Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I have a MBP with OS X Lion.

I downloaded the X.2 update, updated iTunes, downloaded the iCloud update.

I've signed in with my Apple ID, and checked everything, enabled Photo Stream etc.

However, it still tells me that 5gb of 5gb is available, and when I click on the manage button to the right of the storage bar, it says "You are not using any iCloud storage" as well as saying Mail 0KB and Backups 0KB.

What am I doing wrong?

I have not yet upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5 and won't be doing so until I know that iOS5 doesn't have any major bugs. Plus I'm going away for a week so won't get a chance to do that until after I get back.

Do I need to have an iOS5 device before it will start to backup?

Or should it be backing up my data from my MacBook Pro already?

asupergav

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Upgrade your devices

Hi there,

You must upgrade all your devices, including laptop, to ios 5 to enable iCloud to work. If you have a mobileme account this will automatically become inactive and at some stage it will tell you if you try to access it.

I have a slightly different problem in that I've successfully updated all my devices to iCloud but my Mac BookPro is the only device which doesn't photstream and in my iCloud account, it shows I have 0 kb of storage for backups. Trying to manage it doesn't work as everything is "greyed out".

So if there is anybody who can help with this I'd be grateful.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
iCloud doesn't back up anything from your mac.

iCloud does several things

1) If you choose to use it for mail/calendar/contacts these will be stored on iCloud for syncing with all your devices
2) If you have an iPad/iPhone/Ipod Touch running iOS5 then app settings will be backed up to iCloud
3) Any photos taken on your iPad/iPhone/Ipod Touch will be sent to the iCloud Photostream
4) Anything produced in Pages/Numbers/etc on IOS will be sent to iCloud for access at iCloud.com

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
4) Anything produced in Pages/Numbers/etc on IOS will be sent to iCloud for access at iCloud.com
Only if you explicitly save it to iCloud as far as I can see? I thought it would be more seamless than that - anything created in Pages on either my Mac or on my iPad would be automatically copied to iCloud, but unless there's a setting I'm missing somewhere, it doesn't do that.

I have to:
- explicitly upload the document on device 1
- explicitly download it on device 2

It's actually clunkier than Dropbox.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Only if you explicitly save it to iCloud as far as I can see? I thought it would be more seamless than that - anything created in Pages on either my Mac or on my iPad would be automatically copied to iCloud, but unless there's a setting I'm missing somewhere, it doesn't do that.

I have to:
- explicitly upload the document on device 1
- explicitly download it on device 2

It's actually clunkier than Dropbox.

For now, I agree it is clunky. I think we will need an update to iWorks apps to allow seamless saving to iCloud.

miklosfl

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Greensboro, GA
Pages , numbers Saved at iWork.com in the cloud

The beta is now available, so you can save the docs there. Strangely, the same iOS versions save directly to iCloud, not iWork. You get an additional 1GB of storage for mac docs there and it works like idisk, you can share with others, or just yourself
As for iCloud, everything has been coming up in stages. So now, my mail, backups of my iPhone, iPad, and photo stream from Aperture (that just started working yesterday) are working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.