Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:20 PM   #26
liavman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasman View Post
Well, at least for now thay have feedback... it's all over the internet
True... But individual feedback to individual instances and contexts is a treasure trove of info to tune and evolve it. May be SIRI is silently listening..Who knows.
liavman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:20 PM   #27
alectheking
macrumors 6502a

Too bad Siri hasn't been "unable to connect" for 70% of the time I've had my phone. Works pretty good when its working, sure, but I can't get mine to connect for **** right now.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:21 PM   #28
AppleMacDudeG4
macrumors member

Star wars

Has anyone told Siri "May the force be with you" and if so, what was the response?
AppleMacDudeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:27 PM   #29
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
What're you talking about? A tricorder definitely is a star trek thing.
A star trek thing that has exactly nothing to do with beaming someone up.
unlinked is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:30 PM   #30
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes, but it's not what they use to contact the ship. That would be a communicator (TOS) or combadge (TNG). Tricorders are used to scan things.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Oct 15, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:31 PM   #31
skellener
macrumors 65816

Ask Siri "Who run Bartertown?"
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:34 PM   #32
Hikkadwa
macrumors member

Question for Siri

When are Apple going to sort out the mess they've made of Keynote their flagship presentation software?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:38 PM   #33
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yar, but you would not use it to beam someone up.
s15119 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:41 PM   #34
bdkennedy1
macrumors 6502a

I hope you can elaborate on your opinion because it's the dumbest thing I've read all week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Tricorder? Uh, apparently Siri isn't a real trek fan.

----------

It was a joke. You must be a barrel of laughs around your friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
A star trek thing that has exactly nothing to do with beaming someone up.
bdkennedy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:44 PM   #35
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
I hope you can elaborate on your opinion because it's the dumbest thing I've read all week.

----------

It was a joke. You must be a barrel of laughs around your friends.

Likewise
unlinked is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:49 PM   #36
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
Uh, because a real trek fan would know the difference between a tricorder and a communicator?

The joke was obviously aimed at Star Trek fans. Unfortunately what they didn't realize is that we are an extremely nitpicky bunch.

Also you shouldn't take a sentence ending with a smilie as being super serious. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Oct 15, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:59 PM   #37
hansende
macrumors newbie

Siri has the same thinking ability as a rock. All of "her" spoken language is preprogrammed. Her attitude is preprogrammed. Humans are at least 1000 years from developing anything close to actual thinking. The human brain has evolved over millions of years.
hansende is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:00 PM   #38
Piggie
macrumors 601

Is it true that Siri cannot control the phone, cannot launch apps and cannot be used inside apps?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:02 PM   #39
quasinormal
Banned

Siri has a personality? I worried about geeks having unnatural relationships with their iPhones. I realise that this will be a mortal sin and that these perverts will burn in hell for all eternity, but shouldn't something be to stop this happening in the first place. There need to be laws enacted to prohibit this type of ungodly union.

Is there a gender setting for Siri so the sin is is not made even worse?
quasinormal is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:06 PM   #40
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes, but it's not what they use to contact the ship. That would be a communicator (TOS) or combadge (TNG). Tricorders are used to scan things.
Yeah, but tricorders don't have "airplane mode" either. It was a joke. If siri said "your communicator is in airplane mode" that would be way too generic a tech term and some people would actually get confused and think siri was actually telling them an error message. When you're making a joke for *extremely* broad audiences in a technical context then you have to make sure that your joke can't possibly be misinterpreted.
motulist is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:16 PM   #41
Michael Peck
macrumors newbie

Beam me up, Siri

Sorry, Captain, your TriCorder is in Airplane Mode.
--
Please remove your belt, shoes and Jacket, and empty your pockets.
--
WiFi or 3G?
--
Energizing...
--
Please install the latest version of iCloud and try again.
--
Michael Peck is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:18 PM   #42
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Well anyway, I wonder how Siri would respond if you said "Tea, Earl Gray, hot."?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:22 PM   #43
Lordskelic
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Lordskelic Send a message via Skype™ to Lordskelic
Quote:
No, they definitely shouldn't. Despite Cleverbot's name, it's actually dumb as a brick.
In regards to cleverbot, it is indeed, "as dumb as a brick".

With the release of Siri, I got interested in AI and chatbots so I did some
looking around, and after I tried dozens of bots, I finally found one that isn't completely stupid.
In fact, sometimes I forget I'm talking with a computer program.

