Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone joe

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
NY
Why after syncing do I have two photo albums with the same photos in them? One is the photo library the other is the folder I sync with from my hard drive. Thanks in advance for your help.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Did you manage to sort this out?
I,m having the same problem and its really annoying as it won,t go away.Whats the use of duplicate folders.Its only happenned since OS5 upgrade:mad:

shadedred

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
Why after syncing do I have two photo albums with the same photos in them? One is the photo library the other is the folder I sync with from my hard drive. Thanks in advance for your help.

Same here, just noticed that... happened after syncing a selected folder...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Guys, Photo Library is just a name for ALL your photos…like the Library in iTunes. It's not a folder and it's not duplicates.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

They are duplicates from the photo file from my pc. I have photo library with 57 photos in and my synced photo file from my PC with 57 photos in. Both the same. If I untick sync in iTunes it removes both photo library and my photo album and I'm left with nothing. If I tick the box in iTunes again I get the 2 duplicate files back again. Can someone shed any light on this as its crazy having duplicate files on my limited amount of room left on my 8GB 3GS.
Many thanks.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

No it's iTunes sync not stream and it's getting on my nerves too. Never happened with 4.3.5.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK

Yes me too I hope some expert can give us the definitive answer.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK

It happened on my wife's iPhone 4 when I upgraded it to OS 5 but not on my daughters iPhone 4S. She says she's only got photo library with her synced PC photos in. More confused now. I'm wondering if it's the latest iTunes that's doing it and not the OS 5?
It's all puzzling :((

Solange82200

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
Its a glitch. I have it too. Its been posted on the apple support forums, its probably not going to get fixed till the next ios update. Its definitely there though, its not just that people dont understand what the photostream is. Everyone try and see, sync an album from your computer to your iphone using Itunes, and it creates two folders of the exact same contents.

As a workaround, instead of syncing the pictures I want through itunes, i installed Icloud helper onto my laptop, and it creates a folder called Upload. I put the pictures I want on my iphone in there, and then they appear on my photostream in my phone. From my phone I can go in and save them directly to my camera roll. Then I can create an album through the phone and transfer the pics from my camera roll into an album. The only thing that sucks is that if I delete the pictures from the camera roll, they also delete from whatever album i put them in. I dont get that, but maybe its by design...

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK

So no further then. In camera roll delete to other folder and still duplicated and if you delete then all is gone. This all seems crazy. I hope they sort it out in an OS 5 update.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Got round this problem today by downloading an App from itunes called "Photosafe".
Its a password protected album where you can store all your photos.You can import from your normal photo library into this App.Like me i then deleted my "Duplicate" photo libraries and then all your pics stay in the App and all your photo library ones are deleted.I found it easier this way than having 2 identical files with photos in.I only have 57 photos at the moment so its no hard work but at least you can have just 1 album of photos and not another duplicate albeit password protected which is no harm.
Maybe this can help some of you until OS 5 gets sorted out.

hibanzai

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
must be a bug, thought I did something wrong with iTunes. Hateful thing. Is there an app to drag and drop to iPhone, or do I have to wait for a jailbreak for that?

Darchy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
i may have the answer to ur qns:

Importing photos to your computer

On iPhone and iPod touch using iOS 5, all synced photos will appear in a unified category called Photo Library. Photos are not duplicated; this is a way to view all synced albums in one place. You can also tap a specific album beneath Photo Library see individual albums.

source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.