Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulie8362

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I am in need of guidance. I am hosting my website through MobileMe and knowing that within a year that will be discontinued. I am looking at hosting it myself. I thought of purchasing a Mac Mini something small and simple to leave at the office in the closet. I would connect it directly to the cable modem and then "HOPEFULLY" use it as a server through iWeb's built in FTP file website publishing ability. Should I purchase just a regular Mac Mini or Mac Mini Server? Do you think this will work? Thanks :apple:

ChpTrk

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
I am in need of guidance. I am hosting my website through MobileMe and knowing that within a year that will be discontinued. I am looking at hosting it myself. I thought of purchasing a Mac Mini something small and simple to leave at the office in the closet. I would connect it directly to the cable modem and then "HOPEFULLY" use it as a server through iWeb's built in FTP file website publishing ability. Should I purchase just a regular Mac Mini or Mac Mini Server? Do you think this will work? Thanks :apple:

Either one will work fine. You'll need to open up the port on your router's firewall and direct it to your mini and unless you've paid your cable company for a static IP address, you'll need to use a DNS service provider like no-ip.com. I did the same with an old 6500/225 years ago. Not the fastest perfomance (vs. a hosting service), but for personal web pages it's fine, and basically free.

However, for what you'll spend on buying a mini just to host web pages, you should probably consider finding a host and paying for service. Also, if it's just for personal suff, your cable provider probably gives you some storage space that you could use and its already included in your monthly payments. I used to have some iWeb pages hosted via my comcast account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.