Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I have never bought an iPhone on launch day, nor have I ever had one thats been on contract. I have always used a go-phone sim card and micro-sim for prepaid means.

Now I will be picking up the new iPhone tomorrow morning and have $250 in cash ready for the 16GB.

Here are my questions;

Because the contract price is $199 for the 16GB will I need to pay the first months AT&T bill in the apple store in order for them to activate the phone?

My credit is shot due to college bills, that being said, if the above happens, will I be required to undergo a credit check, and if so, will I have to pay a larger down payment initially? (I spoke with a Verizon rep one day and they said that I would have to pay a bit more for as a down payment due to bad credit, and I fear the same holds true for AT&T)

If non of the above happens, do I just pay the $199 for the phone and then pay the bill on a later date once I sign the contracts and stuff?

I really would appreciate some help with this and kinda need to know this ahead of tomorrows launch. If $250 is not enough then what would be enough?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!

All I really need is someone to explain to me the process of getting an iPhone on launch day...

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Sometimes they require a $150-$250 deposit. I think I paid $150 a long time ago when I opened my first phone line ever with no credit at 18. They refund it to you after a year or so.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You would pay the price of the phone in-store. They will run a credit check to see if a deposit is needed. If it's needed, you will pay that on top of the cost of the phone tomorrow. You're first bill will be due around a month after tomorrow.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
You would pay the price of the phone in-store. They will run a credit check to see if a deposit is needed. If it's needed, you will pay that on top of the cost of the phone tomorrow. You're first bill will be due around a month after tomorrow.

Deleted.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Sometimes they require a $150-$250 deposit. I think I paid $150 a long time ago when I opened my first phone line ever with no credit at 18. They refund it to you after a year or so.

Oh wow. So with my really bad credit I can expect that...im short about 250 then...damnit.

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
$250 will cut it close anyway. The phone is $199 and is taxed on the full amount ($699, I think) so depending on what your taxes are...you won't quite have enough (or will be SUPER close).

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
So is it possible for me to purchase the iPhone and not activate it until I have the deposit?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So is it possible for me to purchase the iPhone and not activate it until I have the deposit?

Only at unsubsidized price ($649 for the 16GB). To get the subsidized price of $199, you must enter into a contract with the carrier - and if they require a deposit, that will have to be paid before they give you the contract.

----------

$250 will cut it close anyway. The phone is $199 and is taxed on the full amount ($699, I think)

$649. I have heard that in California you're taxed on the full price, but in most states I don't believe that's true.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Only at unsubsidized price ($649 for the 16GB). To get the subsidized price of $199, you must enter into a contract with the carrier - and if they require a deposit, that will have to be paid before they give you the contract.

----------

$649. I have heard that in California you're taxed on the full price, but in most states I don't believe that's true.

For clarities sake,

If I want to buy the iPhone with bad credit I will need to pay the deposit plus the initial price of the phone and activate it immediately.

If I don't want to activate it immedialtey I have to buy the unlocked one.

$250 just seems way too small...damn.

Jordan9

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Texas
You can go to an AT&T store today and have them run the credit check for you to see if you will need to have money for a deposit or not. I did this last year and was able to order my phone and transfer from Verizon without paying a deposit.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I went through the preorder process on both Verizon.com and ATT.com and entered in all me personal info. Driver License # Social # CC Info. and both sites said that the final price I would have to pay would be 215.99.

Now I assume they both did an instant credit check, nothing notified me that my credit was bad.

Should I still call up Tech Support and get a person to help or is the price that both sites quoted me accurate enough to hold true when I visit the actual store tomorrow?

Meaning if they site said 215.99 could I walk into the ATT store and only have to pay 215.99?

Bruce91

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Washington D.C.
I'm in a similar situation too because I have limited credit history. I'm a 20 year old student and I've been going crazy waiting to see if they're going to make me put a deposit down for signing a contract on my own. I doubt I'll get my own line if they make me put a deposit down :mad:

----------

I went through the preorder process on both Verizon.com and ATT.com and entered in all me personal info. Driver License # Social # CC Info. and both sites said that the final price I would have to pay would be 215.99.

Now I assume they both did an instant credit check, nothing notified me that my credit was bad.

Should I still call up Tech Support and get a person to help or is the price that both sites quoted me accurate enough to hold true when I visit the actual store tomorrow?

Meaning if they site said 215.99 could I walk into the ATT store and only have to pay 215.99?

I know when you call them up and open a new contract through the phone they run your credit on the spot and will tell you whether you need a deposit or at least thats how they did it at T-Mobile. I think you should call just so theres no surprises later on in the day or week.

Thats what i'm planning on doing next week through ATT Premier just to save myself the embarassament of an in store decline.

Jordan9

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Texas
When I originally started my cell service in December of 05 I was 19 and had no credit history and at the time AT&T wanted me to pay a few hundred dollar deposit. So I left there and walked to Verizon and they said I could get up to 5 lines with no deposit. So I guess it depends on what service they use to check your credit. And when I went last year to switch to AT&T I had a good credit history and was able to transfer my line with no deposit.

mralmostpopular

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Does AT&T have an activation fee? That may be required as well. I know that at Sprint, they want that paid at the same time as the phone purchase.

This probably has nothing to do with the actual contract, but rather the phone price, plus tax. You're going to want to check with AT&T (talk with an actual person) to verify what you are/aren't going to have to pay. It's impossible for any of us to know whether you'll need a deposit, or what that deposit will be.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I called and apparently I am approved for 10 lines on ATT with no deposit. Which is a pleasant surprise.

Im gonna get in line real soon.

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
No not at all. I'm in a similar situation!

This made my day actually. Read my above post from earlier.

And you're only 18 right?

20. But I figured my college debt would destroy any chances of me getting the GodPhone.

Bruce91

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Washington D.C.
20. But I figured my college debt would destroy any chances of me getting the GodPhone.

Oh god, tell me about it. It really annoys me because i'm pretty responsible and pay my credit card bill in full every month (at least for the past 4 months) but I have limited credit history except for my excessive student loans :(

Millionin20s

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
That's awesome that you're eligible for so many lines.
Do NOT tell any of your relatives you can add them on a plan. I learned that the hard way when I was 18, and that is still on my credit history (actually, it's the reason why I had to wait until Sprint got the iPhone to get one).

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Oh god, tell me about it. It really annoys me because i'm pretty responsible and pay my credit card bill in full every month (at least for the past 4 months) but I have limited credit history except for my excessive student loans :(

I only use a check card/debit card. Not a real credit card. I am not responsible enough to have one of those.

----------

That's awesome that you're eligible for so many lines.
Do NOT tell any of your relatives you can add them on a plan. I learned that the hard way when I was 18, and that is still on my credit history (actually, it's the reason why I had to wait until Sprint got the iPhone to get one).

Advice gladly taken.

----------

Now once an unlock comes out for the 4S could I cancel the contract (pending the termination fee) and use my old GoPhone sim card? That would be awesome. (Granted the GoPhone sim is not a micro-sim but i can cut it down no problem.)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

No.

Now once an unlock comes out for the 4S could I cancel the contract (pending the termination fee) and use my old GoPhone sim card? That would be awesome. (Granted the GoPhone sim is not a micro-sim but i can cut it down no problem.)

Termination fee is $350. That with 2 months of plan = more than the price of an unlocked iPhone, which Apple will sell next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.