Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBuzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I wanted to get this stock footage pack (http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-186/Explosions-cln--FXhome-Stock-Footage/Detail) for my friend who is into making movies. I was wondering if the pack was compatible with iMovie.

The link says that the footage is in NTSC and PAL formats but I don't really know what that means. Can iMovie use that format? And would the images remain pre-keyed (I assume that they are already pre-keyed)?

Thanks for helping this newb!

Nov 28, 2010
located
NTSC is the broadcast system for Standard Definition TV in the USA and Japan. PAL is the broadcast system for Standard Definition TV in the rest of the world, with a few exceptions.

Both formats will work in iMovie, including the HD footage. But maybe ask the company what file format/container and codec they use to store the video, as iMovie does not take every damn file, thus maybe some transcoding is required.
iMovie takes .mov files using the DV and Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) without problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.