Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aerial footage (no audio) of Steve Jobs celebration (Source: CNET)
As we noted earlier today, Apple updated its Steve Jobs memorial site with remembrances of the company co-founder and CEO ahead of today's private celebration of Jobs' life held on Apple's campus in Cupertino, California. While the private event is closed to the media and the public, those in attendance have been sharing some details on the event and their thoughts, with many expressing the feeling that they are finally feeling a sense of closure with the event.

tim_cook_steve_jobs_celebration.jpg

Tim Cook speaks at Apple's celebration of Steve Jobs' life (Source: Apple)
Twitter seems to be the medium of choice for attendees to share their experiences, and we've collected a few of the comments we've spotted there.

@tylerstone:
Wonderful speech by Tim. Wonderful speech by Bill Campbell. Wonderful performance by Norah Jones. This really helps bring closure.
@xtian666:
An incredible and fitting celebration. Tears, laughter and some closure. #stevejobs
@larley:
That was a really moving ceremony. Norah Jones, Coldplay, Al Gore... Got choked up when they played Steve reading "Here's to the Crazy Ones"

Article Link: Norah Jones and Coldplay Help Apple Celebrate Steve Jobs' Life [Aerial Video of Event]

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Forgive me if this has been said already- but will a video of this ceremony be made available? (As in- any place online where one can watch the entire thing)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Forgive me if this has been said already- but will a video of this ceremony be made available? (As in- any place online where one can watch the entire thing)

With so many iOS users likely in attendance for this event, I wouldn't doubt that we will see some great amateur video posted up on places like YouTube and likewise in the next 24 hours.

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
I really hope they post a video of this, Apple employees got their closure today and I've been looking for closure too and I hope it doesn't come when I finish the book next week

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I am 99.98% convinced that the company will not post anything. It was a private event, intended for current employees only.

There's a slight chance that an attendee will post something to YouTube, etc. however most attendees will probably realize that this diminishes the dignity of Steve's passing, violates company policy in unauthorized disclosure of company confidential information, and most importantly probably goes against the wishes of the family.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
employees sharing info about the PRIVATE event on their twitter or other sites should be tracked and fired

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
....and most importantly probably goes against the wishes of the family.

Well, they did have a separate private family event already. That's clearly very personal.

But if there's something in this event that the family doesn't want to be seen, why would they be ok with 50,000 employees seeing it? It's not exactly private at that point.

man4mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
For those of you who are interested, I made a little web app that downloads the condolences off the apple page. I made it for myself since I'm interested in what these messages say, but won't be reading more than a few a day...I wanted something that would save them for later reading. I'll make the link available to anyone who wants to use it:

http://www.jpschroeder.com/stevejobs

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
For those of you who are interested, I made a little web app that downloads all of the condolences off Apple's servers. I made it for myself since I'm interested in what these messages say, but won't be reading more than a few a day...I wanted something that would save them in case apple took them down. I'll make the link available to anyone who wants to use it:

http://www.jpschroeder.com/stevejobs

mate, you are violating the company's property by downloading this content from Apple's server

man4mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
mate, you are violating the company's property by downloading this content from Apple's server

you realize when you go to their website and click on the picture you are downloading the same comments from the company as well right? These are the public comments they shared. Its not a hack.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
you realize when you go to their website and click on the picture you are downloading the same comments from the company as well right? These are the public comments they shared. Its not a hack.

reproducing the content is prohibited

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Any one know what songs Nora Jones and ColdPlay performed??

I'm still waiting for Apple to announce a huge public benefit concert in the memory of steve:)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I am 99.98% convinced that the company will not post anything. It was a private event, intended for current employees only.

There's a slight chance that an attendee will post something to YouTube, etc. however most attendees will probably realize that this diminishes the dignity of Steve's passing, violates company policy in unauthorized disclosure of company confidential information, and most importantly probably goes against the wishes of the family.

What confidential information could possibly have been discussed at a memorial? What harm could be done if fans of Apple - customers - view what happened today? We are just as important as the employees. If there was no one to buy the products, Apple would not exist. I am not understanding the urge to keep what was said at the event secret. Maybe I am missing something. It is fine to have employees only attend the actual event, but something involving 50,000 people is not personal, or secretive, and should be made available to anyone who admired Steve via video. That's my opinion.

Well, they did have a separate private family event already. That's clearly very personal.

But if there's something in this event that the family doesn't want to be seen, why would they be ok with 50,000 employees seeing it? It's not exactly private at that point.

Agreed.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

Because those 50,000 chose to work for and with Steve. They have spent a lot of their lives in executing Steve's vision. They are also co-owners of the company that he created.

Even if it's a companywide event, it's still private, just like a town hall/all hands meeting, a sneak preview into the upcoming product, or free ice cream on a particular Friday at the company cafeteria.

Remember, the size of the event has nothing to do with whether or not it's public. If Google rents out Shoreline Amphitheatre for a picnic and concert for its employees, it's basically the same thing. The fact that you own an Android smartphone or that you use Gmail doesn't entitle you to attend the event.

The audience is different, larger, but still selected for this particular event, just like the Sunday event had a different audience.

It's likely that temporary employees and contractors were not invited to the service. Hell, I've been a contractor in high tech and as such I wouldn't get invited to the company holiday party.

If you want to see Apple's official endorsed, publicly viewable memorial, just visit

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs

That's your public memorial. Otherwise you can peruse the images and videos of various Apple Store sidewalk memorials. Those are public.

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
http://www.apple.com/legal/terms/site.html

everything posted on the website is not be reproduced without the company's approval

you should read first before acting

Those are messages coming from millions of people and consequently NOT Apple's copyright. If such raw information were structured in any way, then Apple might have a copyright on the database...otherwise it belongs to whoever posted them.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Those big banner posters with the photos of Steve on them are very touching and very nice to see. I hope they keep them up for a while. I especially love seeing the older photos. :)

I'm also curious to know what songs were performed... but they'll probably make me cry like a baby when I think about it... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.