Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
10.7.2 came out last night and maybe this has been fixed.

Thanks Taz, sadly not. I've been running all the 10.7.x beta's but its still fairly poor.

Safari gobbles up RAM like nobodies business, yesterday with Safari, iTunes and iPhoto running (little else) I was in 4GB of Swap despite having 4GB of RAM. Safari + WebProcess were consuming over 1.2GB of RAM and then suddenly one of the Tabs became unresponsive, virtually all but the 4 visible tabs (over 4 windows) were ejected and WebProcess dropped to about 150MB of RAM and each tab had to be reloaded as I went to them.

It bugs me when Activity Monitor claims that 1GB of RAM is inactive and yet the system is using 500+ MB of swap. (particularly on a 5400rpm drive)

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
...It bugs me when Activity Monitor claims that 1GB of RAM is inactive and yet the system is using 500+ MB of swap. (particularly on a 5400rpm drive)

Open your Terminal and type 'purge'...

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I hope VZW will take my 4s back. 512mb RAM is way too small!!! This is an afront to all who want a cutting edge phone!!! :rolleyes: Actually, I seriously doubt that it will affect my experience, unless Infinity Blade 2 is a memory monster....:eek:

will i am

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
Come on apple!!!!

So now that we've found out what's in side the iPhone 4s, and besides the camera, retina display, battery ect.. The ipad2 has what you need to work with siri!! Am passing on the iPhone 4s, wasn't really impressed with it really, only thing I liked was "siri" but can we get it on the ipad2 for crying out out. Damn apple for there marketing tricks lol. Don't kid me wrong, I still love apple ;-)

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
why does everyone seem to think you should have to choose one or the other? i'm all for doing more with less, but that doesn't mean you can't put more in there for the future?

I'm not an engineer, but I do have some amount of trust that there was a technical reason for it. I keep throwing out the joke that, "Well, it doesn't run Java so it doesn't need all that RAM," but it's only partially a joke.

The iPhone 3Gs is more responsive than my MyTouch 4G (and the difference was even more staggering before I rooted it and removed HTC Sense for a copy of Cyanogen) which has 768MB of RAM. That's the 3GS. An iPhone 4 makes this thing look like a joke.

Also, this might be worth reading (and it's also why spec sheets can be deceiving): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDRAM

I can't find any indication that Samsung (or any other Android manufacturer) is using similar memory (I could be wrong though) but Apple certainly is.

i know it won't hurt sales, and in fact it wouldn't add very much to sales to include it if the device performs well without it. my concern is fully about how quickly it will limit how well future versions of the OS run/are supported.

Looks like the latest and greatest is going to be supported for 2 - 3 phone generations. That's it. I'm sure, engineering-wise, they factor in what they believe will be the bottleneck and design accordingly. I wonder if this cycle will slow down a bit as the smart phone market matures, but for right now that appears to be how things will work.

Apple has always been substantially more likely to kill old products that say... Microsoft. No one should be shocked that they continue to do what they do.

and as for the people here seem to love to down rate anything questioning an apple decision, i'd ask that you at least bother to respond with why you think its "bad" for me to be thinking about how my phone will be running towards the end of my contract term.

Some of it is fanboyism. Some of it, however, is just me getting sick and tired if seeing this: :( over and over again from people who look at spec sheets when rating the quality of a device. Your three-year-old phone is going to run like crap compared the latest and greatest. This is a fast moving market dominated by companies that WANT you to upgrade. Deal with it. Apple is no sinner or saint here. I just wish people would recognize that in many respects they're just like everyone else.

its been a rough ride on my 3G waiting 20-30s or more for simple things like my text messages/address book to load, and i'm already upgrading 6months early to try to "keep up" with what is apparently required to have a useable device. what is it about these concerns given my experiences offends you all so much?

What horrible contract are you on that you're upgrading early from a 3G? It was released over 3 years ago.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I hope VZW will take my 4s back. 512mb RAM is way too small!!! This is an afront to all who want a cutting edge phone!!! :rolleyes: Actually, I seriously doubt that it will affect my experience, unless Infinity Blade 2 is a memory monster....:eek:

I agree total BS on the iPhone 4S. this upgrade is even less than I expected. I knew I should not have upgraded from my iPhone4.

I am sorry the only really change is the camera and processor(oh yea the antenna and faster 3G???). No RAM upgrade. No way Siri needs the A5 and will not work on A4.

I use Dragon Medical for dictation and Ram is hugely important. So if Siri runs on the A5 with 512 it will run on the A4 slightly slower I bet.

Jeez Apple really screwed us. Well I have lost interest in whether it shows up tomorrow.

Wonder if I can just return it. Siri will be on the iPhone4 after they JB, I bet.

I doubt there will be any really speed changes that will be noticable.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Article about less ram being necessary for better battery life is nonsense. Samsung isn't having problems with 1gb and better battery life than the iPhone.
OMG, Samsung invented memory that does not require electricity. How come I just hear this now? Media bias, I tell you...

deellow

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
Anyone know how Apple chose to differentiate the phone visually? Every version has had some distinct marking or printing on the rear to help visually separate it from other generations.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
OMG, Samsung invented memory that does not require electricity. How come I just hear this now? Media bias, I tell you...

This has to be the best response of the day. LOL!

----------

Anyone know how Apple chose to differentiate the phone visually? Every version has had some distinct marking or printing on the rear to help visually separate it from other generations.

It looks like the Verizon iPhone which has two breaks at the top left and right side of the antenna band, plus it has the sim card slot on the right side. I don't think there are any other markings.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I am sorry the only really change is the camera and processor(oh yea the antenna and faster 3G???).

Yeah, that's pretty rough. The processor (which dictates the speed both in terms of general purpose instructions as well as graphics), the camera (which people who don't read spec sheets care about), and the antenna (which I use, you know, whenever I place a phone call). Just what has Apple been doing? I wish they would have upgraded the RAM instead since that affects my experience way more than the processor, camera and antenna.

Incidentally, that "faster 3G" is a lot faster. That's been my experience anyway seeing as the MyTouch 4G is really just HSPA+.

No RAM upgrade. No way Siri needs the A5 and will not work on A4.

No way? Really? So you're a Siri dev who knows exactly what it requires then? Please, do tell.

I use Dragon Medical for dictation and Ram is hugely important. So if Siri runs on the A5 with 512 it will run on the A4 slightly slower I bet.

Dictation (long streams of voice being converted to text) is not the same as natural language commands (algorithmically trying to determine the MEANING of what is being said). Just because your voice is involved doesn't mean that it's all the same.

Jeez Apple really screwed us. Well I have lost interest in whether it shows up tomorrow.

Yeah. They have. Those crooks. They must have sent goons to your door to break your current phone so you'd have to buy a new phone. That's how it went down, right?

Wonder if I can just return it. Siri will be on the iPhone4 after they JB, I bet.

So let me get this straight: you haven't even used the new phone yet, but you know it won't be much of an improvement because of the RAM? You also clearly don't even understand what Siri is, but you know what hardware is and is not capable of running it.

You sir, because of your amazing insight, should take up sports gambling or something. You'll make a ton of cash.

Benchmarks thus far indicate otherwise. But hey, don't let that get in the way of your whining.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Just like I was saying. 4S is just the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 with an A5 chip and a sexy new camera.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
According to ifixit, the front panel alignment appears to be the GSM version. Any word on the back glass panel?

iRumored

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
It's all in the OS. That, is why I think it's safe to say the iPhone is theee best phone on the market. Take the Thunderbolt.. That thing is spec'd out to make the iPhone 4 look like an infant. Try using one, then try the iPhone 4, or even 3GS for that matter.. iOS destroys it with a fraction of the hardware.. Not to mention that iconic layout that all other phones try to imitate that has lasted ever since the very first iPhone. I think that speaks volumes alone.

Every phone out there, when it comes to smartphones, is in competition with the iPhone.. The iPhone sets the standards, which is pretty astounding.

Not a fanboy speaking here, I own 0 apple products..

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I agree total BS on the iPhone 4S. this upgrade is even less than I expected. I knew I should not have upgraded from my iPhone4.

I am sorry the only really change is the camera and processor(oh yea the antenna and faster 3G???). No RAM upgrade. No way Siri needs the A5 and will not work on A4.

um.... you do realize it has a new gpu and siri could need the A5 considering it has AI it could be very cpu intensive you cannot assume just because t does not look like anything you try to program an iOS app god some people these days and i do know because i am iOS dev in training

sab165

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
With the teardown over there is only one real question that remains...will Siri actually work on the iPad 2?

I didn't see any definitive proof from the teardown that said one way or the other so I am curious to see what others think at this point.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
With the teardown over there is only one real question that remains...will Siri actually work on the iPad 2?

I didn't see any definitive proof from the teardown that said one way or the other so I am curious to see what others think at this point.

well seeing as the 4s has a under clocked A5 with 512 ram it should run better on iPad 2 but perhaps the 4s has a better microphone or perhaps is more optimized for siri?

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
edit: life's too short to waste debating with people who are just in it for the argument or to disparage. enjoy your victory.

Yes, because of course anyone who disagrees with your position is only doing so because they're in it for the argument or to disparage. Nice.

(Incidentally, I will.)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe they did... iPhone 3G and 3GS had identical basebands (down to the baseband firmware) and yet the 3GS was capable of 7.2mbps while the 3G was only able to do 3.6mbps. Clearly they deliberately limited the 3G, presumably to "save a feature" for the next phone. They might be doing that now too.

If that's the case, hopefully the "full speed" can be unlocked with a jailbreak

Which makes me wonder if the 6610 version was made specifically for Apple to disable somethings - more specifically AWS support to disallow it to be used in 3G mode on T-Mobile US.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
512 MB of ram... wow... thats suppose to last another year til the next iphone comes out. So thats 512MB of ram that hasn't changed for two and a half year. Technology is always growing at an alarm speed, and you're limited to this amount of ram for two and a half years. Some of you don't understand how bad this is. It limits your ability to multitask, one of the most important uses of a smart phone. It limits what developers can do, as they have to watch out for the ram, which has become the bottleneck. But I see a few people here even applauding Apple. Enjoy the 4s. Some of us will wait for the next one.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Just like I was saying. 4S is just the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 with an A5 chip and a sexy new camera.

So tell us what you were expecting that it would have made it so much more exciting? A larger screen? More RAM? Faster processor? Weaker battery from the larger screen, more RAM and faster processor. Oh wait, Apple could have added a larger battery and made the case thicker which would have added more weight. Gee just what I want a larger, thicker, heavier phone. :rolleyes:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Feels like the hardware team took a vacation while the iOS devs made Siri. Lame strategy.
Which part of a phone impacts how you use the handset? Why part of it do you actually interact with? It's the software. A handset is only as good as the software running on it.

A lame strategy would be to concentrate on hardware specs and to leave the software as an afterthought. That is kind of what you have with Android handsets. Despite their fast processors, the software is sluggish and the experience is poor.

Of course, I would not expect everyone, especially those not involved in software dev, to understand what role software plays in the user experience.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
I'm more amazed at the intro of the teardown than anything else. Did siri really respond "42 is the number of seconds before I initiate self destruct."

wow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.