Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Some of my iMessage messages take 30+ seconds just to send and I'm not sure why. At first I thought it way maybe b/c my data connection was bad. But I have the same issue at time on a very strong Wifi connection. This also never happens when using third party messengers like Whatsapp. So what gives with iMessage? I should also mention that I had the same issue on my iPhone 4 w/ iOS 5 installed so I know it's not an issue with my iPhone 4S.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
No problems here seems after then SMS to me , maybe 2-5 secs

MOST of the time this is the case for me as well. But there are still a BUNCH of messages that seem to get held up and don't send for that 30+ second time frame.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Does the problem persist across different recipients? If so, I would agree that its server side latency. Apple hasn't had any big malfunctions getting the new NC data center up and running, but they're definitely still working out the kinks.

I haven't had that problem, but I have had a few iMessages decide to go as SMS's instead (even on 3g)...:confused:

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Does the problem persist across different recipients? If so, I would agree that its server side latency. Apple hasn't had any big malfunctions getting the new NC data center up and running, but they're definitely still working out the kinks.

I haven't had that problem, but I have had a few iMessages decide to go as SMS's instead (even on 3g)...:confused:

Yea it happens quite a bit and the recipient has no effect on it.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Actually if you read Anandtech's iOS 5 review you will note that iMessage actually sends over 3G by default even when connected to wifi. The only time that seems to not be the case is when you are sending an attachment or when you have the cell side disabled.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Actually if you read Anandtech's iOS 5 review you will note that iMessage actually sends over 3G by default even when connected to wifi. The only time that seems to not be the case is when you are sending an attachment or when you have the cell side disabled.

That's a very interesting article and thanks for linking it. Kind of wish there was a way to have iMessage messages go over Wifi instead of 3G (without turning off my cellular connection) since the congestion on AT&T's towers in Soho during business hours is horrendous. But that definitely explains why my messages are being delayed when in the office. Thanks.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
remember that iMessage tells you the message is sent after the other user receives it. Third party apps (and also SMS/MMS) tell you it's sent as soon as it 'leaves' your phone and makes it into 'the cloud', not when it's received on the other end. So it is reflecting delays on going up from your phone, into 'the cloud' and back down plus any delays in the notification signal as well.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
remember that iMessage tells you the message is sent after the other user receives it. Third party apps (and also SMS/MMS) tell you it's sent as soon as it 'leaves' your phone and makes it into 'the cloud', not when it's received on the other end. So it is reflecting delays on going up from your phone, into 'the cloud' and back down plus any delays in the notification signal as well.

This isn't true so I'm not sure where you got this info. Once the "sending" bar disappears from the top, the message left your phone. Once the message says "delivered" the other users device actually received the message. If the person has read receipts enabled, it will also say "read" once the other user reads the message.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
This isn't true so I'm not sure where you got this info. Once the "sending" bar disappears from the top, the message left your phone. Once the message says "delivered" the other users device actually received the message. If the person has read receipts enabled, it will also say "read" once the other user reads the message.

Hmm, I've never even seen 'sent' so I didn't even know there was a separate status. Mine always goes straight from sending to delivered, which was what i was referring to.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Hmm, I've never even seen 'sent' so I didn't even know there was a separate status. Mine always goes straight from sending to delivered, which was what i was referring to.

It won't say "sent" it will just show "sending" on top with a progress bar. Once that progress bar disappears that means the message was sent. Once you see "delivered" you know it hit the other person's device.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
London
sending a picture message takes ages for me on my wifi and my two friends wifi. Over a minute

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
It won't say "sent" it will just show "sending" on top with a progress bar. Once that progress bar disappears that means the message was sent. Once you see "delivered" you know it hit the other person's device.

right. I just thought you meant it was taking forever to say 'delivered' and I was just pointing out that 3rd party and MMS don't let you know that.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
right. I just thought you meant it was taking forever to say 'delivered' and I was just pointing out that 3rd party and MMS don't let you know that.

Gotcha. No, my point was that it was taking forever for the "sending" to complete. Once it does, the "delivered" usually appears fairly quickly. I'm hoping Apple could improve this over time from their end.

acarmich

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Why does it do this???

iMessage is really beginning to extremely annoy me! It baffles me why it doesn't prioritise WIFI over a network connection. I get really ****** coverage at home and need it to do this or my iMessage's will take forever to send! :(

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Some of my iMessage messages take 30+ seconds just to send and I'm not sure why. At first I thought it way maybe b/c my data connection was bad. But I have the same issue at time on a very strong Wifi connection. This also never happens when using third party messengers like Whatsapp. So what gives with iMessage? I should also mention that I had the same issue on my iPhone 4 w/ iOS 5 installed so I know it's not an issue with my iPhone 4S.

Mine usually sends instantly...

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
My friend who has a 3GS complains that iMessage literally freezes up his entire phone for a good 2 seconds or so while sending a message, or receiving one. I dunno what the cause may be, but some problem with iMessage send/receive is definitely existent.

Yzord

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Some of my iMessage messages take 30+ seconds just to send and I'm not sure why. At first I thought it way maybe b/c my data connection was bad. But I have the same issue at time on a very strong Wifi connection.

Simple, the iMessage dude who has to pass trough the messages has gone to the toilet. Sometimes other things has to be done.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Prioritizing 3G over wifi would explain the issue I had yesterday when texting my wife. I am on AT&T and she is on Verizon (company phone). She was talking on the phone at the time and I tried to send her 3 texts (iMessage), all timed out. Verizon not doing data and voice at the same time over 3G might have been the issue. She has wifi available at her office, but she thought she was having issues with that connection. Perhaps she wasn't and it was prioritizing 3G over the wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.