Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there be a new iPod Classic?

• Yes, there will be a new one before summer

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • No, not counting on anything happening

Votes: 134 91.2%

• Total voters

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
I know no-one can say, but will there ever be one?

My 120 GB is full, 160 GB is a too minor capacity enlargement and a new design would be nice, we know this one by now don't we?

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The market for iPod (all iPods) is diminishing, Apple didn't even update Touch this year. Highly improbable there'll be an iPod Classic update. Be happy they haven't discontinued it yet.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Really? Ain't that expensive?

You can get, for instance, 120GB hard drive for $70-$80 if you look hard enough. Not really expensive, only problem is the classic isn't very open-friendly and often requires damaging the casing a bit to open it up.

The video iPods are not that bad to open though as I've put in a 240GB hard drive in my 5.5G 80GB and am working on putting 120GB in a 5G iPod Video 30GB.

As far as the question I don't think we are going to see another classic update, at most the 220GB hard drive may be put in...however with apple trying to push iOS devices and iCloud service we might not even see that. You can pick up the 220GB and put that in if you are really itching to upgrade your capacity as it is the same size as the current 160GB hard drive.

To be perfectly honest, I love the interface to the iPod Classic. There would be only two features I'd like to see for the iPod Classic, a bigger screen and HD Video output. I wouldn't want the software side to change.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Unfortunetly no, there most likely won't be. I'd LOVE a 128 gb classic with flash ram. Or a 256 gb hdd one.

But the reality is that the classic just can't bring in the dollars like an iOS unit can so it isn't worth updating in Apples eyes.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I doubt it, though I know Apple could do a fantastic version if they wanted to.

A good update would be to make it thinner, lower the clickwheel and enlarge the screen slightly (multitouch). It could run a version of iOS, but the focus would be purely on music.

So the sound quality will be improved, and they will allow 3rd parties like Spotify to create dedicated apps.

I would love another classic for the gym, car etc so I'm not so reliant on my iPhone, but without Spotify support it's a no go:(

bloatedjake

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
as much as i want to hope that there will be a new iPod classic, i dont think there will be one. i've been waiting for an upgrade since last year because my ipod got stolen. but it seems like i should just purchase one before it runs out or gets removed from the products list. :(

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
There are never going to release a new iPod classic. The removal of the click wheel games are indicative of it. It's a downer, but that's what happens when everyone jumps on the 'touch' bandwagon.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
If you were to take a wild guess, how much longer do you suppose the iPod Classic will be available at Apple stores?

This will probably sound really stupid (not to mention a tremendous waste of money), but I was thinking about buying a 160gb Classic and just keeping it in the box. Why? I'm not entirely sure, I just feel like I need to :eek:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In answer to the question asked by the OP, I very much doubt that there will be a new iPod classic. Unfortunately.

However, - a different question, arising from the first, I, personally, would love one - preferably with a SSD drive - and would cheerfully buy such an offering. There are still those of us out there who wish to have a device that will play (and store) all of our music and do it really well, without the need for any of the other proverbial bells and whistles......;)

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
(...) There are still those of us out there who wish to have a device that will play (and store) all of our music and do it really well, without the need for any of the other proverbial bells and whistles......;)

That's exactly why I want I new Classic. My 120 GB is full and 160 is nog enough of an upgrade.

Just HD (or SSD) storage boost, and maybe new design =)

This is where the magic iPods started, don't let it end here! ;) Maybe that's why Apple keeps it in store but doesn't upgrade it anymore?

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I want a large (larger) capacity MUSIC PLAYER. I don't want or need a portable game player. I have an iPhone. The touch screen interface is a pain in the ass because you have to look at it. Putting a touch screen on the Classic would ruin it for most users. We will probably never see an update. Makes me kinda sad.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree that it's probably not going to happen. In fact I would not be too surprised if the Classic was discontinued within the next couple years.

I want a large (larger) capacity MUSIC PLAYER. I don't want or need a portable game player. I have an iPhone. The touch screen interface is a pain in the ass because you have to look at it. Putting a touch screen on the Classic would ruin it for most users. We will probably never see an update. Makes me kinda sad.

If you have a headset with a remote, or at least a call button, then technically you don't have to look at the screen. Just tap the central button once to pause/play, twice to go to the next track, or three times for the previous track.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Maybe because many people loved and still love them? Why is that so hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand. But you're applying common sense, good judgement & other characteristics that Apple often abhors. :)

I've really enjoyed mine. It's very durable, with a variety of uses for those who are creative.

Yet let's not forget that Apple likes to force feed new products to their loyal customers. It's an opportunity to kill off good products. It's how they build new markets and it feeds their ego. Remarkably, Jobs became so persuasive he could convince his worshipers of anything. Believing he knew better than they do, they simply followed his edict.

I've read some very strong rumors of it's eminent demise, so I bought a new one yesterday to have in stock once mine dies from natural causes :)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If you were to take a wild guess, how much longer do you suppose the iPod Classic will be available at Apple stores?

This will probably sound really stupid (not to mention a tremendous waste of money), but I was thinking about buying a 160gb Classic and just keeping it in the box. Why? I'm not entirely sure, I just feel like I need to :eek:

I did that last Christmas, it stays in a box in my closet and I half charge it now and again to keep the battery from going bad. I still currently use my 120GB Classic, still has great battery life and the hard drive still runs like a champ despite the dozens or so drops it has experienced.

When the time comes that they do actually eliminate the Classic I will probably buy another one, retire the 120GB, use the 160GB that I currently have and keep the new 160GB in the closet.

I absolutely LOVE the classic and its really sad that apple hasn't given it's full potential such as:
- HD Video Output support
- Glass Screen
- Eliminating that glossy back (though it is classy when kept in good condition, which is impossible unless you put a invisible shield or BSE on it out of the box)
- Up-to-date hard drive capacity updates
- Improvement in audio chips, the classic's chip is pretty piss poor in comparison to the 6th gen nano and even the shuffle.

To me these would make the product perfect for me.

I hate it when people come on here and act like there isn't anything more they can do to the classic. They just choose not to. The last three years or so the iPod Classic has been second only to the iPod Touch @ Bestbuy, Amazon and Walmart.

They keep avoiding updating the iPod Touch that one will go the way of the classic as well. iPod Touch isn't just a device that makes cash from hardware sales its still a force at the app store that makes Apple a bunch of money, I'm shocked at no updates AT ALL to the iPod Line this year (that nano software update doesn't count, its still the same 6th gen nano with the same functions).

Makes no sense that they continue to refuse to update capacity on any of the models. File sizes are getting larger not smaller. We aren't in 2008 where all the iTunes content is 128kbps (outside of EMI) and videos were standard definition.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
I personally love the Classic, as I have the 7 Gen 160GB. Before asking yourself if they would come out with a new version, you have to ask yourself, "Why? What could they improve upon?"

1) The classic is as elegant as it could possibly be. It doesn't have too much, it doesn't have too little. It's functionality is perfect for what you would want the classic to do. Otherwise, you would begin to encroach upon the touch.

2) If space is your issue, re-evaluation on your behalf might be necessary. Apple's thought process is that 'Less is More'. They want to instill this onto their customers and build upon the culture it has established. Apple would not want to give you more memory because it is not necessary. I bet you only listen to a mere fraction of that 120GB.

Simplify, Reduce, Enjoy.

glittersparkles

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
London
i have the 120gb classic.. i have also had nanos 1, 2, 3, and 6/7 (due to the nano replacement program) and i preferred the click wheel, but apple seems to not. still, the classic is beautiful. but i don't see any updates likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.