Apple should totally hire the kid that made this so he can improve the personality side of Siri:

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/chatbot
Lordskelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:24 PM   #44
liavman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansende View Post
Siri has the same thinking ability as a rock. All of "her" spoken language is preprogrammed. Her attitude is preprogrammed. Humans are at least 1000 years from developing anything close to actual thinking. The human brain has evolved over millions of years.
And your point is...?
liavman is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:24 PM   #45
82times
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
I like the humor Apple gave Siri

Thumb resize.
This is great! Please consider submitting this to http://sirilikes.us/ (a tumblr I set up for this kind of stuff).
82times is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:25 PM   #46
liavman
macrumors 6502

How about this command to Siri: Clear your cache, Siri

Can someone try?
liavman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:28 PM   #47
mikerudolph22
macrumors member

First impression, pretty bad.

I was so excited to see how well this integrated into the iPhone since the app is pretty great. My first impression of Siri is pretty awful...I understand it's in "Beta" but during the release they said that's only because it isn't available in all languages. "Siri can only get better" I should sure hope so.

I don't have an accent - though I don't often spend time practicing non-regional diction.

Geofences:
NONE of the geofenced reminders I set worked. When I set a reminder "high priority" to "get fuel for my car" when I leave a certain address to test it out, the reminder NEVER came. "Remind me to pick up the groceries when I get home" - nothing. My address is set in preferences. When I say to "Remind me to pick up my suit when I leave here (and it finds my exact current location on the map)" - I get nothing. Yes, the location services are on in Reminders, and wifi is on and I have a GPS lock.

Siri wish list (or more aptly labeled "Why didn't you think of this list?":
- ME: "Create contact" - SIRI:"sorry I can't create contacts"

- ME: Remind me to ___ when I arrive at the National Cathedral in Washington DC; SIRI: "I don't know what you mean by "when I arrive at the national cathedral in washington dc" "You can be reminded at a time, or when you leave or arrive somewhere. When would you like me to remind you" (oh, is that right?)

- ME: "Remind me to pick up my tux when I leave Singleton Lodge." (actual Siri translation: "Remind me to pick up tux when you see me looking up women online.") WTF?!?

- ME: "Tweet that so far Siri is not that good.: SIRI: "Sorry Mike, I can't help you with Twitter." (so much for Twitter integration. Maybe it's too smart? Don't count on it.)

- ME: "Turn off Bluetooth." SIRI: "Sorry I don't understand 'Turn off Bluetooth'"
-ME: "Turn off Wi-Fi." SIRI: "I don't see any Wi-Fi hotspots. Sorry about that."
-ME: "Where am I now?" (I'm at my apartment with WiFi turned on). SIRI:"Here's your current location" (it puts a red pin as my current location 0.7 MILES away from there the BLUE CURRENT LOCATION DOT is on the map! GPS is locked to my location but Siri can't figure it out). 5 minutes later I try again, it figures out that I am now actually at home - and it doesn't remind me to blog that Siri Sucks. Too bad I'm already halfway through the review, so thanks anyway, Siri.

I have a lot of trouble believing these glowing reviews saying that Siri is blowing people away. This is nothing better than the free Siri app I've had for almost a year now.

Anyone on the fence about getting the 4S, I would strongly recommend against getting it unless you have the 3GS or lower. I had 3GS so it's still an upgrade for me, but Siri is nothing to write home about (unless it's a poor review). Just get the free Siri app - it does everything except the integration thing, which as you can see isn't that great.

Last edited by mikerudolph22; Oct 15, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
mikerudolph22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:38 PM   #48
farmboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Uh, because a real trek fan would know the difference between a tricorder and a communicator?

The joke was obviously aimed at Star Trek fans. Unfortunately what they didn't realize is that we are an extremely nitpicky bunch.

Also you shouldn't take a sentence ending with a smilie as being super serious. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
Not to quibble (or tribble for that matter), but the correct device would be the Transporter.
farmboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:39 PM   #49
mikerudolph22
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liavman View Post
How about this command to Siri: Clear your cache, Siri

Can someone try?
It just emptied my bank account!!!!! DUDE...

No it doesn't understand that. I don't know how to access the cache. Not sure if it even saves one.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:39 PM   #50
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerudolph22 View Post
"Siri can only get better" I should sure hope so.

Siri wish list (or more aptly labeled "Why didn't you think of this list?":
- ME: "Create contact" - SIRI:"sorry I can't create contacts"

<snip>

Siri is one of Apple's topmost major priorities right now. I've heard that out of ALL the project teams at Apple, right now the siri team has the highest number of people assigned to work on it. This is almost definitely just the very basic beginning for siri, and very soon siri will almost definitely be expanding it's capabilities. 3rd party app integration is a foregone conclusion, it's definitely coming, the only question is when.
motulist is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion