ipsw file which should be located in (your user name)/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates. I did this and it now is updating.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Ok Here's the scoop. I tried to reboot and still same problem with the Internal error occurred. I called Apple Care and they told me it is because the servers are way overloaded. She said just keep trying or try later when things calm down some. It may be like this for a few hours she said.

So will everyone stop trying so I can get mine updated? :p Wishful thinking.. LOL

macsidy

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An internal error has occured.

WE have 4 iPhone 4's in our house (uk), 2 on windows 2 on mac. Not one will accept iOS 5. none will restore or back up? Am updating to os10.7 see if thats gonna help,don't know about windows tho???

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I'm going to raise the spectre of heresy, but has anyone seen this problem when updating via windows? All of the posts here, that mention an OS, talk about OS X.

Edit 1: never mind: I see that macsidy has problems on windows.

I'm using win7 x64 to update my 32GB 3GS and, while I'm still waiting for the music and videos to be restored, the base OS5 firmware upgrade worked (version 5.0 (9A334)).

(So far, the entire upgrade process is now around 2 hours and counting. Restoring the apps took over an hour, and restoring the music/videos will probably take another 30-45 minutes. I hope there isn't much to restore after that.)

Edit 2: Upgrade complete, no problems. It did take around 2.5 hours, though.

Last edited:

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Apple servers are slammed

LOL getting the same error but didn't read through all the comments...

Called Apple and the Tech told me that I needed to purchase Lion to get ios5 on my ipad and iphone4. What a joke! I told him that didn't sound right and he better check that out. I hung up while on hold because I finally got it to go through. I'm on snow leopard.

So keep trying!

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Took three tries here after getting this error. Have new iTunes, old lion. Now I am slowwwwwwwly restoring iPhone apps...

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
LOL getting the same error but didn't read through all the comments...

Called Apple and the Tech told me that I needed to purchase Lion to get ios5 on my ipad and iphone4. What a joke! I told him that didn't sound right and he better check that out. I hung up while on hold because I finally got it to go through. I'm on snow leopard.

So keep trying!

I can confirm you dont need lion, im running snow leopard too.

swastik

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Guess I was a little lucky then, it went through in the 3rd try!

It is actually doing it as I write this. Touchwood.

P.S.: First post!

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I'm about to flip out. Failed for the 27th time and now NOTHING on my iPhone works. All the apps force close and I can't even open my email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.