Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Steve Jobs Regretted Early Decision to Delay Cancer Surgery

With Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs set for release next Monday, tidbits from the book have been surfacing from time to time. But the most significant revelations to become public ahead of the book's launch will come on Sunday, when an interview with Isaacson airs on the CBS show 60 Minutes. CBS is offering a brief preview of the segment, which will reveal that Jobs regretted an early decision to delay surgery for his pancreatic cancer back in 2004.
Quote:
"I've asked [Jobs why he didn't get an operation then] and he said, 'I didn't want my body to be opened...I didn't want to be violated in that way,'" Isaacson recalls. So he waited nine months, while his wife and others urged him to do it, before getting the operation, reveals Isaacson. Asked by [60 Minutes correspondent Steve] Kroft how such an intelligent man could make such a seemingly stupid decision, Isaacson replies, "I think that he kind of felt that if you ignore something, if you don't want something to exist, you can have magical thinking...we talked about this a lot," he tells Kroft. "He wanted to talk about it, how he regretted it....I think he felt he should have been operated on sooner."
Isaacson goes on to note that Jobs continued to receive cancer treatments after his surgery, even as he was playing down the seriousness of the issue and telling people that he had been cured. By the time of his surgery, the cancer had already spread beyond his pancreas to the surrounding tissues, suggesting that earlier surgery that could have caught the cancer before it spread might have given Jobs a much better chance.

Isaacson's interview, which will air on the 60 Minutes episode beginning at 7:00 PM Eastern Time Sunday on CBS, offers a number of other tidbits from Jobs' life, including his views on death and the effect of extreme wealth on some of Apple's early employees, a perspective that shaped how he dealt with his own wealth.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Regretted Early Decision to Delay Cancer Surgery
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
lamar0607
macrumors member

Very sad that he regrets it--my wife's mother died of pancreatic...if there was a window to have solved it, and you know it, you always take it.
lamar0607 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3

While this is all speculation, in general, with cancer, the earlier it's detected and treated, the better one's prospects. It might not have completely cured it (cancer is a vicious disease), acting sooner might have given him another month, year, decade or longer.
KPOM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #4
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Pretty typical of his life. He was usually the only one in his own way.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:16 PM   #5
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

It's amazing what a different mindset I am from that.

If I found out I had cancer I'd ask the doc "um, can you cut me open like now?"

Sad when a good person could have possibly bought some more time by acting quicker.
HarryKeogh is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
liavman
macrumors 6502

I was just telling someone a couple of days back that Jobs will still be with us had he not tried to cure his cancer with special diets right after he was diagnosed and instead had gone for surgery right away. How unfortunate!. But it is too easy to drive ourselves crazy with such contra-factual deliberations!

Last edited by liavman; Oct 20, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
liavman is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
We're all fallible.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:18 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

We all have this kind of thinking, sad to say. Itís part of our flawed human brains!
nagromme is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:18 PM   #9
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Quote:
suggesting that earlier surgery that could have caught the cancer before it spread might have given Jobs a much better chance.
Why Steve, why?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:19 PM   #10
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

so sad that he could have survived. He just let the cancer grow for 6 months
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:19 PM   #11
gri
macrumors 6502a

Now, that's just tragic - especially since neoendocrine pancreatic cancer has a better cure rate that adenocarcinoma. The earlier the therapy the better, and the only curative approach is surgery in this case. Chemo is adjuvant.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:19 PM   #12
helix21
macrumors regular

I have a feeling this book is going to very revealing, more so than what people anticipate and I feel many people won't like what they read.

I'm in absolutely awe of the man and was shattered when I heard about his first diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. As a medic I can tell you a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is sadly like a ticking time bomb. In those 5 years, Jobs envisioned us with the iPhone and iPad! However, not getting small cell pancreatic carcinoma operated and giving it the chance to metastasise is medically, ridiculously stupid.
helix21 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:19 PM   #13
reden
macrumors 6502

Maybe there was deeper reasoning into this. It was a time when Apple was nearing its prime with the iPhone launch ahead, and he didn't want to take that risk. Maybe he was afraid to be that 5% that dies due to complications of the surgery and felt he couldn't walk away from Apple that soon?
reden is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:19 PM   #14
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Hard to believe that somebody so intelligent and with access to the best surgeons did not take advantage of that. He made it through so many things in life on sheer will -- I suppose that can train your way of thinking to be unprepared for something like cancer. Unfortunately his change of heart came a little too late. We never will know if earlier surgery would have saved his life, but it might have given him a better chance. In the end, surgery is an extremely personal decision.

Last edited by BC2009; Oct 20, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
BC2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:20 PM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
We're all fallible.
Very much so.

I've been facing the possibility of Mesothelioma for 5 or 6 years now and I'm still not sure what course I would take if I get that diagnosis.

In the end he was just another human being. Not sure about what to do.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

I am 29 and had been very sick for 2 years and recently they found a lump on my pancreas. The first thing I said to them was lets do it lets get rid of this! After having my gall bladder and bile duct taken out last month and getting the thumbs up that I am so far cancer free I can say it was the best decision I made.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

"Crazy ones", indeed.

Note: I don't mean this in a negative way. I mean it in the sense that he was going to do things his way until the end. It may have cost him his life or at least a portion of it, but he did things his way. Ironic.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:21 PM   #18
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix21 View Post
I have a feeling this book is going to very revealing, more so than what people anticipate and I feel many people won't like what they read.
I think you're absolutely right.
Aduntu is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:22 PM   #19
ferrous
macrumors regular

Decisions

It was his decision and he knew the possible consequences. Sad as it is, we all weigh pluses and minuses of our choices and that's how life rolls...
ferrous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:23 PM   #20
Swift
macrumors 65816

Not so fast

Of course, it was the wrong thing to try to cure this with herbs and so on. But who know? If they had opened him up sooner, maybe the cancer would still be outside the pancreas. You don't know.
Swift is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:24 PM   #21
Keebler
macrumors 68030

this book is going to be very interesting.

I don't think Jobs did anything that thousands of other ppl don't do on a daily basis. The threat of mortality must be eye opening and scary in so many ways that I don't know what I would do given the same situation. I'd like to think I would get it cut out as soon as possible, but who knows.

The same can be said for people who have all the #1 factors for heart attacks or have had cancer, but still smoke etc...

however, still sad.
Keebler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:26 PM   #22
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

I hope that his regret may spark people who are diagnosed to seek early treatment, and to encourage people to be screened more regularly.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:27 PM   #23
9secondadidas
macrumors member

Quote:
...how such an intelligent man could make such a seemingly stupid decision...
This. Seriously. I don't care how smart you are, cancer is the one thing you DONT !@#$ AROUND WITH.

9secondadidas is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
darkfiber
macrumors 6502a

I am reminded of Jim Henson, who Apple featured in their "Think Different" campaign, died after putting off medical attention as well. It was a different illness, but Henson's death probably could have been prevented if he would have gotten medical care sooner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hen...ness_and_death
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:28 PM   #25
Small White Car
macrumors G3

When you ask a human to confront their own mortality the answers we come up with rarely contain the same logic we apply to the rest of the world. You certainly can't criticize someone for the conclusions they come to in situations like this.

I'm sorry to hear that he regretted it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
so sad that he could have survived. He just let the cancer grow for 6 months
It should be clarified that you should be saying he could have had "a better chance" rather than "have survived."

No one's saying they know what would have happened if he had.
Small White Car is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion