Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:37 PM   #26
markie
macrumors 6502a

The sucky thing for Japanese customers will be au is CDMA. CDMA sucks. No true conference calling, no simultaneous voice/data, slow speeds. Why not NTT DoCoMo?
markie is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:46 PM   #27
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

au has way better service (both customer & reception) than SoftBank. I also like the fact that you can opt out of automatic bank transfers and instead pay at the conbini with a slip, even with a 2 year contract.

But I've been using SoftBank for years now, and most of my friends are using SoftBank as well. I could never give up the White Plan.
plasticparadox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:30 AM   #28
markie
macrumors 6502a

One thing I think it's important to realize is that the Japanese cell phone market is extremely backwards. More so than the United States even. Weird exclusivity deals, a complete inability for foreigners to purchase a cheap prepaid SIM (or just about anything for that matter!), and outrageous contracts.
markie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:20 AM   #29
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
One thing I think it's important to realize
Why?

Not trying to be snarky, but I don't see how the fact that the Japanese market is different to what you personally are used to is relevant to the topic.
plasticparadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:42 PM   #30
CanuckInJapan
macrumors member

RBBtoday.com has posted some pages photographed from the au October 2011 catalogue online.

This photo includes one line referring to the iPhone at the bottom right.
"iPhone users can look forward to using this from Friday, October 21, 2011."
(It appears that this is just a message indicating that the site is accessible to "non au" smartphones as well.)

What it's referring to is the use of a new 「関東おススメ!」 (Kanto Osusume!) service provided by au. This site features weather info and news etc. for the Kanto region and is already accessible on an iOS device (sp.55aukanto.com).
What makes it worthy of notice though, is that they specify the date 10/21/2011 to look forward to...

CanuckInJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:11 PM   #31
CanuckInJapan
macrumors member

It's official, the iPhone 4S will be sold by both Softbank, and au from October 14, 2011 in Japan.

Reuters has a short article in English:
Quote:
(Reuters) - Japan's second-largest mobile carrier KDDI will sell Apple's new iPhone, the California-based company said, ending rival operator Softbank's highly profitable reign as the sole provider in Japan.
The move, reported earlier by Japanese media, comes after Apple opted for similar strategies in other markets, with Sprint becoming the third operator to offer the iPhone in the United States, after AT&T and Verizon.

Last edited by CanuckInJapan; Oct 4, 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added Reuters article
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:37 PM   #32
Nishiko
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can anyone comment on the difference between Softbank and AU in terms of data speeds? In the last day or so since the iPhone 4S announcement, I've seen news articles that AU's network is limited to 3Mbps down/1Mbps up for data. This seems rediculous to me, especially if the phone is capable is of 14 down/5 up (although I know that is the perfect "ideal"). I understand that AU has better cell reception than Softbank, and someone posted earlier in this thread that Softbank throttles iPhone data speeds anyway, but what are the average speeds to expect on Softbank now? I've heard that Softbank has committed to upgrading their network in the coming months, could this greatly improve things for the iPhone 4S?
I had AT&T in the US with my iPhone 4, and I was happy with their service, so guess I'm using that as my baseline for comparison.

I've just started living in Japan about 3 months ago, and I've been holding off on getting a cell until the new iPhone was released, but now I'm confused about which network to go with. Data speeds are definately the higher priority for me, but I still need to be able to make calls (also, I'm in Nagoya, so I know things could be different here than in Tokyo).
I would really appreciate any help/info, thanks.
Nishiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 09:47 PM   #33
CanuckInJapan
macrumors member

KDDI has posted a iPhone 4S page on their site (Japanese).
On the same page is a link to a PDF file (Japanese) containing the iPhone 4S fee structure etc.
I have attached my own translation of the fee structure from Pg2 of the PDF file.
As you can see, the 16 GB iPhone 4S will be free.
This will definitely ramp up the competition, it will be interesting to see what Softbank's fees will be (announcing today).

Pg4 of the PDF file states that the monthly data fee is being dropped from 5,460 yen/mo. to 4,980 yen/mo. (for a max of 24 months).
The "IS Flat Phone Start Campaign" will be from Oct. 14, 2011 - Jan. 31, 2012.
(Refer to the PDF file for more details.)

- Cash-back campaign for those switching over from other carriers.
For new customers, they will receive a cash-back of 10,000 yen:
- Utilizing MNP for a new iPhone 4S
- Must apply for IS NET
- Must apply for the IS Flat Phone Start Campaign
- Must sign up between Oct. 14, 2011 - Jan. 31, 2012.
(Not clear as to what happens if you go for the 16GB iPhone 4S which is free to start with, receive 10,000 yen worth of products/services perhaps. And maybe it means that the 32GB will end up being essentially free for new users - also not clear.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDDI-AU-iphone-fee.gif
Views:	36
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	304974  
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #34
Wubby
macrumors newbie

Just a heads up before you jump to KDDI/AU if you care about data speeds at all:

KDDI/AU iPhones are limited to to a paltry 3Mbps down and 1.8Mbps up.

Softbank iPhones will get 14Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

http://mainichi.jp/select/biz/it/new...20015000c.html

I placed my order for a 64GB black 4S with Softbank earlier this morning. Personally here in Shizuoka I've never had any reception issues in the last two and a half years with my 3G.

Edit: Also Softbank To Charge Lower iPhone 4S Monthly Fee Than KDDI

Only Y4,410!

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...07-700069.html

Last edited by Wubby; Oct 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Wubby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 01:54 AM   #35
CanuckInJapan
macrumors member

Following up on KDDI's iPhone 4S payment plan, Softbank has announced their payment plan, and incentive campaigns to convince existing 3G/3GS users to switch to the iPhone 4S.

Upon switching to the iPhone 4S, the remainder of your subsidized payments for the existing 3G/3GS will be discounted as a monthly cash-back option.
Campaign period is from Oct. 14 to Nov. 30 (iPhone 3GS or 3G customers only)
If I understand it correctly, it means Softbank will absolve you of paying the remainder of your 3G/3GS contract as long as you switch to the iPhone 4S (16GB), or the iPhone 4 (16GB/8GB).
Are-Kore-Sore upgrade campaign (Japanese)

Softbank's iPhone 4S info is now online
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KDDI-AU-SBM-iphone-fee.gif
Views:	45
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	305016  

Last edited by CanuckInJapan; Oct 7, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:18 AM   #36
macrumors 6502

As the new 4s will be CDMA and GSM, will the GSM/Usim on teh AU phone be unlocked?
199708 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:17 AM   #37
britishchris
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdis View Post
As the new 4s will be CDMA and GSM, will the GSM/Usim on teh AU phone be unlocked?
I highly doubt it. AU wouldn't want to miss out on the lovely money maker that is international roaming charges!
britishchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:28 PM   #38
CanuckInJapan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubby View Post
Just a heads up before you jump to KDDI/AU if you care about data speeds at all:
KDDI/AU iPhones are limited to to a paltry 3Mbps down and 1.8Mbps up.
Softbank iPhones will get 14Mbps down and 6Mbps up.
Softbank is indeed pushing their "superior" transfer speeds, but it seems that the reality does not live up to the hype.
Download (orange) and upload (yellow) speed tests were made using the following phones:
au (AQUOS PHONE IS11SH), docomo (GALAXY S II SC-02C), and SoftBank (iPhone4) on 3G lines (WiMAX at the right is much faster).
(Testing was between 8/22 - 29, 2011)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	au-docomo-softank-speed37384e90ee777c70f.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	305961  
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:20 AM   #39
CanuckInJapan
macrumors member

This side-by-side network speed test of four Japanese iPhones (4 and 4S) comparing au (KDDI) and Softbank is getting a lot of attention (posted by Gizmodo Japan).

The speed test results were:
au (KDDI) - 1.68 Mbps and 1.26 Mbps
Softbank - 82.13 kbps and 88.3 kbps <-- note that is kbps, not Mbps
Softbank is pushing their network speeds, but it would appear the reality is just a tad different.
CanuckInJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:07 AM   #40
markie
macrumors 6502a

I was not trying to be rude to anyone in Japan. There's things about Japanese culture I love (I'm actually a huge anime, manga, and Vocaloid fan!). Just pointing out to the Americans on here who think everywhere has it better than us, no, they don't. Japan, Canada, and Australia are a few major places that make American mobile pricing look affordable and competitive. And in Japan, things are SLOW (except on DoCoMo, which makes me wonder why on earth the iPhone isn't on DoCoMo?!?!?!?!?!)
markie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:53 PM   #41
japanime
macrumors 65816

EDIT: Sorry, double post. Didn't realize it was the same thread I'd posted to earlier!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion