Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruylopez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Hi everyone. Recent convert to an ATT iPhone 4S, who came over from a very old, very slow Android phone (myTouch 3g). Overall, I'm extremely happy with the device, but there is one area where so far, my old Android phone was far superior.

It's the alarm clock. I was surprised this morning when it was actually pretty quiet, and went off at the same level as the ringer. This seems to me like bad design. On my old phone, the alarms not only had a separate set of available tones (which were generally louder and more alarming than the ringtones; I've woken up to a blaring rooster for the last two years, which was quiet effective), but they also had their own volume control. That is, I could leave my phone on vibrate, but that rooster would still blare away in the morning, as it was on a separate volume control.

With my iPhone now, it seems I have no choice if I want to the alarm to be loud but to turn my ringer all the way up. This means if anyone texts or calls me while I'm asleep, I'm doomed to hear it as well. I'm pretty unhappy with this. Not only do I want access to the "alarm" set of tones that are available in iOS for notifications, but I desperately want a separate set of volume sliders for the alarm clock and everything else, so I can avoid being disturbed by late night texts while still trusting that the thing will wake me up.

I can't figure out a solution just playing with the thing, so I thought I'd ask this excellent forum. Can anyone solve this issue? Is there an app, or a setting I'm missing? Or is it time to go back to having a real alarm clock?

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Hi everyone. Recent convert to an ATT iPhone 4S, who came over from a very old, very slow Android phone (myTouch 3g). Overall, I'm extremely happy with the device, but there is one area where so far, my old Android phone was far superior.

It's the alarm clock. I was surprised this morning when it was actually pretty quiet, and went off at the same level as the ringer. This seems to me like bad design. On my old phone, the alarms not only had a separate set of available tones (which were generally louder and more alarming than the ringtones; I've woken up to a blaring rooster for the last two years, which was quiet effective), but they also had their own volume control. That is, I could leave my phone on vibrate, but that rooster would still blare away in the morning, as it was on a separate volume control.

With my iPhone now, it seems I have no choice if I want to the alarm to be loud but to turn my ringer all the way up. This means if anyone texts or calls me while I'm asleep, I'm doomed to hear it as well. I'm pretty unhappy with this. Not only do I want access to the "alarm" set of tones that are available in iOS for notifications, but I desperately want a separate set of volume sliders for the alarm clock and everything else, so I can avoid being disturbed by late night texts while still trusting that the thing will wake me up.

I can't figure out a solution just playing with the thing, so I thought I'd ask this excellent forum. Can anyone solve this issue? Is there an app, or a setting I'm missing? Or is it time to go back to having a real alarm clock?

Put your volume all the way up before you go to sleep and switch the little switcher on top of the volume keys , you phone will be on vibrate and the alarm will go off trust me :)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yes, ringer and alert use the same volume. I make sure to flick the Mute switch to Silent at night, alarm still comes through audibly but I just get the "Buzz" (vibrate mode) for texts, calls, and emails.

ruylopez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Put your volume all the way up before you go to sleep and switch the little switcher on top of the volume keys , you phone will be on vibrate and the alarm will go off trust me :)

Thanks! Problem solved. :)

shrdknight

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
ive tried using the mute switch but my alerts still come through silent. am i missing something :(

elpaco

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
The problem still persists and the solution in the original post is desired! My wish is the opposite - I want the alarm to be set low, as not to wake my spouse, but at the same time I'd like the ringer on loud, so I may hear calls from my pocket daytime. This is not something you can fix by flicking the silence button !!

ManofMunster

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
This is very annoying. I don't want to have to think about changing settings on my phone as I plonk into bed every night. The whole concept behind a repeat alarm is that you don't have to remember to change stuff as you trundle bleary eyed into bed.

Poor design. Just takes another setting. Sort it out, Apple people.

darelldd

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Sacramento Valley
Agreed that this is an over-site. While I can fully imagine (and see here) that some folks don't care much, I can't imagine anybody who would actually want the ringer volume tied to the clock's alarm volume. And if they did, then include a check box to tie them together if desired. But man... these things need to at least optionally be separately set. There are other volumes that aren't tied to the ringer... why not the alarm?

- Darell

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Nope! Notifications is still Apple's weak point compare to my old Blackberry. Apple did a little but it still does not compare.

Still not a notification LED but then again most Apple diehards would not like it even if you could turn it off. But then they said they would never accept a phone with a larger screen! LOL!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Notifications is still Apple's weak point compare to my old Blackberry.
Audio, vibration and LED, sure but I don't recall any of my BB's having badges, banners, etc. Profiles were very useful but they were tedious to set up. As always, pros and cons.

Still not a notification LED but then again most Apple diehards would not like it even if you could turn it off. But then they said they would never accept a phone with a larger screen! LOL!
Apple users are a very large group and they're not homogeneous. They have varying preferences.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Audio, vibration and LED, sure but I don't recall any of my BB's having badges, banners, etc. Profiles were very useful but they were tedious to set up. As always, pros and cons.

Apple users are a very large group and they're not homogeneous. They have varying preferences.

I will take tedious any day vs impossible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.