Apple to Stick with Samsung for A6 Chip Production After All? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Stick with Samsung for A6 Chip Production After All?

Last month, word surfaced that Apple had signed on with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) for production of the next-generation A6 and A7 chips destined for future iOS devices. Samsung has been Apple's manufacturing partner for the A4 and A5 chips, but several reports have been claiming that Apple has been trying to shift to TSMC in part because of strained relations between Apple and Samsung over intellectual property issues.

The Korea Times now reports that Apple will indeed primarily be sticking with Samsung for A6 production.
Quote:
"Apple has been in talks with Samsung over shipment of its A6 quad-core mobile processor (AP) chips to be used in the next iPhone. It appears that Apple clearly has concluded that Samsung remains a critical business partner," an executive from an Apple parts supplier based in Korea said on condition of anonymity.

He said that Samsung has been increasing the output of the Apple-designed A6 chips in its manufacturing plant in Austin, Texas.
The apparent shift back to Samsung for the A6 is said to be tied to TSMC having issues with its production process, with Apple understandably requiring a stable component supplier as it looks toward its next-generation iOS devices.
Quote:
"The manufacturing process at TSMC hasn't been stabilized. Considering Apple's previous patterns of adopting qualified technologies, Apple isn't taking risks. Samsung offers better pricing and capacity commitment for the A6 mobile APs," said an official from a different Apple supplier.
The report also touches on the next-generation iPhone even as the iPhone 4S is only just hitting the market, reviving claims of a larger-screened "iPhone 5" design with a 4-inch display carrying the same resolution as the current iPhone.

Article Link: Apple to Stick with Samsung for A6 Chip Production After All?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Warbrain
macrumors 603

This isn't surprising. Apple was probably looking for a little bit more freedom but the way Samsung is built and operated the lawsuits with the mobile side don't really affect the chip side.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
seanwes
macrumors newbie

When will people let the "bigger screen" rumor die? There's a reason why it is the size it is and it shouldn't change—this is why. It's not a tablet and bigger isn't always better.
seanwes is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4
*LTD*
Banned

Suppliers are suppliers.

And Apple will continue the lawsuits against Samsung on the mobile front, and Samsung will just roll over and continue to serve Apple's needs.

Last edited by *LTD*; Oct 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
*LTD* is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:04 AM   #5
TallGuy1970
macrumors 6502

I'm just projecting into the future....

An A6 quad-core processor, LTE, and a 4-inch screen on the next iPhone? There's going to have to be some major battery upgrades on that phone!
TallGuy1970 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Michael73
macrumors 6502a

Blows my mind...a quad core chip in a phone!

Make me wonder how Apple and all the developers out there will harness that kind of craziness?!?
2TB TC, 64GB iPad / 5S / 4S, Drobo 5D, 3 x TV
Michael73 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:05 AM   #7
lehite
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwes View Post
When will people let the "bigger screen" rumor die? There's a reason why it is the size it is and it shouldn't change—this is why. It's not a tablet and bigger isn't always better.
That guy must have rather small hands. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited by lehite; Oct 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
lehite is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:05 AM   #8
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The report also touches on the next-generation iPhone even as the iPhone 4S is only just hitting the market, reviving claims of a larger-screened "iPhone 5" design with a 4-inch display carrying the same resolution as the current iPhone.
Start the haters complaining about having the same resolution on a bigger screen.

But then again, if Apple increased the resolution too, they'll complain about how developers would have to update their graphics.

What can I say? Haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy1970 View Post
An A6 quad-core processor, LTE, and a 4-inch screen on the next iPhone? There's going to have to be some major battery upgrades on that phone!
If the bigger screen requires a longer and/or wider case, Apple could put in a larger battery. I wonder which component drains the battery the fastest.
guzhogi is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:05 AM   #9
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Samsung is a big corporation. I'm sure their semiconductor business will be fine with Apple, and they will be happy... Obviously not the mobile copycat division of Sammy.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:07 AM   #10
kasei
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I totally agree. People will not let this rumor nor the iPhone 5 die.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:08 AM   #11
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Really? That's your evidence? One man's anecdote. People have different sized hands, y'know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasei View Post
As opposed to what? No more iPhones? "They'll languish with the iPhone 4s forever! MUAAHAHHA!"
CJM is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:09 AM   #12
DESNOS
Banned

Any possibility that Samsung, who pretty much owns south Korea, could have seeded this story to the press? I find the source rather suspect.
DESNOS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
So let's just clarify this can we please?

You are publicly announcing you will not buy any future Apple phones if they increase the size of the current screen as you disagree with it being any bigger?

Just to clear this up.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:10 AM   #14
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Really? That's your evidence? One man's anecdote. People have different sized hands, y'know.
The bigger the hands the bigger the phone.
mr.steevo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

I was looking forward to seeing how the Apple/TSMC thing was going to work out (and I imagine they'll keep trying for the A7 or even late-cycle A6), but if this means I get an A6 in my iPad 3 in April instead of an A5 in my iPad 3 in July, I'll take it.
swarmster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:10 AM   #16
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasei View Post
The iPhone 5 rumors have barely started. The iPad 3 rumors should be taking center stage soon.
AppleScruff1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Johnner1999
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Johnner1999
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

The iPhone 5 will be free as a bundle with the PowerBook G5 ;-)
Johnner1999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 AM   #18
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

I'm still not sure that A6 will be quad core given the low likelihood the increased IPC will help many mobile applications.

Still, if they are going with Samsung, I doubt they had ever fully committed to TSMC. It's not as simple as switching suppliers when you're trying to build a customer processor specific to a company's process. Samsung's 28nm process is not TSMC's process.

However, given TSMC's 28nm node problems, it makes a lot of sense for Apple to avoid that for two reasons: the first is their own steady supply of A6 chips, and the second is their component suppliers' parts. If apple is foaming at the mouth to get those 28nm LTE all-in-one radios from Qualcomm next year, their own A6 stealing production capacity from Qualcomm at TSMC is not something they want to do.

Samsung has definitely demonstrated better fab competency as of late. Their just announced Exynos 4212 (32nm) is a beast and saves quite a bit of power compared to the 4210.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:14 AM   #19
jav6454
macrumors G5

Please Apple, please stay away from TSMC
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehite View Post
That guy must have rather small hands.
Or maybe he actually gets female attention.
Kaibelf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:14 AM   #21
toddybody

Quote:
All it proves is that the author has small hands. Your point again?
toddybody is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:18 AM   #22
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

wtf sometimes on this board. If your world is changed by the difference of a 3.8" screen to a 4" screen on your telephone... you must live in a very very small world.
ThunderSkunk is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:20 AM   #23
DESNOS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddybody View Post
All it proves is that the author has small hands. Your point again?
Many people have small hands. Women tend to have smaller hands too. I doubt they'd make a phone with a larger screen.
DESNOS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:22 AM   #24
axual
macrumors regular

Apple should ...

Apple should spend a billion dollars (of it's $70+ billion of cash on hand) and build its own chip plant here in the US, and be done with all of this back and forth.
axual is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:24 AM   #25
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

"I want everybody to focus on how awesome the 4S is right now. We'll get to the 5 next year. It's more fun for everybody to be talking about something I already have, and that's considered the best as of now." - Most Fanboys.

lol
jamesryanbell is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion