Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booyahbooyah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hope someone at Apple is reading.

I tried to post this on the Apple discussions site on apple.com, but that site is basically unusable (instead of a text area box, I get a never-ending spinning wheel) -- I'm a Mac newbie, and am getting frustrated with these issues.

I recently bought a MacBook Air (mid-2011 model) with Lion (10.7) installed. After each time I put it to sleep and awoke it, it would get on to my wireless network immediately, but the network connection would take about 7 minutes to become usable (i.e., it would take about 7 minutes before actual browsing would happen).

The 10.7.2 update seemed to fix that. It took no time to get on to the network and start using it (just like my iPad).

However, post 10.7.2, there was another update released involving firmware and the Lion Recovery Utility and a couple of other things. After that update, things have gone downhill again, and it takes about 7 minutes to start using the wireless network again.

People at Apple -- please release a fix for this.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
What are your network protection settings? I had to turn my router encryption off and set up an access list to get the Air working properly on it. Bit of a pain, but it works flawlessly now.

kp416

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
What are your network protection settings? I had to turn my router encryption off and set up an access list to get the Air working properly on it. Bit of a pain, but it works flawlessly now.
That doesn't sound right. You had to remove security to get the wireless to work?

I am pretty frustrated that the only devices having problems with wireless in my house are the two MBA's. Removing the security from the wireless is not a solution to me.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
That doesn't sound right. You had to remove security to get the wireless to work?

I am pretty frustrated that the only devices having problems with wireless in my house are the two MBA's. Removing the security from the wireless is not a solution to me.

Do you have a time machine backup? Have you tried rolling back to before the update?

litchblade

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
Hey,

I still got the same issue, and I hate it. Sometimes when I wake my MBA up from sleep mode it goes directly into the wireless network, sometimes I have to deactivate it and activate it again to get the wireless network work.

kp416

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Do you have a time machine backup? Have you tried rolling back to before the update?
I do not have a time machine backup. While I don't have any scientific proof I do feel the wireless is much worse since the update. I have to disable and enable to get it to work. Meanwhile my wife's Windows 7 machine never drops and get excellent speeds. Tonight I will compare network speed to see if it is speed as well as the dropping of the network.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I never said that it was right, but it worked for me. It's not like my WiFi is totally unsecured though, there's an access list, so only certain MAC addresses can access the router.

I realise it's not a solution, but it seemed to me to be the only way to get the Air working at anything close to the speed of the other computers on my network.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I was just going to post my own separate thread about this

I purchased a 13'' Macbook Air in July and EVERY time i turn it on or open it up from sleep the WiFi doesnt seem to catch

Sometimes ill be browsing youtube and i go to click the next video and the WiFi is disconnecting and connecting.

I have a 2 year old i5 gateway that has no problem connecting to wifi same goes for my iphone 4 and ipad 2

This macbook is a dream to use besides this issue but every day my frustration is building up to the point where i dont want to use the machine anymore

I hope to god apple is reading this bc this is garbage. I am an Apple supporter and an unbiased tech-geek who wants working products. This is the most important aspect of a laptop WiFi and its not working properly.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
But seconds

Thankfully I do not have this problem, but can provide some context.

In testing a black MacBook, being of course several years old, my count is roughly two seconds from the time I open the lid to wake it from sleep until it has acquired a full signal from a home router.

2 seconds.

The only complaint I have in relation to wi-fi is occasionally, such as at a hotel with with various wi-fi signals in the area, both inside and outside the property, that on waking the last wi-fi signal used will not be reestablished, but another chosen. Seems to me it should remember where it was last, and stay there unless told otherwise.

Anyway, I consider a few seconds the norm to acquire a signal. Anything much longer than that is an issue -- particularly with a new computer. And from Apple no less!

SpeedDemon

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2004
I've been having the same issue with my 2011 Air. All of my other computers that are on the WiFi network have nor problems but Air disconnects when it is woken up and then seems to never connect. I have to restart the computer every time I want it to connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.