Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
sorry, i tried searching and couldnt find a 100% answer..i NEED my iphone 4 to remain unlocked..can i upgrade to iOS5 and then jailbreak it then use ultrasn0w to unlock?

thanks in advance

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
sorry, i tried searching and couldnt find a 100% answer..i NEED my iphone 4 to remain unlocked..can i upgrade to iOS5 and then jailbreak it then use ultrasn0w to unlock?

thanks in advance

Get the new version of Redsnow and create a custom firmware and update in pwned DFU mode. See this tutorial. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=17344

You will end up with a tethered jailbreak if that is not a problem.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA

thanks in advance

If I understand you correctly. You have an Iphone 4 with 4.3.3, baseband 01.59 and it is unlocked with Ultrasn0w. You want to upgrade it to OS5 and still keep the baseband of 01.59.

My question to you is how did you do it previously? 01.59 baseband was on 4.0 firmware. Apparently, this phone has been upgraded from 4.0 firmware to 4.3.3 while preserving the baseband.

For upgrading to OS5, all you have to do is to follow your previous method which is sn0wbreeze or pwnage tool to create custons OS5 for this phone.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
thanks for the reply

can i just upgrade to iOS5 through itunes then use redn0w to jailbreak it..then download ultran0w and unlock it? what would be the advantage of me creating a custom IPSW?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
thanks for the reply

can i just upgrade to iOS5 through itunes then use redn0w to jailbreak it..then download ultran0w and unlock it? what would be the advantage of me creating a custom IPSW?

Because when you upgrade to OS5 through Itunes, the baseband on your phone also upgrade to 05.11 which can't be unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

Creating customs firmware allow you to keep your old golden baseband so once you update to OS5, you still can unlock it with Ultrasn0w.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
im sorry im running 4.0.1..not 4.3.3

Again, if you want to remain unlock, you MUST upgrade your phone with customs firmware creates by sn0wbreeze (if you have PC) or Pwnage tool (if you have Mac).

The 01.59 modem firmware you have on your phone is very valuable. If you are not comfortable of doing the upgrade by yourself. My recommendation is to hire someone to do it. There are lot of people put ads on local craigslist to do this for about $15 to $20. For me, I think it a rip off, but for you then I think it worth it.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
You'll want to download the latest version of RedSn0w to create your custom IPSW if you're on a Mac. After that, restore with iTunes with the newly created file.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I just love the misinformation on this forum. Freaking dangerous stuff. My instructions are for mac users.

Get the latest redsn0w from the dev team here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5 it's linked to in update 13.

Build a custom firmware (5.0) with it. It won't add the bb update in this firmware it builds.

Get into dfu mode and restore with the no bb firmware file you just made.

When done, use redsn0w to jailbreak. Once that's done then just boot tethered so you can launch cydia. Install ultrasn0w. Reboot.

Use redsn0w again to just boot tethered.

Done.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
i loaded the custom firmware as per the iclarified instructions, but when i go to jailbreak, redsn0w says "unexpected error" ..tried it a bunch of times..i have the latest itunes as well as the latest update to lion

also when i put my iphone into DFU mode then hit jailbreak, it starts jailbreaking..it says "uploading first stage" then it says "exploit failed"..the iphone screen then goes completely white

what do i do?

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
ah..someone please helpp i need to get this thing working again

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I don't understand why unlockers are in such a rush to upgrade. Ultrasnow isn't even out for ios 5, last time I checked.

gobble

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
I don't understand why anyone would do this if you're left with a teathered jailbreak. That seems unworkable for most people. What am I missing?

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
can anyone help me get past this error? i pretty much cant use the iphone at all since i cant activate it with an invalid sim card..

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
update: i got past the exploit failed error by restarting my computer and trying again...the jailbreak seems to go through successfully, but then after the initial apple logo, it goes into the spinning circle..and doesnt get out of it..its suck on that

please help!!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I just love the misinformation on this forum. Freaking dangerous stuff. My instructions are for mac users.

Get the latest redsn0w from the dev team here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5 it's linked to in update 13.

Build a custom firmware (5.0) with it. It won't add the bb update in this firmware it builds.

Get into dfu mode and restore with the no bb firmware file you just made.

When done, use redsn0w to jailbreak. Once that's done then just boot tethered so you can launch cydia. Install ultrasn0w. Reboot.

Use redsn0w again to just boot tethered.

Done.

You know after reading your post I went back and re-read all previous post. Beats me what mis-information you were talking about.

iPhone 7

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
I've been getting exploit failed on this computer for days. It works when I use a different computer.

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I've been getting exploit failed on this computer for days. It works when I use a different computer.

Other than this, you can also try to hold the home button a little longer in this step:

redsn0w-dfu-3.jpg

You can also try to download redsn0w latest version if you haven't done so.

Hope it helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.