Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

"Off Contract" AT&T iPhone 4Ss Already Come Unlocked

For those awaiting an unlocked iPhone 4S, it seems that Apple is already selling them at retail stores as simply "Off Contract" devices. "Off Contract" devices are sold at full retail price and don't lock you into a contract with AT&T. The prices for these models are $649, $749 and $849 for the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB iPhone 4S models.

The finding was noted by 9to5Mac and had also been discussed in the MacRumors forums where multiple users noticed that iTunes informed them of the "Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked" message from iTunes:
Quote:
I really have no idea. Part of me thinks it was some kind of glitch. The only thing I can think of is that a paid full price and didn't extend my contract. I ordered through Apple too. I wish there was a way I could confirm it, but I don't have any T Mobile or foreign sims laying around lol - BFW122083
Quote:
The same thing appeared on mine when I did a restore... I am wondering if it came like this from the factory because I paid the full $849.99 for a 64 GB because my AT&T contract was not eligible for an upgrade...- mjcxp
The common thread was that they were purchased as off contract devices. Developer @stroughtonsmith has since verified this by purchasing one himself.

Meanwhile, it seems Sprint iPhone 4Ss are also come GSM unlocked according to @gruber who was able to successfully use a Canadian SIM card in his Sprint iPhone 4S. However, Sprint has promised to lock them at a later date.

Article Link: "Off Contract" AT&T iPhone 4Ss Already Come Unlocked
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:51 PM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Awesome. I wish they did that where I lived
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
those retail prices sure are expensive.. just get an iPad. If you need a new phone, wait for your contract, and get a new one, or pay Apple the $199 for the OOW fee. but $649-$849 is absurd.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

I'm more thrown that someone shelled out $849 to upgrade because their old device was still under the terms of the contract subsidy.

It would have been several hundred cheaper to break your contract and switch carriers... and this person is probably using the iPhone 4.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't have $500 to take a match too.
MacAddict1978 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Awesome. I wish they did that where I lived
They do. All iPhones sold through Vodafone, Gen-i or Apple NZ are unlocked.
Nermal is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:54 PM   #6
AmbiguousNinja
macrumors regular

Quote:
those retail prices sure are expensive.. just get an iPad. If you need a new phone, wait for your contract, and get a new one, or pay Apple the $199 for the OOW fee. but $649-$849 is absurd.
If you only need a $20 plan per month for your iPhone and you buy the cheapest unlocked iPhone, you save about $1000 in 3 years. It really depends on what you need in a plan, data, minutes or to save money
AmbiguousNinja is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Unlocked CDMA?

How does this work for CDMA networks? With GSM you just put in the SIM but how do you get the unlocked phone on a different CDMA network?
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:57 PM   #8
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Doesn't look like they will sell iPhones with the CDMA side unlocked. Only gsm unlocked and my guess is the CDMA side doesn't work on these. Loving my sprint iPhone though. Working great and here's to hoping the gsm side stays unlocked.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:57 PM   #9
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
How does this work for CDMA networks? With GSM you just put in the SIM but how do you get the unlocked phone on a different CDMA network?
sorry, GSM unlocked. I don't know if there's such a thing as CDMA unlocked.

arn
arn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:57 PM   #10
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Paying $XXX a month on a contract is even more absurd. You end up having to pay more because it doesn't occur to you that your going to be paying for your iPhone (and then some) over 2 years, rather than giving them the money upfront It may make sense to some who spend $50 or more on their phone a month, but as someone else said, if you only spend $20 a month on it you'll save a lot.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
They do. All iPhones sold through Vodafone, Gen-i or Apple NZ are unlocked.
Yeah but Apple only sells the 8GB one.
mrsir2009 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:58 PM   #11
h0vsepian
macrumors newbie

Great timing! I'm leaving to the US in about 6 hours...hope I can find me one of these
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:59 PM   #12
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Wow nice! I hope AT&T automatically unlocks iPhones as contracts expire!
wordoflife is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:01 PM   #13
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Paying $XXX a month on a contract is even more absurd. You end up having to pay more because it doesn't occur to you that your going to be paying for your iPhone (and then some) over 2 years, rather than giving them the money upfront It may make sense to some who spend $50 or more on their phone a month, but as someone else said, if you only spend $20 a month on it you'll save a lot.

----------

Maybe it's us only, but service costs the same in and out of contract.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:01 PM   #14
DrFillster
macrumors member

Okay, I'll bite. Please walk me through what I should do.
1. buy unlocked iphone.
2. ???
3. ???

Seriously, I can take the upfront hit. Where do I go from there?

Quote:

----------

Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:02 PM   #15
applefan27073
macrumors member

Prices sooooo much different to Australia!

In Australia we have always been able to purchase unlocked phones - and it is the only way to do it via the Apple Online Store. Have a look at the Australian prices for the iPhone 4S...

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/hom...co=MjU1NTYxODM

it is shocking!!

16 GB - $799
32 GB - $899
64 GB - $999

Only reason I am complaining is due to the average currency exchange at the moment!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:03 PM   #16
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Does anyone know if AT&T will unlock off contract iPhones such as my 3GS?
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:03 PM   #17
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFillster View Post
1. buy unlocked iphone.
2. ???
3. ???

My opinion, if you're going to have phone service anyways. Might as well be under contract. You can always sell iPhone and break even if you have to pay etf.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:04 PM   #18
Maximillian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
I'm more thrown that someone shelled out $849 to upgrade because their old device was still under the terms of the contract subsidy.

It would have been several hundred cheaper to break your contract and switch carriers... and this person is probably using the iPhone 4.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't have $500 to take a match too.
Break my contract and lose my unlimited data and $5 texting plan? Hell no.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Bobtodd
macrumors member

yes you can buy unlocked 4s from any apple store as you can an unlocked 3gs just like you could before the 4s came out.
Bobtodd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:05 PM   #20
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Oh yeah, call you from my iPad
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:06 PM   #21
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

1. buy unlocked iphone.
2. buy SIM card from your desired carrier and install it in your iPhone
3. Sign up to a month-to-month plan or buy text/data/voicecall value packs.

mrsir2009 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:10 PM   #22
albert1028
macrumors 6502

This is best way, what is the Model of the "unlocked phones" cause aren't those sold as unlocked iphones throughout the world have different model #s (for the parts of the world that have locked iphones)?
albert1028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:11 PM   #23
PigsOnTheWing
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The prices for these models are $649, $749 and $849 for the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB iPhone 4S models.
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the phones under contract at $199, $299, or $399, and then pay the $325 to break your contract 31 days out, resulting in an end cost of $524, $624, or $724?
PigsOnTheWing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:12 PM   #24
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
The US CDMA system use not support device unlocking.

In some countries like China that have CDMA, they have a SIM-like chip that's called the RUIM (basically it's a SIM card) that stores your CDMA information and lets you move around like other GSM subscribers. Note this does not let you move that RUIM to a GSM device, only to other CDMA devices.

I imagine if Apple starts selling CDMA iPhones in China, they would have to repurpose the SIM card slot as a RUIM slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigsOnTheWing View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the phones under contract at $199, $299, or $399, and then pay the $325 to break your contract 31 days out, resulting in an end cost of $524, $624, or $724?
No, because you bought as a locked phone, it will stay locked even if you cancel service.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:18 PM   #25
PigsOnTheWing
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
No, because you bought as a locked phone, it will stay locked even if you cancel service.
But jailbreaking and unlocking are easy to do on your own.
PigsOnTheWing is offline   -4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion