Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
A while back, everyone was looking for the ringtone that was used at the end of the iPhone commercials (just a basic ringing phone tone). I searched and found a file that someone had posted. I transferred it to iTunes as a .mp4file, and then to my iPhone.

I love the ringtone; the ones preinstalled on the iPhone are terrible.

Here is my problem: I want to keep my ringer volume all the way up, but the ringtone file that I downloaded is EXTREMELY loud. I have to keep it less than 1/4 volume. But I use my alarm a lot, and I need it all the way up because it is a different ringtone. How do I adjust the volume of the .mp4 ringtone to make it the same level as the rest of them on the iPhone?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It should be possible.

I create ringtones for my iPhone using GarageBand all the time, and have turned the file 'volume' down numerous times.

Edit*

Is there a solution for those of us that don't own a Mac?

Buy a mac??? :p

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I don't know if this'd work, but could you take the ringtone file (.m4r) and copy it to your desktop or wherever; then open Properties and change the file extension to .m4a. Reimport to iTunes as a regular music file, adjust the volume, then copy back to desktop, change the extension back to .m4r and reimport to iTunes as a ringtone? I can't test it at the moment because I'm on my work computer and this way is probably a way bigger PITA than necessary, but it might work for PC users.

cypher7810

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
This unfortunatly doesn't work. When I open garageband all the ringtones are greyed out and I cannot select them to edit. I changed it on the .m4a version in itunes but that only works on the songs, when I convert it to a ringtone it goes back up to full volume and is WAY to loud, any ideas on how to make this work?

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
This unfortunatly doesn't work. When I open garageband all the ringtones are greyed out and I cannot select them to edit. I changed it on the .m4a version in itunes but that only works on the songs, when I convert it to a ringtone it goes back up to full volume and is WAY to loud, any ideas on how to make this work?

Open it in Audacity (free, Mac or PC) or Amadeus Pro (paid, Mac) and edit the volume and save. Audacity will save as .m4a / AAC. Just rename the extension to .m4r. Amadeus will export directly as a ringtone. Enjoy!

mluman83

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Florida
Open it in Audacity (free, Mac or PC) or Amadeus Pro (paid, Mac) and edit the volume and save. Audacity will save as .m4a / AAC. Just rename the extension to .m4r. Amadeus will export directly as a ringtone. Enjoy!

I am bumping this thread. I have done the above process and the volume is still the same. I cant find how to lower the actual audio file's output volume!

Wait nevermind, I figured it out. You can adjust it by lowering or raising "gain".

Last edited:

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
I am bumping this thread. I have done the above process and the volume is still the same. I cant find how to lower the actual audio file's output volume!

then you are doing it wrong because I have also done the above process with much success drop the volume down to 25% or less that should make a difference.

vishnu4net

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015

Wait nevermind, I figured it out. You can adjust it by lowering or raising "gain".
wait,,, wat do u mean by lowering or raising "gain". How do i do it?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It should be possible.

I create ringtones for my iPhone using GarageBand all the time, and have turned the file 'volume' down numerous times.

Edit*

Buy a mac??? :p
PC software for this is a lot. See Gold wave, and ultra expensive audition.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can try sound studio. This is a paid software but should be able to handle this issue.
If you are lucky enough, you may borrow a PC with Adobe audition installed, which is way enough to deal with such issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.