Clearing Disk Space? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Burch
macrumors member

Clearing Disk Space?

Hi. I have multiple updates on my Air but I can't update because it says "Your hard disk does not have enough space". Does anyone have any tips of clearing the disk space. I have used CleanMyMac and saved 12 gigabytes since the release of the computer. Should I just pay $50 for a 500 gigabyte or 1 terabyte hard drive?
Burch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Boston007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burch View Post
Hi. I have multiple updates on my Air but I can't update because it says "Your hard disk does not have enough space". Does anyone have any tips of clearing the disk space. I have used CleanMyMac and saved 12 gigabytes since the release of the computer. Should I just pay $50 for a 500 gigabyte or 1 terabyte hard drive?
Wait you have 12 gig free and it won't update? Something is wrong.

Did you run Verify/Repair Permissions?

Can you run in Safe Mode and update?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:02 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I have used CleanMyMac and saved 12 gigabytes since the release of the computer.
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
NikFinn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.
Also, how does the OP plan on upgrading the stock hard drive to 500GB or 1 TB?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:30 AM   #5
bigeasy_uk
macrumors 6502

After every app install or OS update I always run monolingual and clear out all the languages I don't use and all specific cpu architecture code that I don't need, ie: ARM and PowerPC. I've only got 64GB to play with so I keep everything as clean as I can and delete stuff I don't need.
bigeasy_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I use cleanmymac all the time. You just need to go through the cache deletion area and uncheck certain things that you think may cause a problem. From past experiences anything with saved data such as games I uncheck. Other than that have never had a problem.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:52 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
I use cleanmymac all the time. You just need to go through the cache deletion area and uncheck certain things that you think may cause a problem. From past experiences anything with saved data such as games I uncheck. Other than that have never had a problem.
While you may have had no issues, enough people have reported problems that it's prudent to offer a warning about it, especially when there are alternatives that don't have so many reported problems.
GGJstudios is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

Quote:
While you may have had no issues, enough people have reported problems that it's prudent to offer a warning about it, especially when there are alternatives that don't have so many reported problems.
What would you recommend as an alternative? I'm trying to find something that offers a little bit more.

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
What would you recommend as an alternative? I'm trying to find something that offers a little bit more.
Onyx has a good reputation. It's the only such app I would recommend.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:31 AM   #10
johnhurley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy_uk View Post
After every app install or OS update I always run monolingual and clear out all the languages I don't use and all specific cpu architecture code that I don't need, ie: ARM and PowerPC. I've only got 64GB to play with so I keep everything as clean as I can and delete stuff I don't need.
How do you accomplish that exactly?
johnhurley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:32 AM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhurley View Post
How do you accomplish that exactly?
How do you accomplish what?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
johnhurley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How do you accomplish what?
Clearing out other languages and other architectures etc ... what the poster noted.

I thought they meant there is some kind of boot up option to run in only 1 language but looks like monolingual is an application.

Does it work well in 10.7.2?

My machine is 256 gb and no immediate need to make any purges etc just trying to get a better feel for what people do and under what circumstances etc.

It looks like you are an advocate of manually de-installing things instead of using most of the clean up type utilities if I understand some of your postings. Are there some specific good ones out there or what should people keep in mind?

Thanks John
johnhurley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:04 AM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Clearing out other languages and other architectures etc ... what the poster noted.

I thought they meant there is some kind of boot up option to run in only 1 language but looks like monolingual is an application.
Yes, as they said, they use Monolingual, which I've used with success on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Be aware that extreme caution should be exercised when using such apps, as deleting certain languages or architectures can create significant problems. At best, deleting these things may buy you 1-2GB of drive space, but will not improve your system's performance. If you're not certain about what you're doing, don't delete anything. The small drive space savings are not worth the risk of potential problems.
Quote:
Does it work well in 10.7.2?
I don't know if it runs on Lion. Their site doesn't seem to indicate that it does.
Quote:
It looks like you are an advocate of manually de-installing things instead of using most of the clean up type utilities if I understand some of your postings.
In most cases if you just want to uninstall an app, simply drag the .app to the Trash. You don't need an uninstaller app to do that. If you're interested in removing all traces of an app, in order to free up disk space, use the manual method, as no uninstaller app is as thorough as the manual method. In either case, no app removal software is needed.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:26 AM   #14
bigeasy_uk
macrumors 6502

I'm using 10.7.2 and it works fine for me, as lion doesn't support rosetta, removing PowerPC code shouldn't be a problem as it won't run anyway.
bigeasy_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Burch
macrumors member

This is the exact message when I try to update things:

"Your hard disk does not have enough space
You need 4.38 GB of available space to download and install the updates. To increase available space, remove files from your startup disk, and then try again."
Burch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:40 AM   #16
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
This is the exact message when I try to update things:

"Your hard disk does not have enough space
You need 4.38 GB of available space to download and install the updates. To increase available space, remove files from your startup disk, and then try again."
The simplest solution is to move some of your user files to an external drive to free up space.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air