Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon_text.jpg

Last month, we noted that Apple was aware of and working on the issue of users having multiple Apple IDs and seeking to merge them into a single account. MobileMe users in particular have been affected by the issue, as many of them had one ID for their MobileMe account and a separate account for iTunes Store purchases.

With the transition to iCloud for cross-device syncing and deeper integration, more users are interested in merging their accounts together so that a single Apple ID can be used for iCloud and past and future iTunes Store purchases. At the time, we reported that Apple CEO Tim Cook had emailed a customer to inform them that Apple was indeed working on the issue, but with the release of iCloud no solution has yet been deployed. Apple is instead offering guidelines for managing multiple Apple IDs.

But those still hoping for a merging solution may be able to continue holding out hope, as Tim Cook appears to have reached out again, this time in a phone call to a customer in Luxembourg, once again noting that Apple is working on the issue. The report from wort.lu describes Cook's response to the customer's email sent two days prior.
Henrique [Xavier] pointed out that with the recent launch of iCloud and iOS 5 upgrade software on 12 October, everyone has at least 2 Apple ID's, one before Apple's "MobileMe" was launched, and one after. "Now, people have a library that has been split in half and we can't take advantage of the new features of iOS 5" he stated.

Tim Cook's response was swift, and telephoning Henrique in Luxembourg direct from Apple HQ in Cupertino explained, "Thank you very much for your email, and I just want you to know we are aware of this issue and are working on it".
Interestingly, the report notes that Xavier received a follow-up call from Apple's European offices in Ireland offering him a "direct line" for future feedback on the company's products.

Article Link: Apple Still Working on Allowing Merging of Apple IDs

tbealmear

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Morgantown, WV
This could come in very handy for the people that need it. I, luckily do not, however I would like to be able to change my Apple ID and for some reason I am one of the lucky account holders that isn't able to do so.

d0mth0ma5

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
This is something that really couldn't come soon enough, i've currently got 3 accounts, a me.com, a hotmail for my UK iTunes and a gmail for my US purchases.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I can't believe that the European Apple HQ is in Ireland but we don't have any Apple stores!

On a more positive note, glad to hear they're still working on it

Can I make a new Apple ID with the @me email I got from iCloud? I'll actually be doing that and merging with my current Apple ID and using the @me Apple ID account as my main one if merging becomes possible in the future. Kinda hate the email I used for my current Apple ID

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I had the same problem. I basically lost the advantage of the extra 20GB of storage that came with Mobile Me and my MobileMe login, and ditched that for iCloud / iTunes. It was just easier. Especially since my Wife and I share a single iTunes account, using it to share calendars, photos, and files across 2 iphones, an ipad, and an MB Pro.

There's an Apple support document that describes how to export your bookmarks, calendars (ical), and other files. Just import that on your iCloud account after doing a hard "copy over" and you'll be fine– minus your extra free storage. I had planned on calling them to see if I could get the extra storage on my iTunes account instead, but I just haven't had the time.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Really happy they are doing this. I voiced my concern as well in an email. Can't come soon enough... (written with Siri perfectly btw :)

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I'm glad to see that Cook is taking the problem seriously and giving it his personal attention.

Solving this long standing and highly irritating problem will definitely earn him some points with Apple customers.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I can't believe that the European Apple HQ is in Ireland but we don't have any Apple stores!

On a more positive note, glad to hear they're still working on it

Can I make a new Apple ID with the @me email I got from iCloud? I'll actually be doing that and merging with my current Apple ID and using the @me Apple ID account as my main one if merging becomes possible in the future. Kinda hate the email I used for my current Apple ID

That @me address is automatically an Apple ID.

aikomhoch

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
Long Island
I still use my @mac address as my ID and now it's my iCloud address. I don't remember being forced to move my ID to @me when Apple made that switch.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Yes Please

I would be very pleased if they did this. I have two, my wife has two, it would be much better if we could just have one each.

davidramsay

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Cirencester, UK
A person can have multiple identities

Actually if Apple try to merge they will encounter far more problems than they need.

They need to go down the Glow route (that is Scotlands Intranet for schools), it supports a single person with multiple identities.

What is required is the generation of a super account which is the parent of all others leaving each of them to stand alone but allowing the user to login and use them all with the super account. They can then select the identity they wish to work with.

If Tim Cook wishes to call me ...

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
I do wonder though, it would be interesting to hear why it's taking so long to figure out how to merge IDs.

AmTechFox

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
OMG I need this to happen!

I too have a ME.com account, but I had been using my Live.com account with iTunes for a lot longer, so I was surprised I couldn't merge them years ago.

I pray this happens soon, as people have said it splits the iCloud features in two, iTunes Match service and the iCloud service.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Tim Cook is the man!

He is? He hasn't fixed the merge problem yet. I can say I'm working on bringing world peace does that make me the man? No I'd actually have to do it.

They've had over a year +++ to get iCloud and merging id's figured out. Sorry this should have taken place when they rolled out iCloud.

I like apple but fanboyism is out of control.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Good news, but can someone PLEASE clarify one thing?

My wife and I use the same US credit card number (hers) for iTunes purchases - my question is: can I keep using her card but having MY name as owner of the account? I don't want Apple to call me by my wife's name whenever I am browsing the iTunes Store or on Find My Friends!!!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Sure would be nice. I have my original Apple ID that I use for my developer account, iTunes, etc and then the one I use for MobileMe. Really would be nice to merge to two.

I also had fun when I tried to setup iCloud. Seems I had a 3rd account which used my email address that I had to change to a different email address so I could take my email address with my original Apple ID since you must now use an email address for an ID with the iCloud service.

----------

Good news, but can someone PLEASE clarify one thing?

My wife and I use the same US credit card number (hers) for iTunes purchases - my question is: can I keep using her card but having MY name as owner of the account? I don't want Apple to call me by my wife's name whenever I am browsing the iTunes Store or on Find My Friends!!!

I don't see why that'd be a problem. We use the same company card on several accounts with no issues.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I do wonder though, it would be interesting to hear why it's taking so long to figure out how to merge IDs.

Just a guess but maybe it's related to DRM. Your purchases have your ID embedded within, so all you DRM enabled applications would also have to be updated to understand how your multiple IDs are connected. Or you'd have to be issued new copies of all your purchases.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.