Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
hi! thanks for reading this. this is more a question asking if anyone has a solution to it.

if you have the "documents & data" setting on, and then decide not to use it by either turning it off or deleting your cloud account, it will take a snapshot of your settings at that moment. i thought it deleted the info off the server too but it does not!

so basically you go a few weeks/months and then decide you want to try icloud again and you turn on your documents & data switch and baaaaam, it will overwrite your settings with what you had the moment you first turned it off.

not a good thing. is there a way to actually DELETE the damn info off the server too?

in this way, you can never ever really have a truly clean install.

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Log on at iCloud.com and delete it there.

andy, thanks for the reply! i actually didn't even know there was a website called icloud. i logged in and checked and was only able to find mail, contacts, calendar, find iphone, iwork, but no settings.

i have attached a pic. thanks andy.

http://prntscr.com/3jkkw

3jkkw

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
yep. still can't seem to find a way so it doesn't overwrite settings.

day 1. documents & data switch is set to on. turn it off.
day 60. decide you want to have the documents and data switch on again so you can share game saves... you turn it on documents & data switch.

settings from day 60 get replaced by your settings from DAY 1.

at least it does for weather. i wish there was more in depth control or ability to say that you don't want it to overwrite settings but rather take on the new settings.

:(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
yep. still can't seem to find a way so it doesn't overwrite settings.

day 1. documents & data switch is set to on. turn it off.
day 60. decide you want to have the documents and data switch on again so you can share game saves... you turn it on documents & data switch.

settings from day 60 get replaced by your settings from DAY 1.

at least it does for weather. i wish there was more in depth control or ability to say that you don't want it to overwrite settings but rather take on the new settings.

:(

There are settings for weather that can be saved in iCloud? What are they?

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
There are settings for weather that can be saved in iCloud? What are they?

basically all the locations. if i put in 20 cities, turn off data and documents icloud.

then i delete the 20 cities, and then turn data and documents icloud back on,

those 20 cities will reappear.

unfortunately it works the reverse too.

if you have 1 city and then turn off data and documents icloud. then you add 20 cities. then you turn data and documents icloud back on, all those cities will be lost.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
basically all the locations. if i put in 20 cities, turn off data and documents icloud.

then i delete the 20 cities, and then turn data and documents icloud back on,

those 20 cities will reappear.

unfortunately it works the reverse too.

if you have 1 city and then turn off data and documents icloud. then you add 20 cities. then you turn data and documents icloud back on, all those cities will be lost.

Hmmm, yes I see how that would be a problem.

For what it's worth, I have Pages on all my devices. Before I turned on iCloud, some of the devices had different documents in Pages. As I turned on iCloud on each device, all documents on each device were picked up and added to iCloud, without deleting any. So I'm guessing if I turn off iCloud today, and turn it back on at a later date, my old documents from today would reappear, but new documents should stay in place. I hope! ;)

ETA: Just tried this. Turned off iCloud data sharing. All documents were deleted from Pages. Added new document. Turned iCloud data back on. New document was uploaded to iCloud, while old documents were downloaded back. So the behavior seems to vary depending on the app.

Last edited:

dirtleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
St. Louis
If these were doc's with same file name would there be an overwrite of files reloaded from iCloud, or vice/versa? Thinking about it I suppose that would be the case, following the example above of contacts and settings. I am not too crazy about this. I would think an alert to "overwrite" or keep the existing file would be prudent. This iCloud thing appears to need a little work, or at least we users need to be better informed of the protocols for the file transfers in either direction.

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
If these were doc's with same file name would there be an overwrite of files reloaded from iCloud, or vice/versa? Thinking about it I suppose that would be the case, following the example above of contacts and settings. I am not too crazy about this. I would think an alert to "overwrite" or keep the existing file would be prudent. This iCloud thing appears to need a little work, or at least we users need to be better informed of the protocols for the file transfers in either direction.

i could not agree more. needs a "do you want to overwrite with icloud" or "do you want to use the iphone as priority and use that as the new settings and docs for icloud."

Last edited:

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
i spoke with a sr. tech support agent at apple. they said they would have to get back to me for a solution on this.

derpherp

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
iCloud problems

I was playing infinity blade 2 on my iPhone 5, then i thought it would be cool to try to download a money hacked save file on my iPhone 4(since its the only device i have that can be jailbroken) and it worked. but you have to turn off iCloud in the process, and when i wanted to put this save file in iCloud by turning on iCloud documents and data setting, it just changed the save file back to how it was on my iPhone 5. is there a way to delete iCloud documents and data or replace them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.