Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Yes, we can use SuckT&T which has great theoretical speeds in the 5 places which get reliable consistent connectivity -- Texas specifically. The rest of us deal with dropped calls, missed calls, and tons of internet time outs.

I guess Los Angeles is one of those areas then. It's really good here.

----------

it amazes to see the supposed #1 country in the world.

How poor their infrastructure is, in norway/Sweden you easily get 7-8 mbps on 3g, and we also have 100/100 fiber fairly cheap

This was 0.18 mbps, how is that even workable.

In the U.S., there are way more people using smartphones, and they are all tethering.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Hahahaha. Who didn't see this coming?

If the dish isn't tasting right then Let's look at the recipe and see what the problem is.

Bad data speed recipe.
1. Take 3rd largest cell phone carrier with stocks at around $22 per share in 2007.
2. Make bad investment in Wimax only to realize its not the future of cell phone data.
3. Let stocks depreciate 1000% down to $2 per share.
4. Stop expanding network due to lack of cash flow and considerable drop in stock price.
5. Make your company "seem" more valuable than the 2 cell phone companies that are bigger and much more financially stable than you by offering unlimited data plans without throttling.
6. Use your last $20 billion in reserves to invest in iPhones rather than building up your network infrastructure.
7. Overload your already lower quality network infrastructure with a couple million new users all trying to take advantage of your unlimited data offerings.

Let simmer for a few months.

What do you get?

Millions of unhappy customers lol.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Sprint's network wasn't top notch to begin with.

Whatever, I just use random wifi networks everywhere on my iPod Touch with eWifi. There is always an unlocked router or one with a default password.

FREE faster-than-4G service!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
BINGO... Unless you are getting a HUGE discount or are in some super remote area that little "v" has better coverage, the best choice BY FAR, is the AT&T Network. This shows the speed is about 60-70% faster than little "v" and it allows for simultaneous data and voice (little "v"does not) and does not have the 160 character like little "v" These are HUGE differences that are noticeable almost every time you use the phone.

I continue to be baffled that people would choose anyone but AT&T at this point.

Because some people want a network that is always available. You folks who live in bumble-***** get great signal, us in urban areas AT&T is beyond awful.

Last night, in a bar my "great" at&t couldnt get signal until i manually switched it to edge, my verizon friends all had working 3g connections.

----------

I guess Los Angeles is one of those areas then. It's really good here.

----------

In the U.S., there are way more people using smartphones, and they are all tethering.

Funny, my LA friends report tons of missed calls and dropped calls. Glad it works for you.

Cully411

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Belfast
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm getting 4.5mb Down. 1.5 up on O2 in the uk! Delighted with the speed!!

erio

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2004
So Apple releases an iPhone with HSPA+ capability on two CDMA networks and one GSM. I don't see the logic. T-Mobile has HSPA+, why not them?

iPhone is a global phone, not just America :eek:

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can confirm this. I'm not even getting .25mbs on my Sprint 3G, and I'm in a big town where Sprint has 4G. I new it would be slow, but if this is what it's going to remain like I'll return this phone and stick with my iPhone 4 on AT&T. The upgrade hasn't even been that great. I'm over Siri, the camera is not night and day from my iPhone 4 camera, and I barely notice a speed difference in everyday uses.

Please post pics from your iPhones.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri

Siri has a lot of problems connecting for me too

HotApplePie

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
I live inside the Washington DC Beltway. We got two sprint phones last night. Speed was unimpressive and Siri couldn't contact the server from time to time. As of this evening things have improved to about 1.22Mbps-down 0.86Mbps-up.

I have the advantage of my test site being in my city, and while running around town I've noticed there are A LOT of places where my 3G logo is replaced with an O (I'm assuming this means no 3G, but I don't know what O actually means)

Also, by comparison my original iPad 3G is an AT&T model and gets comparable speeds:

img0046i.png

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

LA is just bad terrain and spread out awful for cell service. Im sure you can find a spot where each carrier doesn't get service and another one does. I know I've had service there and Tmobile and Verizon didn't.

alanyuan

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Sprint's network is so bad!

I was with AT&T for my iPhone 4 and switched to sprint for the unlimited plan for the 4S but i switched back because sprint's network was SO SLOW. MY GOD. theres a reason sprint offered unlimited, its because you'll end up less data after how slow it is!

Saberj

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
it amazes to see the supposed #1 country in the world.

How poor their infrastructure is, in norway/Sweden you easily get 7-8 mbps on 3g, and we also have 100/100 fiber fairly cheap

This was 0.18 mbps, how is that even workable.

Thanks to Siri, we can see that Norway is 125,021 sq mi.

Sweden is 173,860 sq mi.

The US is 3.719 million sq mi.

I think I can forgive them for having some shoddy infrastructure. That is a huge difference in land area to cover.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
This is typical Sprint "3G". I used to have Sprint and those were the speeds I usually got. There's a reason why it's unlimited and somewhat cheaper, the network sucks.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Sweden is 173,860 sq mi.

I think I can forgive them for having some shoddy infrastructure. That is a huge difference in land area to cover.

Australia is 7.6mil sq km (2.9mil sq mi), we have crap internet, but our government is spending 43billion AUD (43.6billion USD) on upgrading us to fibre.... For 20million people... We have nearly as much land mass and 1/15th of the population.... That's why australia has crap infrastructure.... Good HSPA+ speeds though :)

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I had the Evo 4G from June-December last year. I was very happy with the 3G speeds on Sprint back then. I can't help but think this is from the new influx of iPhones on the network.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
This kind of thing is incredibly difficult to peg at any point in time let alone a launch weekend, but for some more perspective, my Verizon iPhone 4 (from initial launch in February) got whipped consistently by my friend's iPhone 4S running on Sprint. I was getting around 1 Mbps per second consistently, give or take 250 Kbps, while my friend was getting 1.6 Mbps give or take about 100 Kbps. So there you go, another example.

Edit: Also, I used to have a Blackberry Curve 8330 running on Sprint and consistently got at least around 500 Kbps. I think patience is key here. There will be bugs for a bit, but they'll get worked out.

Antivirus

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Honestly I doubt this is because of the Iphone

I had sprint for years, even back when the Evo first came out and was never impressed with 3g speeds. Sprint just isnt that good.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Ummm don't worry that 160kbps connection is unlimited though!

Seriously people don't realize your network won't speed up just because of the phone. In fact your already sort of slow Sprint network will slow down a lot from the weight of the massive amount of iPhones being added to it.

Enjoy Sprint users my AT&T iPhone 4S only returned speeds of just over 6mbps down and 1.5 up earlier today. Ill try again in a minute and see what happens.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
gizmodo's survey is so unscientific people are testing configs that don't exist. That site is a joke.

Sprint users, welcome to the iPhone

-AT&T user

The irony being you have to say that with a post, because you can't get a phone call to last more than 2 seconds. ;-)

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011

I stuck with AT&T, and I'm getting 7-8 MB downloads in rural Texas. I also have an older Sprint aircard (soon to be retired) that gets, at best, .5 MB. I love being able to talk and Internet at same time. Used it twice today alone!

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
I have a Galaxy S2 with Sprint in addition to my iPhone (VZW). Speeds have been good, no problem with coverage whatsover. I"m in Northern CA.

This is much ado about nothing. Sprint is also in the process of upgrading their backhaul. Speeds are only going to get better. I don't know how much longer they'll be able to offer unlimited data, but I bet when they stop their packages will still be superior to ATT and VZW.

This is the problem with the internet, it's become a room full of complainers. YOu see enough you assume it's a widespread problem when nothing could be further from the truth.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland

Sweden is 173,860 sq mi.

Do you really think the size of your country is what matters?

United States 83 people per square mile
Norway 34 people per square mile
Sweden 54 people per square mile

Distribution is probably more important than density but much harder to sum up in a single number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.