Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

c_spire_iphone_4s.jpg

While Sprint made waves in becoming the third U.S. carrier to offer the iPhone with the launch of the iPhone 4S, it appears that Apple will be broadening distribution even further to include smaller carriers as well. Regional carrier C Spire Wireless, formerly known as Cellular South, today announced that it will begin offering the iPhone 4S in the coming weeks.
C Spire Wireless announced today that it will launch iPhone 4S, the most amazing iPhone yet, in the U.S. in the coming weeks.

For further information or to register interest, please visit www.cspire.com/iphone. For more information on iPhone 4S, please visit www.apple.com/iphone.
C Spire, which operates a CDMA cellular network like Verizon and Sprint, is the largest private wireless telecommunications provider in the United States with approximately 875,000 customers. While C Spire's subscriber base pales in comparison to those of AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, the carrier's offering of the iPhone 4S signals a distinct shift by Apple to open up the iPhone to even more customers by reaching agreements with smaller carriers.

C Spire Wireless is based in Ridgeland, Mississippi and focuses its service on Mississippi, parts of Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, and the Memphis, Tennessee and Rome, Georgia areas.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Coming to U.S. Regional Carrier C Spire Wireless

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Never heard of them before, but this is only good news. More carriers -> More Marketshare -> More Developers -> More Angry Birds! (And other fun games)

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
I've never even heard of this company, and yet T-Mobile still can't get the iPhone? Methinks there's something behind the scenes that we're not catching wind of. I get the feeling that a deal was attempted but went South somehow.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It should be clear by now that Apple is waiting to see what happens with AT&T and T-Mobile merger before seriously considering T-mobile.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Who the hell does the CEO of T-Mobile have to ******* to get an iPhone?

It's because designing a phone that works on AWS (1700Mhz) would be extra work for Apple, work that Apple would probably never recover their investment from. That band is only used by two carriers, Wind Mobile and T-Mobile, and both are the smallest players in their respective markets.

Considering Apple doesn't want to design phones for just one carrier in mind, the only way that T-Mobile is going to get the iPhone is a) they integrate the 1700Mhz band into their "main" phone or b) they get sold to someone else.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Good for customers...

Wow! now you're getting real competition in the US, this will only be good for customers. The more carriers who have it the cheaper the contracts.

Here in the UK there are big battle for custom as all the carriers have access to the iPhone on their networks ('3' is offering a descent high speed data on a 'all you can eat' policy ... and now there are few pay as you go carriers offering iPhone micro sims plans for 300 min + 3000 text + all you eat data for £10 every 30 days

Competition is good! :-D

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Who the hell does the CEO of T-Mobile have to ******* to get an iPhone?

You mean, who does one of the T-Mobile models have to do.

It's because designing a phone that works on AWS (1700Mhz) would be extra work for Apple, work that Apple would probably never recover their investment from. That band is only used by two carriers, Wind Mobile and T-Mobile, and both are the smallest players in their respective markets.

Considering Apple doesn't want to design phones for just one carrier in mind, the only way that T-Mobile is going to get the iPhone is a) they integrate the 1700Mhz band into their "main" phone or b) they get sold to someone else.

If you sell 5 million on T-Mobile (which isn't far-fetched), you've more than made that money back. This argument is only true when you're dealing with phones that don't sell as well as iphone.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
t-mobile 3G frequency are different duh!

it will require modifications to iPhone 4S - that is the reason...

Apple has nothing against t-mobile.

t-mobile 4G also different than HSPA+ based on some other thread ...

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

shanmugam said:
it will require modifications to iPhone 4S - that is the reason...

Apple has nothing against t-mobile.

The iPhone is pretty popular on T-Mobile in Europe, since all carriers use
GSM and the same frequencies

So it has nothing against any carrier

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I use Cellular South/C-Spire (my contract is almost up, too), and this is good news. They've been specializing in Android phones until now, so I'll be interested to see how the iPhone affect their Android sales. They've also taken a few swipes at the iPhone and Apple in years past, but I guess if Apple calls you listen. No sense in both groups losing customers and money.

I won't be re-upping with them, though, because of the CDMA usage and not using voice and data at the same time. The one time I needed to, I couldn't do it. In the past they've had unlimited minutes and unlimited data for about $80, so it's a good deal, I guess. Also, their options for turning on international calling can be problematic, and I need that at least a few times a year.

All in all, though, this is a good get for a small carriers who is pretty good very helpful to their customers overall.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Please provide source.

T-Mobile USA technically does not have any 4G spectrum allocation. They are the ones who started calling HSPA+ a 4G service and the ITU caved in last December.

T-Mobile in various European markets already have HSPA+ and will eventually implement LTE.

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
And btw, AWS bands are used in US, Canada, Japan and Chile. So Apple would make up for the loss of adding an extra band to the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.