Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Sometimes I really have to laugh at the poor internet connections you Americans have to deal with. I feel sorry for you.

In my basement (!) in my house in a small town in Denmark I am getting a pretty consistent speed of 3 Mbit/sec both up and down with a ping of 80 ms on 3G.

In every other way, though, the United States is a far better place to be in terms of technology and internet services.

It's because of the technology Sprint uses. (CDMA)
Not all Americans have to deal with this issue.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Unscientific test in Colorado

The only iPhone 4S that wasn't mobbed by crowds of people was at the sprint store in Boulder, CO. I ran a little speed test. 3G seemed pretty snappy, with about 1.2Mbps down, don't remember what was the up speed.

Incidentally my iPad 3G appeared to of **** the bed in the same location ATT, perhaps due to all the activations.

Unscientific tests but interesting none the less.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't see how people are having problems with their iPhone 4S.

AT&T :

btw. Thats faster than that guys android using 4G on Sprint

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,391

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
I already posted this on another thread, but I got these last night. Not horrible. I've found Sprint's network to be very erratic so far. Right before I took these tests I was at like .5 mbps, then these, then like 1.3 mbps

img0118k.png

img0117y.png

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Peace said:
I don't see how people are having problems with their iPhone 4S.

AT&T :

btw. Thats faster than that guys android using 4G on Sprint

It's people with Sprint having speed issues. Of course AT&T is fast, they have always been the fastest carrier with the iPhone and now it supports their 4G(HSPA+). My iPhone 4 on AT&T gets 2.3-3mbs all day.

CRBly85

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The first thing I actually did yesterday was compare the speeds between my old iPhone 3GS on AT&T and my new iPhone 4s now on sprint. I was pulling about 1.3mbps on my 3GS and .19mps on my 4s. I tested again later in the evening on my 4s and got up to 1.2mbps but I'm back down to .3mbps just now. So it looks like sprint in general is going to be slower but I'll gladly take the extra savings on my monthly bill. I'm on wifi anyway 90% of the time

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

It's people with Sprint having speed issues. Of course AT&T is fast, they have always been the fastest carrier with the iPhone and now it supports their 4G(HSPA+). My iPhone 4 on AT&T gets 2.3-3mbs all day.

Yes. I know. Some people were implying it was the iPhone .

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
This happened to AT&T three years ago when they first got the iPhone, you would think that other networks would have learned from that experience right?

mrmoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
I have dropped every call I have made with the 4S - just switched from TMobile to Sprint. Not sure this is going to work out right now, even though they claim there is an outage in my area.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
It's not problem with an Iphone it's just SPRINT'S NETWORK IS SLOW.

I walked into Sprint store and wanted to install speedtest app on their Iphone 4S to see how fast their network is. Unfortunately you can't download apps to their demo units so salesperson offered me her android 3G phone to test Sprint's speed.

After I DLed speedtest app and ran it, it showed me how SLOW sprint's network really was. Download was 0.3mpbs and upload 0.27 mbps.

To compare I bench 8 mbps down and 5 up on my Samsung Galaxy S2 on ATT and 3.5 down and 3.0 up on my Iphone 4S Verizon

I actually feel sorry for existing Sprint users who had slow network before and now with additional huge data load that Iphone puts - whole sprint's network will be CRAWLING for everybody

Uh your verizon numbers aren't possible to be that high (you're above theoretical max, and WAY above many many nationwide tests), you sure you're testing correctly?

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
it amazes to see the supposed #1 country in the world.

How poor their infrastructure is, in norway/Sweden you easily get 7-8 mbps on 3g, and we also have 100/100 fiber fairly cheap

This was 0.18 mbps, how is that even workable.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
It's because of the technology Sprint uses. (CDMA)
Not all Americans have to deal with this issue.

Yes, we can use SuckT&T which has great theoretical speeds in the 5 places which get reliable consistent connectivity -- Texas specifically. The rest of us deal with dropped calls, missed calls, and tons of internet time outs.

HotApplePie

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
Sprint 3G Speeds

I live inside the Washington DC Beltway. We got two sprint phones last night. Speed was unimpressive and Siri couldn't contact the server from time to time. As of this evening things have improved to about 1.22Mbps-down 0.86Mbps-up.

I have the advantage of my test site being in my city, and while running around town I've noticed there are A LOT of places where my 3G logo is replaced with an O (I'm assuming this means no 3G, but I don't know what O actually means)

img0008l.png

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Sprint was really fast when I lived in a small town, but where I live now even their 4g service sucks. Tethering with my iPhone 4 was 3 times as fast :/

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
How are people doing with Sprint speeds in Chicago and the Chicago suburbs. Thinking of getting my wife one (I'm on AT&T). We all know speeds are very location specific (I rarely get over 1.0MB down on AT&T on my iPhone 4 and am often more like .6-.8).

As people complain about their speeds please let us know where you are. Thanks.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Really comes down to this

Verizon - Reliable and slow
AT&T - Fast but unreliable (yes, I know there are 4 areas in the USA which everyone says it's the best thing in the world)
Sprint - Cheap, slowest, and reliability between Vierzon and At&T

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Speeds here in Rancho Cucamonga on AT&T have been a little slow lately, but I'm still happy with it.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    434 KB · Views: 76

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
That's what happens when iPhone users have unlimited data :D

I'd totally abuse unlimited data. Wait, maybe everyone else is abusing it, and Sprint is throttling them?

----------

Speeds here in Rancho Cucamonga on AT&T have been a little slow lately, but I'm still happy with it.

That's pretty good compared to Time Warner Cable in my cousin's area.
And the upload speed is nice.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
After seeing the OKC Sprint iPhone speeds in the OP, I think I'll stick with Verizon after all. I only left Sprint in the first place to get the iPhone 4.

My epic and EVO both had great 3G downstream here but I see the iPhone has problems.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

I'm just going to put it out there. HSPA+ IS NOT 4G!!!! It's more like 3.5G. True 4G would be something like LTE.

In regards to the sprint thing. In Australia I'm on a HSPA+ Network on the 850MHz band that is incredibly robust. I regularly get 8Mbps down speeds. One of the other major mobile networks theoretically get's similar speeds (instead of the theoretical maximum of 21Mbps on the Telstra network, they have 14mbps), Problem being that these guys, Optus, have put too many people on their network without upgrading it.

Now in our biggest cities CBD there's a total blackspot for Optus. At the Melbourne Airport my brother and I both had our GS2's out, he kept getting network errors on his optus phone and I was getting great speeds.

Is it that sprint has too many people? Or is it some other problem.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
After I DLed speedtest app and ran it, it showed me how SLOW sprint's network really was. Download was 0.3mpbs and upload 0.27 mbps.

To compare I bench 8 mbps down and 5 up on my Samsung Galaxy S2 on ATT and 3.5 down and 3.0 up on my Iphone 4S Verizon

BINGO... Unless you are getting a HUGE discount or are in some super remote area that little "v" has better coverage, the best choice BY FAR, is the AT&T Network. This shows the speed is about 60-70% faster than little "v" and it allows for simultaneous data and voice (little "v"does not) and does not have the 160 character like little "v" These are HUGE differences that are noticeable almost every time you use the phone.

I continue to be baffled that people would choose anyone but AT&T at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.