Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gartner_3Q11_us_trend.png

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-3Q11 (Gartner)
Research firm Gartner today released its preliminary personal computer shipment data for the third quarter of 2011, offering up a picture of market performance during the quarter. Riding the strength of the MacBook Air, Apple experienced aggressive 21.5% year-over-year growth to take third place in a U.S. market that grew by only 1.1% overall.
Gartner's early study shows that Apple experienced the strongest growth among the top five vendors in the U.S. PC market. Apple's PC shipments increased 21.5 percent in the third quarter of 2011. The robust growth of the MacBook Air continued to lead Apple's overall growth in the U.S. market.
With the boost, Apple's market share in the U.S. grew to 12.9% during the third quarter, up from 10.8% in the year-ago quarter and 10.7% last quarter.

gartner_3Q11_us.png

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 3Q11 (Thousands of Units)
As usual, Gartner did not cover Apple's worldwide market share for the quarter, as the company does not rank among the top five vendors on a worldwide basis.

Article Link: Apple's Share of U.S. PC Market Leaps to 12.9% in 3Q 2011

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Apple is not gonna give up on the mac.

Its a growing segment of a huge market.

And that is before we even consider the strategic value of the mac to Apple's business.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
If and when Apple hits 25% market share for the personal computer sector I wonder if we'll see a huge increase in malware and viruses on the Mac. That's my biggest concern about an ever increasing market share.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The real question is how much longer this market will really matter.

As long as Apple's market share, but more importantly (for Apple) Apple's sales numbers are growing. 43 percent in the US from last year. That _really_ matters.

If and when Apple hits 25% market share for the personal computer sector I wonder if we'll see a huge increase in malware and viruses on the Mac. That's my biggest concern about an ever increasing market share.

Apple is working on that on two levels: By making it harder to attack applications running on MacOS X, and through sandboxing which makes it harder to exploit successful attacks.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
This makes me quite interested to see what happens with HP's computer division. Dell's numbers are falling, and Apple's are rising... If HP's computer division collapses, Apple's in the running to be #1.

Now, how likely it is that HP's business falls apart I don't know, but it's not outside the realm of possibility depending on who takes it over...

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
When you consider the almost non existent Apple presence in the corporate market, these figures are really impressive. 12.5% of the overall PC market would represent a really big slab of the consumer market. No doubt Apple would already be number one there.

mrxak

macrumors 68000

Apple keeps improving security despite the lack of current threats. Mac OS X can be incredibly secure, if developers are smart enough to take advantage of what it offers. For example, you can very easily code your program so it's in the safest operating mode possible, totally isolated from everything else, but at the same time giving specific threads within the application the ability to do what it needs to do, system-wide, whether that is reading files, writing files, or whatever, and only those things. Apple does it now with their own software, having secure, isolated processes doing the potentially dangerous stuff in things like Safari. You can use an exploit in the application, but it doesn't help you do anything dangerous.

The difference between Mac OS X and Windows (historically) is that Mac OS X was designed from the ground up to be a secure operating system. The design methodologies kept security at the top of the list, even in cases where people really weren't thinking yet about new kinds of attacks, but they wanted to preempt them.

Greater market share will certainly attract more attention from malware coders and hackers, but Mac OS X is starting from a higher level of safety.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Surely HP will continue in the computer market. That's a lot of PCs.
Their profit per PC is a lot smaller than Apple's, though. But yeah, they'll stick around. Only an idiot (like Apotheker) would even consider selling off the #1 PC manufacturing division in the industry.

Raise prices if you have to, kill off the lowest-margin lines if you have to, but you don't quit while you're #1!

As for Apple, I'd sure love to help them break 15%. Where are the new Mac Pros?!

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

1)25% is very, very far away in my opinion. Probably 2015 at the very earliest with the wind blowing downhill. :)

2)Malware/viruses/etc already exist on the Mac...and that's at around 10% market share. I would say it's going to continue forever unless Mac share drops below 10%. The coders out there aren't going to wait till Mac hits 25%.

I congratulate Apple on this milestone! I do think it will be very hard for them to crack the 20% milestone unless the Mac prices drop....Apple will have a very tough time convincing the remainder of the market to spend a lot more money on "a computer"...especially considering so much of what is done "on a computer" is internet/web browser related for the common Joe Shmoe.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
1)25% is very, very far away in my opinion. Probably 2015 at the very earliest with the wind blowing downhill. :)

2)Malware/viruses/etc already exist on the Mac...and that's at around 10% market share. I would say it's going to continue forever unless Mac share drops below 10%. The coders out there aren't going to wait till Mac hits 25%.

I congratulate Apple on this milestone! I do think it will be very hard for them to crack the 20% milestone unless the Mac prices drop....Apple will have a very tough time convincing the remainder of the market to spend a lot more money on "a computer"...especially considering so much of what is done "on a computer" is internet/web browser related for the common Joe Shmoe.

The common Joe Shmoe always takes longer to figure things out, but in households with kids we will eventually find multiple devices so every family member can go online in the evening and avoid talking to each other:)

Everybody will watch their own TV show/film or surf. Kids will do their homework on ipads or macbooks

"Heavy lifting work" will be done on a Mac, but most likely a portable one with a big screen attached and only one per household.

That leaves the pro market and business. MBP run PC and OSX if one wants to, so I see more converts and an MBP Air.

In that field Apple is IMO the best positioned of the top five.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Some bold move like acquiring Adobe would help Apple personal computer business growth and buildup ecosystem. Adobe is so cheap now.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
12%:D Great progress!

I hear people all the time saying Macs have a 3% or 5% market share. Macs are becoming rapidly more popular though, the days of Macs having a 5% market share are long gone!

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Some bold move like acquiring Adobe would help Apple personal computer business growth and buildup ecosystem. Adobe is so cheap now.

I don't agree with that. Both HP and Dell are "big IT contract" manufacturers, ie their boxes power/ cripple large institutions. To gain ground in those sectors Apple would have to fundamentally alter their business model ... Or send in the clones.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.