Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_white_side_shot.jpg

Apple today announced that opening weekend sales of the iPhone 4S topped four million units, easily surpassing the 1.7 million iPhone 4 units sold during that device's debut weekend last year.
"iPhone 4S is off to a great start with more than four million sold in its first weekend--the most ever for a phone and more than double the iPhone 4 launch during its first three days," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "iPhone 4S is a hit with customers around the world, and together with iOS 5 and iCloud, is the best iPhone ever."
Apple also announced that more than 25 million users have downloaded iOS 5, which was released last Wednesday for pre-iPhone 4S devices. In addition, over 20 million users have created iCloud accounts.

The iPhone 4S debuted in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, and the device is set to launch in an additional 22 countries on October 28th. Apple expects the iPhone 4S to be available in over 70 countries by the end of the year.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Sales Top 4 Million as 25 Million Users Move to iOS 5

dlowings

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
iOS 5 on my original ipad was a BAD move... The thing is slower than all get out now... I'll bet it works great with the faster CPU but it dogs down the older stuff...

IMO

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
And they would sell another 4 million units if they kept their damn stores stocked! It's ridiculous how unlocked iPhones can only be purchased through the Apple store... instead of walking to a local retailer, I'm now resigned to waiting at least 2-3 weeks for the initial rush to die down.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
In addition to record sales, the Apple store I walked by Sunday still had phones for sale in the late afternoon. I remember the 3G and 3GS days where they'd sell out by 10 AM each morning.

Apple has apparently ramped up their production massively over the last few years.

(Or, heck, perhaps they really did start making the 4S back in May and have just been using the extra months to stockpile, rather than spending it on extra design time.)

Mr. Pezman

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
iOS 5 on my original ipad was a BAD move... The thing is slower than all get out now... I'll bet it works great with the faster CPU but it dogs down the older stuff...

IMO

Works great on my original iPad. Even faster than before! Are you sure you have an iPad and not a TouchPad?

Last edited:

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
In addition to record sales, the Apple store I walked by Sunday still had phones for sale in the late afternoon. I remember the 3G and 3GS days where they'd sell out by 10 AM each morning.

Apple has apparently ramped up their production massively over the last few years.

(Or, heck, perhaps they really did start making the 4S back in May and have just been using the extra months to stockpile, rather than spending it on extra design time.)

I don't think they had the iOS 5 GM finished by then to install it on their stockpiled units.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Only 25 million upgraded to iOS 5? In the scheme of things is that a small number (compared to the number of eligeble iOS devices)?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm responsible for 2 of those myself. Great phone even though Siri could have been better, but again, I was expecting this. (If you're going to downrank me, know that I have played with it extensively over the weekend before reaching the conclusion that my opinion about it was correct. It has many issues that make it innefficient and in some cases completely broken).

iOS 5 was plenty fine on my 3GS for the 2 days prior to getting my 4S.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK

IMO

Do a wipe and reinstall and restore from scratch.

iPhone 3GS users are noticing small, but noticeable performance improvements, from iOS 5. The iPad has the same amount of memory, but a faster CPU/GPU (same as the iPhone 4) than the iPhone 3GS.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Probably a little of both actually. The can manufacture the phones early and just wait for flash the updated OS on it late in the game.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I wonder. Is there ever a bad time to buy Apple shares?

These numbers are scarily big. You'd have to think the iPhone must be approaching 'saturation', that its market percentage won't grow too much more and the majority of sales will be just users upgrading. And then you see results like this, and.. maybe not!

And then you still have the iPad, which is probably the Apple device with the most growth potential. If anything, I reckon the Apple shares are still undervalued.

Saneless

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Not that surprising on the sales. The 3GS was a massive launch and that's a ton of upgrades. Also there's probably still quite a few people who had a 3G and were waiting for Verizon to get it.. then when V didn't get it until February, thought there'd be a new one in June, and then got one in October.

And then of course there's always people who had to upgrade even after just getting the 4.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Only 25 million upgraded to iOS 5? In the scheme of things is that a small number (compared to the number of eligeble iOS devices)?

The vast majority of iOS users don't sit by their computers waiting for updates like us. 25 million is a LOT of early adopters.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't think they had the iOS 5 GM finished by then to install it on their stockpiled units.

They can make them and install the software later.

I'm pretty sure they always start making the phones earlier than the GM software is ready. It's just that it's usually by a few weeks, not a few months.

But it'd work the same way.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
I forget the stats, but I remember reading that a relative small number of people ever update their iDevice with a newer than the shipping OS.

That may obviously change with over-the-air delivery of updates with iOS 5.

It was about 50%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.