Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
iPhone 4, iPod Touch 5, iPad Mini & iPad 2 or Newer Only
iOS 6 or Newer Only

iPhone 4
6.0.0 -> 6.1.2: YES, Untethered (Use evasi0n)
6.1.3: YES, Tethered (Use Redsn0w)
7.0.0 -> 7.0.3: NO

iPad 2 / iPhone 4S / iPad 3 / iPhone 5 / iPod Touch 5 / iPad Mini / iPad 4

6.0.0 -> 6.1.2: YES, Untethered (Use evasi0n)
6.1.3 -> 7.0.3: NO

iPhone 5S / iPhone 5C

7.0.0 -> 7.0.3: NO

FAQ

How much should I pay for a jailbreak?

Absolutely NOTHING. Anyone that is charging for a jailbreak, is NOT legit. Do NOT waste your money. The real jailbreaks have always been free. Please consider a donation to the developers for their efforts though. They spend countless hours and are not compensated.

What's an untethered jailbreak versus a tethered jailbreak?

An untethered jailbreak will apply the jailbreak automatically when the phone is restarted. A tethered jailbreak, will require the "just boot" function of redsn0w to be applied via a USB cable on a computer, every time an iOS device is restarted. Tethered jailbreaks are usually widely available soon after new firmware and device releases, whereas the untethered version takes the jailbreak developers some time to develop.

When will there be a jailbreak/untethered jailbreak available for my device?

No one knows, except for the jailbreak developers. There are a few out there on various teams and most have twitters and will sometimes give status updates. Once it's out, it will be posted here!

What should I use to jailbreak this beta iOS software?

Sorry, but due to the fact that only developers have access to this software, and because there are many beta versions before a final release, I will not be writing this guide to support beta software. When a new version of iOS is released, I will add it here, along with any jailbreak solutions when they arrive.

I have no SHSH blobs for my device, can I use my friends? Can I still downgrade?

Sorry, but no! No exceptions. If you have no blobs for a given firmware, you cannot downgrade to it.

If you have other questions, post them below and I will try to answer them, and then post them here.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
For us iPhone 4S owners, how long do you think we have to wait for a JB and Unlock?

Unlock may be a while ... newer base bands don't seem to receive much attention nowadays.

The JB is always a mystery, hopefully soon.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
nice thread.

cant wait for an untethered JB for iPhone 4.....any day now surely?!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for this thread! I'm eagerly awaiting the iPhone 4 iOS5 untethered jailbreak. I bookmarked this thread, and I hope the OP keeps it updated :)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Great thread, worthy of the top spot where it is seated currently. There will still be sixteen other directly related threads per day at least.. asking these questions, (because I am the most important person on MacRumors and my thread is different so I don't need to do a search first or try viewing any current discussions) but I'll be watching this one for the answers.

Thanks!:):p

Riptide62

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Excellent thread. Thank you.

I have a iPhone 3GS which I jailbroke once before using Redsnow. My 3GS was replaced by Apple last June in an out of warranty deal so I guess it would have a more recent Boot-ROM (is there any way to know?)

I recently restored my iPhone to try out the new features in iOS5.0 and really miss LockInfo (vastly superior) and BiteSMS (again, so much better in every way to the stock Messages app). I'd like to Jailbreak again for those apps and for SBSettings.

Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to know if I can have an untethered jailbreak until I actually jailbreak? I'd prefer to wait until there is a proven untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS on iOS5.0, but is that likely to happen given the emphasis on 4 and 4s iPhones?

Thanks to the regular posters on this forum who have made exploration of this device possible for all the countless owners that are less technically advanced like me.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Excellent thread. Thank you.

I have a iPhone 3GS which I jailbroke once before using Redsnow. My 3GS was replaced by Apple last June in an out of warranty deal so I guess it would have a more recent Boot-ROM (is there any way to know?)

I recently restored my iPhone to try out the new features in iOS5.0 and really miss LockInfo (vastly superior) and BiteSMS (again, so much better in every way to the stock Messages app). I'd like to Jailbreak again for those apps and for SBSettings.

Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to know if I can have an untethered jailbreak until I actually jailbreak? I'd prefer to wait until there is a proven untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS on iOS5.0, but is that likely to happen given the emphasis on 4 and 4s iPhones?

Thanks to the regular posters on this forum who have made exploration of this device possible for all the countless owners that are less technically advanced like me.

Check the FAQ above, there's a link for determining your boot-rom

Riptide62

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Thank you. I determined that I have the newer Boot-Rom.

I will await an untethered jailbreak.

Polo2883

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
I am hoping for jailbreak soon. It would make switching from Android to iOS much better

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
for what it's worth I sent a request to the mods. We could use it stickied for sure. Even though most people don't seem to bother with them. :rolleyes: I also think the hack section doesn't get the attention of some of the other forum sections. the number of multiple threads we have here is ridiculous.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
might want to add in there that the ipad 2 has untethered for 4.3.3

Ipad has it's one hack section as well as Ipod and Apple TV. Not all of us a versed on all Apple products. people are better off getting info in the appropriate sections. of course this is my opinion the OP might agree. but if that's the case all JB devices should be added.

shortys408

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2006
Ipad has it's one hack section as well as Ipod and Apple TV. Not all of us a versed on all Apple products. people are better off getting info in the appropriate sections. of course this is my opinion the OP might agree. but if that's the case all JB devices should be added.

ipad is up there, and it says there is no jb which is not true.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
might want to add in there that the ipad 2 has untethered for 4.3.3

ipad is up there, and it says there is no jb which is not true.

I edited that to make it more clear as to the state of JB for these devices. Instead of putting iPad 2/iPhone 4S together I separated them.

Thanks!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for updating! I can't believe the mods un-stickied this. At least for the time being (as everyone is waiting for stable untethered iOS5 jailbreaks), this kind of thread is incredibly helpful.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Okay folks, gave it a major overhaul, it should be more accurate, detailed, ect. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.