Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I am curious if I can activate Siri through the Ford sync system in my F-150. In other words, will Siri work when connected to bluetooth in the truck? Anybody have thoughts on this?

----------

SH**T... I just saw somebody already started a thread on this. Sorry :D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does the phone accept voice commands through it currently? If so then the chances are yes!

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does the phone accept voice commands through it currently? If so then the chances are yes!

The sync system only accepts certain voice commands. But Siri accepts all kinds of voice commands, would this work when connected to sync? I hope Siri overrides the sync commands and will work with anything I say via bluetooth.

An example would be reading texts. Currently iPhones are not compatible with sync text messaging. Since the new iPhone has Siri, will it read my texts when I give it the command via sync?

7timethecrystal

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
I can confirm Siri works in a way with Sync. If you talk to her while connected, Sync thinks your dialing your own number, and pipes her responses through the car audio. I didn't try out using the talk button on the wheel, but you can at least press the mic button on the phone and hear responses through the audio. I can imagine you cold send txts that way!

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I can confirm Siri works in a way with Sync. If you talk to her while connected, Sync thinks your dialing your own number, and pipes her responses through the car audio. I didn't try out using the talk button on the wheel, but you can at least press the mic button on the phone and hear responses through the audio. I can imagine you cold send txts that way!

This is how I imagined it would work. If you press the Ford Sync button, it is sync taking commands not your phone, and I doubt ford will change that because they think sync is awesome... So we will just have to press the home button then talk through sync's mic. It could be worse I guess.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I used sync with siri yesterday and it worked fine. The only problem is that there is no way to activate siri from the steering wheel. You have to press the home button on the phone and then sync thinks you are calling your own number, like mentioned above. I like it though because you don't have to look at your phone to press the home button. Text messaging is good with siri and sync but thats all you need to use it for because the ford sync does all the rest as far as location services, directions, making calls etc etc...I was disappointed that ford sync was not compatible with iPhone text messaging. But now siri fixes that problem :)

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I couldnt get it to work well in my f-150. She jacked my commands all up.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
This is how I imagined it would work. If you press the Ford Sync button, it is sync taking commands not your phone, and I doubt ford will change that because they think sync is awesome... So we will just have to press the home button then talk through sync's mic. It could be worse I guess.

I was very sad when I heard that b!tch sync talk and not Siri when I pressed the sync button. We need an aftermarket option to kill Sync...

----------

I couldnt get it to work well in my f-150. She jacked my commands all up.

I find the mics Ford use are the worse.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I used sync with siri yesterday and it worked fine. The only problem is that there is no way to activate siri from the steering wheel. You have to press the home button on the phone and then sync thinks you are calling your own number, like mentioned above. I like it though because you don't have to look at your phone to press the home button. Text messaging is good with siri and sync but thats all you need to use it for because the ford sync does all the rest as far as location services, directions, making calls etc etc...I was disappointed that ford sync was not compatible with iPhone text messaging. But now siri fixes that problem :)

+1.
Works great on my 2010 Ford Fusion. You just have to activate Siri from the phone.

Now, if i could only get it so I hear message notifications while connected to Sync. don't know there is a message there unless i glance at the phone.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
+1.
Works great on my 2010 Ford Fusion. You just have to activate Siri from the phone.

Now, if i could only get it so I hear message notifications while connected to Sync. don't know there is a message there unless i glance at the phone.

Same here. Siri and dication for text and email worked on the Sync System in my Ford Fusion Sport with Navi just fine. The In Car Touch Screen displays the phone is all that I notice changing.

Now I can actually text and drive and it's really no different than talking on the phone.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Currently iPhones are not compatible with sync text messaging.

Is the 4S still not compatible with the text messaging? My first Droid wasn't, but my Droid 2 is compatible. It actually works pretty slick, however if you want to send a canned response back you have to be stopped.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Is the 4S still not compatible with the text messaging? My first Droid wasn't, but my Droid 2 is compatible. It actually works pretty slick, however if you want to send a canned response back you have to be stopped.

No, the 4S is not compatible with sync text messaging. This is a conflict between Microsoft and Apple. I have called both Apple and Microsoft and they both blame each other on why it doesn't work. Apple said that Microsoft has to come out with a software update to allow iPhones to work with sync text messaging. Microsoft told me the same thing about Apple and that they need to unlock this feature in their iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.