Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Fold003.png

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, cool weather has started to descend upon the northern hemisphere again, and for some of us who maybe took a break from folding during the heat of the summer, it means it's time to kick those protein simulations into high gear!

If you are unfamiliar, Folding@Home is a distributed computing project that utilizes unused CPU and GPU power from around the world to simulate how proteins "fold" in an attempt to cure diseases like cancer, ALS, and Alzheimer's.
If you wan't more information about Folding@Home, look at the project's official website, this (slightly outdated) FAQ, or just ask in this subforum.

Let this thread serve as both a place to share your plans for folding this winter, and as a rallying cry/call to arms/revitalization of the team as we kick off a great new season of folding!

--------------------

I have started folding again on my i7 Hackintosh for the past week or two. I started with SMP units, then installed Ubuntu under virtualbox to run bigadvs. Tonight, I tried putting on my first OC of the season. Aiming for 4ghz.:D We will see how stable it is. Hope it makes it through the night! If I can't get it stable, I'll back it down to 3.8, which has consistently worked well for me in the past.

One nice thing about folding in a VM is that even if the host OS restarts or crashes, the VM state is saved. Haven't lost a unit yet when running under a VM. I have been able to reboot freely and not have to worry about loosing a delicate bigadv! Haven't noticed too much of a decrease in performance due to VM over head. VirtualBox seems to be pretty efficient and using a Linux distro with no GUI probably helps!

I also upgraded to 24GB of RAM :)o) this summer, so no more worrying about bigadvs eating up my available RAM!:D

Do share your setups and any new hardware you plan to use! Fold on!

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
dang that's a lot of RAM!! glad you got VMs working good for you.

i recently started folding with 1 gpu a couple of weeks ago, and i just started with another gpu tonight.

once the cold is here to stay (and it might be now), i'll fire up my other pc and fold with it also. i don't know if i'll run the bigadv units this time, but we'll see.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
dang that's a lot of RAM!! glad you got VMs working good for you.

i recently started folding with 1 gpu a couple of weeks ago, and i just started with another gpu tonight.

once the cold is here to stay (and it might be now), i'll fire up my other pc and fold with it also. i don't know if i'll run the bigadv units this time, but we'll see.

Do you still have the first gen i7 PC? Could put out some good numbers. It's too bad that bigadvs took a hit in amount of bonus points awarded, but I guess it does help keep things fair. They still are the best for getting lots of points if you can run them!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Is it possible to run native in Lion? I would if I could!

Yes it is for normal units, but not for the special bidadv units (yet). But this is not too big of an issue because bigadvs require a rather fast computer to run 24/7 to meet the deadline for bonus points.

thormarketing

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
Yes it is for normal units, but not for the special bidadv units (yet). But this is not too big of an issue because bigadvs require a rather fast computer to run 24/7 to meet the deadline for bonus points.

I'm (trying) to run it on a 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Xeon. The System Preferences pane claims it is running, but unfortunately I am seeing a 100% Idle processor.

Edit: I ended up creating a Passkey. It seems to be working now.

Last edited:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I'm (trying) to run it on a 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Xeon. The System Preferences pane claims it is running, but unfortunately I am seeing a 100% Idle processor.

Edit: I ended up creating a Passkey. It seems to be working now.
Do you have the correct smp argument? Should be -smp 16.

Anyone know why is MiniUsage and Activity Monitor reporting 16 cores? Seems like a weird quirk.

Hyperthreading. Each physical core shows up as two virtual cores.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Do you still have the first gen i7 PC? Could put out some good numbers. It's too bad that bigadvs took a hit in amount of bonus points awarded, but I guess it does help keep things fair. They still are the best for getting lots of points if you can run them!

yeah i still have it. i'm not running any bigadv units yet. i might crank up another machine this weekend though. i haven't kept up with the newer clients. i guess i'll do some research when i have time

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
we need people talking again on here about fah so we can keep our team going strong!

i've added another computer folding with 2 x gpus and a cpu

Wonderful! Should give us a nice boost! Are you sticking with standard SMP units, or going for bigadvs?

After initial trouble, I finally found the time to get my OC stable. Running solid at 3.8Ghz. Stanford is "moving some stuff around on their servers", so there is a bit of a bigadv drought right now, so when those come back online, I should be cranking out bigadvs again!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wonderful! Should give us a nice boost! Are you sticking with standard SMP units, or going for bigadvs?

After initial trouble, I finally found the time to get my OC stable. Running solid at 3.8Ghz. Stanford is "moving some stuff around on their servers", so there is a bit of a bigadv drought right now, so when those come back online, I should be cranking out bigadvs again!

nice!

i'm not doing bigadvs units this time. trying to save at least a little on my power bill. but i'm running the advmethods units, not the regular smp units. so i still get some bonus points.

and i just added 2 more gpus to folding. maybe another cpu after i see how this system runs

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
nice!

i'm not doing bigadvs units this time. trying to save at least a little on my power bill. but i'm running the advmethods units, not the regular smp units. so i still get some bonus points.

and i just added 2 more gpus to folding. maybe another cpu after i see how this system runs

How would a bigadv use more power? Isn't 100% CPU use still 100% use?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Turned Einstein@home back on on my iMac almost a month ago and joined the macrumors team. Once I get more ram in my Mac pro I plan to turn it on there as well.

I've been trying to find a decent solution to circulate air in my cabinet with the ps3 so I can run that as well but currently it gets way to hot while running for me to leave it on for an extended period.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Turned Einstein@home back on on my iMac almost a month ago and joined the macrumors team. Once I get more ram in my Mac pro I plan to turn it on there as well.

I've been trying to find a decent solution to circulate air in my cabinet with the ps3 so I can run that as well but currently it gets way to hot while running for me to leave it on for an extended period.

Any way we could convert you to folding@home instead?:D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
How would a bigadv use more power? Isn't 100% CPU use still 100% use?

to run bigadv units, i have to overclock quite a bit to make the deadline. i'm not overclocked anymore, or if i am, it's not much. this saves power.

and on 2 systems, i'm just running GPUs.

nice! can we get you on our folding@home team? they are both for a great cause.

+1!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
to run bigadv units, i have to overclock quite a bit to make the deadline. i'm not overclocked anymore, or if i am, it's not much. this saves power.
In my vm client I am able to meet the bonus point deadline even when at stock speeds. Maybe the linux client is more efficient even with the vm overhead?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
New version 7 [64 bit version] of Folding@home

I found a new version which is OPEN BETA, but is 64 bit for OS X and few of the other supported OS's...

Folding Blog/Download Link Page

I don't like the fact it is a separate app now, in stead of being just a preference pane app. The GUI is quirky too, FYI.

Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

and on 2 systems, i'm just running GPUs.

nice! can we get you on our folding@home team? they are both for a great cause.

+1!

installing on my mac pro as we speak my iMac would probably have a conniption if i tried to run folding along side BOINC

Whats the team # though all i see for macrumors is:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=47628

edit: this looks more like it: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=3446

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Here
They will email you it which you will enter in the client configuration.

i'm brain dead today...
now from some searching looks like i'll wait this one out a little while:
[20:08:34] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[20:08:34] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[20:08:34] - Attempt #7 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
In my vm client I am able to meet the bonus point deadline even when at stock speeds. Maybe the linux client is more efficient even with the vm overhead?

hmm, which processor do you have?

I found a new version which is OPEN BETA, but is 64 bit for OS X and few of the other supported OS's...

Folding Blog/Download Link Page

I don't like the fact it is a separate app now, in stead of being just a preference pane app. The GUI is quirky too, FYI.

thanks for the heads up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.